Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ecu!!! ecu!!! ecu!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 12:43 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but if im going to be installing an obd2 supra nonvvti ecu isnt that kinda just like its obd2?
Old 06-27-12, 12:52 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

but if i get the obd2 supra ecu, wouldnt that make the car obd2?
unless you mean other types of obsticles? and if so which ones?
heres the simplest way to put it. i only want a usdm supra engine. obd2 non vvt-i.
i want a usdm supra manual ecu. obd2 non vvt-i.
i'm also going to need the usdm supra manual wiring harness. obd2 non vvt-i.
if i get those then that basically means im gonna have a supra, on a sc. so that makes complete wiring and everything obd2. doesnt it?
you said as long as its the same year or anything before. so thats where the sc shell comes in. to be able to put engine, ecu, and wires into. then go and pass smog.
Old 06-27-12, 04:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

ok well since you havent bought your car yet maybe we can give you some more info to help decide.
there is only maybe 1 or 2 years where there was odb2 non vvti SC/supra and they are a bit tricky. they have all of the odb2 stuff and none of the ignition stuff, as in no coilpacks, just a distributor with 1 remote coil. so you will have to look at my thread for wiring up coilpacks, basically what you want it the tt ecu mod.
read this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-odb1-sc3.html

honestly of all 3 options odb2 non vvti is my least favorite IMO because you get all the disadvantages of odb2, with non of the benefits of vvti.
most people usually pick an odb1 car because it is the easiest to swap ecu's and you have to pass the roller test which is much simpler/easier then plugging into a computer/scanner. odb1 can throw codes and still pass if you pass the roller, or not even light up the CEL at all (standalone).
In summary, I don't really see the point of bothering with odb2 unless you want to run a vvti motor, or already own a 96+ SC.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-27-12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 08:36 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

well the only reason I want obd2 is because its so much easier to monitor what's going on under the hood. I can access all the sensors through the obd2 connection. I know its stricter on emissions but its smoother on technology. I don't mind obd1. I'd put a obd1 supra engine and ecu but how much harder is it to put sensors to monitor say, coolant temperature, or a/f ratios or anything?

Last edited by grumpi300; 06-27-12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 10:53 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

So let's say I do get vvt-i. How much better is it? How much harder to tune? I'll try searching for answers but I'd rather take it from experienced 2jz owners and tuners than Honda tuners.
Old 06-28-12, 05:27 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grumpi300
So let's say I do get vvt-i. How much better is it? How much harder to tune? I'll try searching for answers but I'd rather take it from experienced 2jz owners and tuners than Honda tuners.
Just stick with your non VVTI 2jzgte parts are easier to come by.
Old 06-28-12, 05:52 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't go VVT-i GTE and pass an OBDII plugin test without massive trickery involving simulators or complex parallel ECU installs. No VVT-i GTE is OBDII compliant, so there is no plug and play ECU you could use to pass it.

If you REALLY want OBDII technology, just get an OBDI car, and swap the gte into it. Then you can run a USDM OBDI, JDM with minor changes, standalone, OR an OBDII USDM ecu. See how much flexibility you have?

If you get an OBDII chassis, you HAVE to run an OBDII ECU to pass emissions. You can do it, but you are severely limited in your options.
Old 06-28-12, 08:09 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

no i dont have anything yet. i just wanted all this information so i can know which to save up for, obd1 sc300 or obd2 sc300.

so thanks to everybody for such useful and insightful information. i now know which to get. ***obd2***

buying a 97 sc tho is gonna be the easy part. saving up for 97 usdm 2jz-gte, 97 usdm supra ecu, a 97 usdm supra wiring harness, and a r154 transmission is also easy. the hardest part is obviously gonna be putting it in my sc. and hoping i do it all right to be able to pass smog.
ali, what did you mean by, "i have to add all the ignition stuff"?
i'm new to wiring and by no means am i in a rush to find out because itll take a long time before i actually get this project started. but knowing some stuff in advance would be a big help.
You don't necessarily have to buy a US spec 2JZ. You can buy an Aristo 2JZ and convert it to USDM spec. The JDM Aristo harness can ALSO be converted to US spec (I've done this) The main things that you'll need to get if you go Aristo 2JZ is a 96 USDM TT MAF, 96 USDM TT ECU (If you're going manual, get a manual ECU, or you'll have a CEL since it's OBD-II) USDM 550cc injectors w/resistor pack, and EGR setup.

