Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 random major oil leak wtf!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 03:12 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc400 random major oil leak wtf!!!!!!!!

today i was driving my sc400 and the oil light flashed like 5 miles away from my house, i was like ok i guess its time for an oil change i went to auto zone and bought some oil and i filter, while i was pulling out i saw a puddle of oil on the parking lot floor i taught to myself it cant be my car, when i got home i pulled into my drive way and there is a trail of oil coming from my car i looked under my car and it is pouring oil, i have never had any issues with the car before and there was never any oil leak AT ALL now this, i dont know what is wrong, someone please help me, i have tried uploading more pics but they are too large to be uploaded hopefully someone can help based on the one that i managed to upload. thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails sc400 random major oil leak wtf!!!!!!!!-sc4.png  
Old 07-16-12, 03:21 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cam seal or vc gasket
Old 07-16-12, 03:45 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by chingpo05
cam seal or vc gasket
Do these just explode like this I have never seen something like this before.
Old 07-16-12, 04:02 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

You may wish to take a better photo. I can't see **** in that photo. Where exactly do you see the leak coming from? It could be your valve cover gaskets, especially if they were replaced and the valve cover fasteners were over torqued.
Old 07-16-12, 04:19 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
You may wish to take a better photo. I can't see **** in that photo. Where exactly do you see the leak coming from? It could be your valve cover gaskets, especially if they were replaced and the valve cover fasteners were over torqued.
I think the pic is adequate enough lol. It's coming from the driver side valve cover that's what it seems like at least. I tried posting larger photos but cl isn't letting me it says attachment is too large.
Old 07-16-12, 04:49 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Then remove the valve cover and inspect underneath. If the spark plug galley is drenched in oil, replace the valve cover gaskets. I can't remember the torque specifications for the valve covers, but it isn't much. Also, replace the rubber grommets around the top of each spark plug cylinder.
Old 07-16-12, 04:55 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You definitely have a valve cover gasket leak, but usually these things will drip and but not be a full on waterfall.
Old 07-16-12, 06:31 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same thing going on right now, it's the camshaft seals, I am yet to check the crankshaft seal on mine. But these 2 will make you lose a lot of oil to The point of making your oil light light up.
Old 07-16-12, 06:44 PM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Strange story kind of on topic.
I was getting the oil changed in my 95 sc400 last week at a quick lube place when the lube tech asked me to come down and take a look at something under the car. My car had allot of oil on the pan. I asked him if he could spot the leak and he said it was the upper pan gasket and the motor would have to be pulled to replace it. He then went on to tell me that i should just wait until the leak is much worse because once i replace the one gasket on the car another one would surely begin leaking and that the 4.0 Toyota motors are notorious for this.

This was news to me. Did this guy have a clue what he was talking about or has he inhaled too many exhaust fumes and is confused?
Old 07-16-12, 07:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's either the valve cover or the cam seals or both. Oil runs down and back from the fan. I say start by tightening in a criss cross pattern, from middle out on the valve covers, and see if that slows the leak until you can get it fixed. Jmo.
Old 07-17-12, 12:50 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TexLexSC
Strange story kind of on topic.
I was getting the oil changed in my 95 sc400 last week at a quick lube place when the lube tech asked me to come down and take a look at something under the car. My car had allot of oil on the pan. I asked him if he could spot the leak and he said it was the upper pan gasket and the motor would have to be pulled to replace it. He then went on to tell me that i should just wait until the leak is much worse because once i replace the one gasket on the car another one would surely begin leaking and that the 4.0 Toyota motors are notorious for this.

This was news to me. Did this guy have a clue what he was talking about or has he inhaled too many exhaust fumes and is confused?
usually seals and gaskets leak over time of shrinking and expanding from hot/cold conditions. all seals and belts have a lifetime of about 80k to be safe but ive seen cars that are daily driven with t belts and seals that were oem, never touched, go for 150k. daily driven is the key bc when you keep normal operating temps constant you dont allow gaskets to shrink or become hard/brittle. if you are loosing more than a quart per oil change then i would say fix it asap but in short the guy was talking out of his a$$. most customers cant fork out the cash to change absolutely every gasket/seal/belt all at once. fix w/e leaks and keep you motor happy with clean oil, coolant, plugs, good gas, and other scheduled maintenance. also if you have an oil leak start from the top and work your way down (logical way of fixing leaks.) gl
Old 07-17-12, 04:43 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by chingpo05
usually seals and gaskets leak over time of shrinking and expanding from hot/cold conditions. all seals and belts have a lifetime of about 80k to be safe but ive seen cars that are daily driven with t belts and seals that were oem, never touched, go for 150k. daily driven is the key bc when you keep normal operating temps constant you dont allow gaskets to shrink or become hard/brittle. if you are loosing more than a quart per oil change then i would say fix it asap but in short the guy was talking out of his a$$. most customers cant fork out the cash to change absolutely every gasket/seal/belt all at once. fix w/e leaks and keep you motor happy with clean oil, coolant, plugs, good gas, and other scheduled maintenance. also if you have an oil leak start from the top and work your way down (logical way of fixing leaks.) gl
Well in 3 weeks I haven't seen a single drop in my driveway so I don't think the leak is too bad. I was just shocked at how filthy the pan was with oil. The timing belt and water pump were just changed by the dealer I bought the car from so I was shocked to see that mess down there.

I have always replaced gaskets as needed and found it strange that the tech was discouraging me from trying to find the source of this oil and replace just that one.

I need to get it all degreased and get a better idea of what's going on under there. I just thought I would throw this out there since I found it strange and alarming to hear.
Old 07-18-12, 04:40 PM
flsc300
Rookie

ok i had the valve cove gasket replaced and started the car and there is still an oil waterfall under my car so i am now aware that it is my crank shaft seal. so i am doin the timing belt water pump and all that good stuff, i still find it weird that it went from not leaking to pouring oil. o well at least i know what the problem is now, thanks guys.
Old 07-18-12, 07:25 PM
chaacmool1
Rookie

[url]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/chaacmool_photos/Picture002-5.jpg[/url
yesterday I'M driving my sc400 and the oil light flashed this car have 244,363 miles and see
same leak oil

Last edited by chaacmool1; 07-18-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 11:00 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

take off your covers and look for it!!!! no one will be able to tell you exactly where the prob is execpt there are only certain areas that is supp to seal oil in. cam seals, crank seals, vc gaskets, oil pan gaskets, oil pump sealants etc

Quick Reply: sc400 random major oil leak wtf!!!!!!!!