Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 07:23 AM
azsc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you so much for this info, i will get to work on these solutions. ill let you know what happens
Old 06-18-12, 06:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

How far is it to work and whatever else you do per day? I'm trying to figure out how far you went in 4 days.

Your battery and alternator are new. No use wasting time to test them when you get the same result replacing both ot them at different times. Answer me and I'll do the math and fix your problem.
Old 06-19-12, 10:15 AM
OilHammer
Driver School Candidate

Strange question, but does your "D" light dim a bit when you turn on a blinker? If you can see it go back and forth from dim to bright and back with each blink, I bet you have a connection problem. Ground, bad cables, loose connection, any of these can cause lots of problems. If you are still running the original battery cables, get some replacements. Once you change them out, cut one of the originals open from the terminal on up the jacket and see if you have green streaks in between the strands.
Old 06-26-12, 02:00 PM
azsc3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
How far is it to work and whatever else you do per day? I'm trying to figure out how far you went in 4 days.

Your battery and alternator are new. No use wasting time to test them when you get the same result replacing both ot them at different times. Answer me and I'll do the math and fix your problem.
well the problem started after i had lent the car to my dad over the weekend. the vcar as you know has heavy doors, and often people dont close them fully and then the battery drains out because the dome light or dash indicator is left on. also, if you open and leave the sunroof open it tends to suck more power while at rest. 2 or more of these things were done over the 2 days he had the car id guess.

now when i got it back, he told me the battery light on the dash had been coming on and off. so i drove the car home after we exhanged vehicles and it died on me less than 1 mile later. total eletrical shutdown. loss of lights, then power steering. so the next day, my brother steps in and says he will put a new alternator in it, because he said he charged the cars batery all night, and it wasnt holding a charge.

so when he installs the new alternator, i drive it again, and it dies about 2 days later after driving back and forth to work, and maybe a total of 40 miles. all this time the batery light had been blinking on and off. i thought it was just a faulty signal and maybe not worry about it. so after getting standed and having to push it yet again, after it died on me, i let the car sit in frustration because i know very little about cars.

so i get the battery tested, and they say its fine. so i buy a battery, cause someone tells me that means nothing and there could be a bad cell in the battery. so after i install the new battery, the car dies on me again, same secenario, flickering of abs, traction control lights, battery light, things go dim, then lose power steering then finally engine dies. so i had to jumpt it a couple of times just to get it home to my garage.. it would drive maybe 1 mile and then die again.

sorry for the long story,
Old 07-30-12, 02:53 PM
azsc3
Driver School Candidate

it was the alternator, i had one pout in but it was faulty, they said it happnes every once in awhile, so they put another one in, and the car has been working fine, thanks for all your replies, i appreciate it