Also, if you want your car to be OBD-II compliant, "VVTi GTE" should NOT be part of your vocabulary right now.
Old 06-28-12, 11:01 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

OK. Thank you all for the help. Tweak, I'd go aristo 2j since its cheaper but if you really think about it how much cheaper is I? You have to change stuff around to fit. If I buy a supra 2j its just buy and install. at least I think it is
Stockhatch. If I buy a 96 or 97 obd2 chassis that still give me room for the 97/98. So what exactly do you man by my options will be limited?
Old 06-28-12, 11:33 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

OK. Thank you all for the help. Tweak, I'd go aristo 2j since its cheaper but if you really think about it how much cheaper is I? You have to change stuff around to fit. If I buy a supra 2j its just buy and install. at least I think it is
Stockhatch. If I buy a 96 or 97 obd2 chassis that still give me room for the 97/98. So what exactly do you man by my options will be limited?
"Buy and install" for just the engine, the harness still needs configured to work in your SC chassis.

There really isn't that much more you would have to change to get an Aristo 2JZ to work in your SC....you reuse your GE rear sump pan, you buy a USDM water pump/clutch fan setup. injectors, MAF, EGR....all those things you can find reasonably priced on Supraforums or Supramania.
Old 06-28-12, 11:35 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

What he is implying is that if you get something that is PRE-96, then you won't have to worry about any type of inspection procedure, whether you convert it to OBD-II or not. If you have a 94 with an OBD-II computer unit, the state is not going to plug into that car to check readiness monitors or CEL status. The only thing that needs to be verified on a car that is not equipped with and OBD-II system is the condition of its safety and hard emissions equipment like cats and an evap system.
Old 06-28-12, 11:43 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SFrymyah
What he is implying is that if you get something that is PRE-96, then you won't have to worry about any type of inspection procedure, whether you convert it to OBD-II or not. If you have a 94 with an OBD-II computer unit, the state is not going to plug into that car to check readiness monitors or CEL status. The only thing that needs to be verified on a car that is not equipped with and OBD-II system is the condition of its safety and hard emissions equipment like cats and an evap system.
Exactly.
Old 06-28-12, 11:53 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Exactly.
I used to inspect, If theres a loophole in the NC inspection system, either I've found it or i know someone else that has. The guys on your importsNC thread are all going off of what their buddy told them.

I've found its way way way easier to just buy something older than a 96 and go have a ball. Sure, its still almost a requirement that you have a friend that inspects cars, but not having to outsmart a computer sure is a whole lot easier and cheaper and faster than having to read through all of the misinformation and go through such a lengthy, ridiculous trial-and-error process.

OP, it is genuinely better to go with a car absolutely no newer than a 95. It was a federal requirement for all vehicles 96-present to be equipped with an OBD-II system. The system began rolling out in late 94, but since it wasn't a requirement, no one can legally test is functionality in a state mandated inspection process. With that said, choosing an OBD-II ecu yields zero benefit over one that is OBD-I. OBD-II is essentially the same system as OBD-I, difference being that a computer system can read it off the ECU as a universal language.
Old 06-28-12, 12:01 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Stockhatch - I think its also worth noting that model year requirements in relation to VIN may not be as much an issue as you think.

I had a 99 DSM come in with a 97 ECU that passed with zero issue, same with a 98 with a 97 ECU. I think the model year rule changed somewhere around 2005, but don't hold me to that

For anyone reading this, please take note I'm referring to North Carolina and things may vary from state to state.
Old 06-28-12, 12:01 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that. The only reason I was exploring OBDII swaps was because I really would love to build on a newer platform for a change. If a 94 GS300 looked and felt like a 98+ GS300, I would build the old one without a doubt! Either way, I have decided OBDII swaps in a Toyota are not worth the hassle(to me) if you have to pass an OBDII insepection.

With that said, I do have to recognize that the OBDII Supra ECU is a very nice unit. If you intend to stick with stock fuel, the OBDII ecu can typically be pushed further, safer than its OBDI counterpart. And the built-in monitoring and diagnostics ARE a nice advantage.

Quick Reply: ecu!!! ecu!!! ecu!!!