Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why can't I spin the tires off the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 08:39 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
There is a fuse for it. Pull it (if equipped) and TRAC goes away.
Realistically, you've done a bunch of mods that don't improve power. The exhaust is a nice step in the right direction but the ONLY way to "spin wheels" is to either increase power, or decrease traction. The 1UZ heads are fairly poor flowing. Bolt ons don't provide many gains for such a large motor and the automatic eats up a solid ~25% percent of your total power.
Do you know where the fuse is located? I was reading on other forums and they said there is a fuse on the driver's side in the engine compartment and there are supposed to be four relays in the box. I can only find two, so it SEEMS like trac shouldn't be on, but for whatever reason it is.
Old 05-15-12, 08:46 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
Do you know where the fuse is located? I was reading on other forums and they said there is a fuse on the driver's side in the engine compartment and there are supposed to be four relays in the box. I can only find two, so it SEEMS like trac shouldn't be on, but for whatever reason it is.
can you get a hold of the wire diagram for it? there has to be a remote wire that activates it from the computer just cut that. also the fuse might be shared with other equipment so it might be hard to take that fuse out. i use to do that with the speed limiter, there wasnt a particular fuse so i went straight to the source that told it when to come on and cut it.
Old 05-15-12, 08:51 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
can you get a hold of the wire diagram for it? there has to be a remote wire that activates it from the computer just cut that. also the fuse might be shared with other equipment so it might be hard to take that fuse out. i use to do that with the speed limiter, there wasnt a particular fuse so i went straight to the source that told it when to come on and cut it.
I've been checking around. It may take a while to find a diagram for it. What I've found other places is that people remove the trac butterfly altogether and plug the hole. That sounds like a rig to me, but I'll try it for now until I can track down a diagram.
Old 05-15-12, 09:11 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

ECU diagram

http://www.lextreme.com/PDF/scecu2.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I need to cut pins 37-40??? It also looks like there's more on pin 69. I can't really tell and I'm not sure what else cutting these wires might affect.
Old 05-15-12, 10:13 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

I don't see anywhere to disable it at the throttle body. I only have one plug by the butterfly. However I do have another thing down by the fender that has a cable on it. Is this the trac for this car? I pulled off a cable that ran to the throttle body and did notice that acceleration was BETTER, but still no tire smoking. What is this I just did?
Old 05-15-12, 10:25 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

looks like pin 17 the white wire, can you trace that wire back to the unit to verify. dont start cutting up wires, try to be very sure first. trace the harnes from the computer and follow it to the trac box
Old 05-15-12, 10:30 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

looks like pin 17 the white wire, can you trace that wire back to the unit to verify. dont start cutting up wires, try to be very sure first. trace the harnes from the computer and follow it to the trac box
For pin cutting, I'll have my dad help. He's a retired electrician, but he lives a few hours away. I'll see if he can help out when it comes to pin cutting time. I'm a little hesitant to cut anything, considering I live near Seattle and well......it rains here just a little. I'll rig a switch if that is the correct pin.

In the mean-time, I'll see what else I can do in the engine compartment to disable it.

BTW thanks for staying on this thread with me. It's always nice to have a little help.

Edit: I'm not sure how you're seeing Pin 17 as being the TRAC. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.....

Last edited by ajmccarrel; 05-15-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-15-12, 10:52 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

on the diagram go all the way to the right and down, its right below the abs ecu. trac ecu, it seems like this is the signal switch to activate the trac control.
Old 05-15-12, 11:14 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

on the diagram go all the way to the right and down, its right below the abs ecu. trac ecu, it seems like this is the signal switch to activate the trac control.
I see it now...... I'll look at my ECU later this evening and get back to you. I'll see if this makes sense.
Old 05-15-12, 01:07 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
I see it now...... I'll look at my ECU later this evening and get back to you. I'll see if this makes sense.
yeh just think it out first, you just want to interupt the signal, even putting a switch is a better idea to not loose the function totally. im just recently learning about these cars, i blew my navi, heat ac, and power mirrors installing a system. nobody could find out what it was, lexus was telling me i might need a new module that cost 4,100 bucks. i got the wire diagram, and traced each thing that was out to one spot on the fuse block. upon taking it down i found melted plastic from the fuse coating the terminal, i cleaned it put it back together and everything came back on. the only thing with you is couldnt tell you if its really your traction control or just a power loss. try this get some oil and poor it under your tires and power brake it to see if it breaks ground, if the motor seems like its shutting down then the traction is on, if it spins then you just have a drivetrain or power loss some where.
Old 05-15-12, 02:14 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

