Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 04:32 PM
kpax478
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuild

Hi all, I am in need of your help, by the end of next month I will be rebuilding the top half of my sc300 but I am looking for a little bump in power what type of cam can I put in there too get a little more power from this engine? I don't hotrod just a little passing power, Im not looking for a 300 HP engine that's what my gs350 is for. The reason I am rebuilding is because the power is gone, after 248k she is weak. any help given is much appreciated.
Old 06-20-12, 05:17 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kpax478
Hi all, I am in need of your help, by the end of next month I will be rebuilding the top half of my sc300 but I am looking for a little bump in power what type of cam can I put in there too get a little more power from this engine? I don't hotrod just a little passing power, Im not looking for a 300 HP engine that's what my gs350 is for. The reason I am rebuilding is because the power is gone, after 248k she is weak. any help given is much appreciated.

Just as a little help be careful what you wish for as with that kind of mileage redoing the head and tightening it all up will surely pronounce any and all deficiencies in the bottom IE: ring issues etc etc.
Old 06-20-12, 05:35 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

no one really makes cams for the 2jzge because of the dizzy gear on the exhaust side. few companies can weld and do a regrind to whatever spec you want but cost wise not worth it. since its already apart why not check the bottom end? its probably due for a complete rebuild and you already have it apart.

id say do a full rebuild get everything back in spec and re sealed and new parts like dizzy, spark wires, plugs and bfi mod, not worth adding anything else
Old 06-20-12, 07:33 PM
kpax478
Driver School Candidate

So from you all opinion, it probably be cheaper too just find a used engine with low mileage
and do a swap?
Old 06-21-12, 11:36 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

ding ding ding ding!!! winna winna chicken dinna!!!
Old 06-21-12, 01:05 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1, cams: when i was looking for cams for another vehicle, it was recommended to tune the ecu instead. you should be able to find a shop that can do that.

2, rebuild: i agree, if youre gonna rebuild, you should rebuild the whole thing.

3. im in the process of rebuilding the motor on the aforementioned 'other vehicle.' even though ill be rebuilding it myself, thus not paying for labor, im going to have to take it to the machine shop to have it hot tanked (cleaned,) honed, decked, etc. after buying all the parts and paying the machinist, it'll probably be cheaper to have just bought another motor. same probably goes for you.
Old 06-22-12, 05:35 AM
kpax478
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help. I been looking at eBay for engines but they can be a little pricey, a place near me in Ga claims too sell engine from japan that has low miles, he claims all I have to do is replace certain items on motor and I should be fine but he will not tell me what needs to be changed out, but he will charge me around 1600 to do whole job with 3 months warranty on engine, whats you all opinion.