Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Head Gasket? Radiator? 1992SC300 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 05:01 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexsingle
factory toyota also has the rivets holding multiple layer together on the gasket if I remember it correctly, toyota card board wrapped don't remember if the wrap has any writing on it or not though, only reason I remember is I have removed and replaced alot of them while building cars with oem parts. if memory serves me right the rivets are goldish in color
Thanks!!! So do the rivets need to be removed like on the cometic head gaskets? I cant see toyota putting them there if they would interfere...But just want to be sure. Doing my head gasket for the 2nd time and want to do everything possible right.

I received all my needed parts Toyota OEM Supra TT MLS Gasket, ARP Head Studs and a Gates Racing Timing Belt.

Still need to order oil and a filter from my Amsoil guy....kinda sucks though as I just changed the oil maybe 500 miles before the head gasket went... I use the Signature Series 0W-30. It's good for 15-25 thousand miles. Crazy awesome stuff.

Project pics to come soon.

Hopefully I can get started on this soon. I was hoping to get started today but my mechanic buddy is busy on another project.
Old 08-13-12, 09:12 AM
Lexsingle
Driver School Candidate

Just make sure the block amd head is even after blowing headgasket, make sure its clean and just install it as is, the rivets are there to holds the layers together
Old 08-13-12, 05:32 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Yeah I am having the block machined for sure...Not quite how to check and or have the block done as my car will be in my back yard... I can bring the head into the shop but not my engine...lol Thanks for the heads up about the rivets staying. Confusing somewhat though as it has 4 rivets and the cometic head gasket has only 2 and every forum I have read about using the cometic says they had to remove the rivets to get a good seal.... Guessing the OEM toyota one has the rivets in better places... Project should start in the next day or few. Was hoping for a start on Sunday but my mechanic was busy. Just a waiting game now...
Old 08-14-12, 02:51 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck compadre, as far as decking the cast iron block, most likely you wont need to unless the car overheated really badly. Use a flat blade gasket scraper, some acetone and maybe 400 grit sandpaper or steel wool to remove as much old material as possible...but be careful to not get this material or grit into the cylinders or oil passages (although if it does happen, you can clean out the cylinders with white paper towels and WD-40/ATF/motor oil, and maybe flush out the oil). But yea...machining the block would require you to pull the motor. Good luck!

Also, yea the stock toyota HG does have rivets and comes wrapped in un-marked clear plastic. It has three layers I believe and just feels nice in the hands haha