Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ (or 2JZGTE) basic wiring question (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 11:49 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1JZ (or 2JZGTE) basic wiring question (searched)

I have been reading several threads on the 1JZ swap but nothing has really answered my question.

I know from talking to a few people that you only need maybe 7-8 wires total to have your swapped 1JZ/2JZ engine harness, spliced into the project car's chassis/dash/starting harness and have the car idling and running. Does anyone know what are the minimum mandatory pin outs that need to be connected from the engine harness? I can clean up the harness and get all the gauges and what nots wired in once the car is running and able to move on its own.

There were a few on the main ECU harness, then there were a few on the Kick panel interface harness.

I know you need Power and ground to the Stock ECU.
I know you also need to connect the thick Black/orange power wires... ( cant remember which pinout, etc.)
I know you need to trigger your fuel pump, and igniter (cant remember which pinout)

Any links or feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-11-12, 12:38 PM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just for starters, there are roughly 50-60 wires that need hooked up (depending on year, and transmission type) for everything to work like factory. To get the engine running, there are 7-11 wires (again, depending on year and transmission type) to get the engine to fire.
Old 06-11-12, 01:18 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Originally Posted by TweakTech
Well just for starters, there are roughly 50-60 wires that need hooked up (depending on year, and transmission type) for everything to work like factory. To get the engine running, there are 7-11 wires (again, depending on year and transmission type) to get the engine to fire.

Understood.... I'm thinking about building a time attack car with a 1JZ/W58 or 1JZ/R154 so the dash, HVAC, power windows and all the bells and whistles will be somewhat irrelevant. Since I plan on running 15psi or so... I don't think a standalone is cost effective, where a stock ECU can easily do an adequate job.

Once the car is driving, I can focus on gauges or simply buy all new more accurate gauges and mount them into an aluminum dash panel or something. (will cross that bridge when I get to it)

are those 7-11 wires proprietary information or are you willing to share? I'm thinking about an non VVTi 1JZGTE/5spd swap. i assume once the factory ECU is plugged in those 7-11 wires are similar in all the Toyota swaps.
Old 06-11-12, 01:32 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Did a little searching on Lextreme and found this information for the 1UZ. I would imagine it is very similar for the JZ motors.

EB2 connector is a 3 pin connector and is near the igniter
EB1 connector is a 6 pin connector and is near the igniter
IJ2 connector is 17 pin connector near the ECU is dark gray, has 2 rows of pins.

You need switched power to EB2(2). This is a black and orange wire.
You need switched power to EB2(3). This is a black and red wire
You need switched power to IJ2(11). This is a black and orange wire.

You need constant power to EB1(4). This is a black and yellow wire

To start you need to supply "start" power to EB2(1) which is a black wire.

And of course you need to figure out what it takes to turn your fuel pump on. Different on every vehicle.
Old 06-12-12, 07:23 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Did a little searching on Lextreme and found this information for the 1UZ. I would imagine it is very similar for the JZ motors.

EB2 connector is a 3 pin connector and is near the igniter
EB1 connector is a 6 pin connector and is near the igniter
IJ2 connector is 17 pin connector near the ECU is dark gray, has 2 rows of pins.

You need switched power to EB2(2). This is a black and orange wire.
You need switched power to EB2(3). This is a black and red wire
You need switched power to IJ2(11). This is a black and orange wire.

You need constant power to EB1(4). This is a black and yellow wire

To start you need to supply "start" power to EB2(1) which is a black wire.

And of course you need to figure out what it takes to turn your fuel pump on. Different on every vehicle.
It's not so much that it would be the same for a JZ swap, as it would the 300 vs 400 chassis. Yes, the wiring is different between an SC400 and SC300 on the body plugs....not by much, but enough to prevent your car from starting if you were using the wrong schematic.
Old 06-12-12, 07:51 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

What car are you starting with? SC3 or SC4?

What car is the motor coming from? Chaser, Soarer, Supra, Aristo, etc?

Answer those questions and then you can get some concrete answers.