Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heater not working...help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 08:45 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not working...help

So I did the vacuum line swap, but still not a hint of warm air. It seems I have no vacuum coming from the long hose I swapped. Any ideas people?
Old 06-07-12, 12:07 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your coolant yet?
Old 06-24-12, 05:57 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

yes...coolant is nice and full
Old 06-24-12, 07:42 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's also a electric sensor on that hose that allows the collant goto the heater core. try by passing it once just to see if that is the problem. Hardware Store and i wanna say it's 3/4" they should have something for it in the plumbing area like a brass fitting.
Old 06-24-12, 09:42 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it a step at a time. A bit more background info on what you did and what you have right now would be great.

Verify that you have vacuum at the hose with the motor idling. Put your finger on it. It won't suck it in, don't worry. If no vacuum, make sure the hose isn't kinked.

The heater control valve is half mechanical and half vacuum operated. The electronic portion allows vacuum to pass through or cuts it off. Verify that the electronic valve opens and allows vacuum to pass. I haven't seen that little piezo-whatever ya wanna call it fail yet but I'm sure its possible.

Last, make sure your mechanical arm moves on the actual mechanical portion of the valve. If the diaphram gets vacuum yet is stuck, the valve will not open.
Old 06-25-12, 09:08 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1siksc
I know it's also a electric sensor on that hose that allows the collant goto the heater core. try by passing it once just to see if that is the problem. Hardware Store and i wanna say it's 3/4" they should have something for it in the plumbing area like a brass fitting.
I will look into this

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Take it a step at a time. A bit more background info on what you did and what you have right now would be great.

Verify that you have vacuum at the hose with the motor idling. Put your finger on it. It won't suck it in, don't worry. If no vacuum, make sure the hose isn't kinked.

The heater control valve is half mechanical and half vacuum operated. The electronic portion allows vacuum to pass through or cuts it off. Verify that the electronic valve opens and allows vacuum to pass. I haven't seen that little piezo-whatever ya wanna call it fail yet but I'm sure its possible.

Last, make sure your mechanical arm moves on the actual mechanical portion of the valve. If the diaphram gets vacuum yet is stuck, the valve will not open.
Swapped the vaccuum lines...no heat. checked the long hose used to bypass the the control valve...no vacuum. Thinking im just gonna replace it
Old 03-28-13, 08:05 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue. The line that should provide a vacuum does not. I traced it all the way to the top of the intake. There are 3 vacuum lines on the very top of the intake and they are labeled with letters. I traced the one that goes to the heater control valve and I believe it is on the one labeled E. There is no vacuum even on the intake side so I know the line is not at fault. None of the other holes have vacuum either. Not sure how to proceed.
Old 03-29-13, 12:37 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I gave up on that and just bypassed the vsv. The coolant goes into heater core. Had heat all winter
Old 03-29-13, 09:15 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

I figured out that whoever had the car before me crossed the vacuum lines up good. The three lines on the very top of the manifold are not for the heater control valve. Once I got the heater control valve on an actual vacuum line the heat started working. It still doesnt get very hot though, I think there might not be enough coolant. I do check and the radiator is always full.
Old 03-30-13, 06:01 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

What about the overflow tank?
Old 03-31-13, 07:18 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

that is always full as well
Old 04-02-13, 06:39 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Burp the system maybe?
Old 04-02-13, 07:43 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

How do you do that? My camaro had bleeder valves and I am unaware of such things on this motor.
Old 04-02-13, 07:55 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check that vacuum hose again, I had a heating issue, learned about the VSV then I did the vac line swap and I had heat. If you need me to take a pic of mine let me know.
Old 04-02-13, 07:58 PM
jsimms2
Driver School Candidate

If you could take that picture it would be great. My vacuum lines were fubar when I bought it so I dont know what goes where for sure. I have the diagram on the underside of the hood but each component isnt exactly labled. And apparently the way I have it all hooked up now caused me to get an EGR system failure code.

Quick Reply: Heater not working...help