yeh just think it out first, you just want to interupt the signal, even putting a switch is a better idea to not loose the function totally. im just recently learning about these cars, i blew my navi, heat ac, and power mirrors installing a system. nobody could find out what it was, lexus was telling me i might need a new module that cost 4,100 bucks. i got the wire diagram, and traced each thing that was out to one spot on the fuse block. upon taking it down i found melted plastic from the fuse coating the terminal, i cleaned it put it back together and everything came back on. the only thing with you is couldnt tell you if its really your traction control or just a power loss. try this get some oil and poor it under your tires and power brake it to see if it breaks ground, if the motor seems like its shutting down then the traction is on, if it spins then you just have a drivetrain or power loss some where.
I'll try the oil thing. After my last post, I unhooked the line from the TRAC and also the sensor. Wow, what a difference! I'm still not spinning tires from a stand still, but it really takes off like I hoped it would. It's pretty wild! I'm sure my TRAC has been stuck on for whatever reason this whole time. I'm not able to do burnouts, despite really trying. The tires are almost brand new, so I wonder if it's just that my traction is really good right now. We've also had 70-80 degree weather the last few days, so the roads are really dry. I'll try the oil thing and see what happens.

It also could be that I have my stock mufflers bolted on right now, because I'm waiting on my new Magnaflows. They might be too restrictive and that might be contributing, since the rest of the system is 2.5 and these are 2.25 stock bolted on.

You're a VERY brave man for tracking down that melted plastic issue! I never would have attempted something like that.
Old 05-15-12, 03:11 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two TPS sensors is a give away that you had Traction Control.

What headers do you have installed? Headers are a big restriction, I'll be honest with you, even with my 5 speed swap, I can't get it to chirp tires or anything. Though I've never really tried to do a burn out or donut. Us 1UZ guys are always searching to make more power, so if there was a way to do it, it'd probably been documented somewhere.

Oh, also try to reset your ecu (in the engine bay fuse box, there's a fuse labeled EFI, should be a 20 amp), and let it sit for a few minutes and try it again.

Our computers are slightly self learning, so it tries to keep it nice and smooth, all luxury like. You might want to look into getting a SAFC for a tune. It does pretty well for a cheap unit.
Old 05-15-12, 05:33 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Two TPS sensors is a give away that you had Traction Control.

What headers do you have installed? Headers are a big restriction, I'll be honest with you, even with my 5 speed swap, I can't get it to chirp tires or anything. Though I've never really tried to do a burn out or donut. Us 1UZ guys are always searching to make more power, so if there was a way to do it, it'd probably been documented somewhere.

Oh, also try to reset your ecu (in the engine bay fuse box, there's a fuse labeled EFI, should be a 20 amp), and let it sit for a few minutes and try it again.

Our computers are slightly self learning, so it tries to keep it nice and smooth, all luxury like. You might want to look into getting a SAFC for a tune. It does pretty well for a cheap unit.
That wasn't my engine bay. It was a pic i got online, mine actually only had one tps sensor, but i still had trac. Weird... I don't have headers yet. What safc do you recommend? I was thinking unichip.
Old 05-15-12, 05:46 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

If you don't have that butterfly, you DO NOT have traction control. That's how the car handles traction control. No butterfly = no way for it to reduce power.

The thing you unplugged is the cruise control motor.

The thing with the red circle in both pics is a beauty cover. It is present on cars with or without traction control.
Attached Thumbnails Why can't I spin the tires off the line-sc400engine.jpg  
Old 05-15-12, 06:40 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I have been corrected.

Look into a Apexi SAFC

Quick Reply: Why can't I spin the tires off the line