Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Head work

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 10:22 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head work

Anyone had any serious head work done? I'm not talking valve springs and valves..but porting polishing ect? My instructor at school and I were talking about the CFM flow of the 2JZGE head vs the GTE head and how the head itself is a poor flowing design (he says the GTE engine runs at 80% VE, while naturally the GE runs at a slightly less, maybe 60% due to the lack of compressed air).The guy definitely knows his ****..he's got a 7 second twin turbo T/A..and a 1000 horse K series Integra flowing over 300CFM. My questions for the forum members is..
What sort of head work did you have done?
How much did you spend?
Did you have it flow benched?
What cams are you running?
As far as a turbo setup, I think that especially having the exhaust ports ported, we could see a drastic increase in boost at lower RPMs due to the easier flow of exhaust gases and a quicker spool. I don't think it would be too difficult to see 100% or even higher volumetric efficiency with a good port/polish, higher lift cams and larger valves.
Anyway, just trying to get a feel for what some other members think about head work since I don't see a lot of member talking about it!
Old 08-02-12, 10:34 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Anyone had any serious head work done? I'm not talking valve springs and valves..but porting polishing ect? My instructor at school and I were talking about the CFM flow of the 2JZGE head vs the GTE head and how the head itself is a poor flowing design (he says the GTE engine runs at 80% VE, while naturally the GE runs at a slightly less, maybe 60% due to the lack of compressed air).The guy definitely knows his ****..he's got a 7 second twin turbo T/A..and a 1000 horse K series Integra flowing over 300CFM. My questions for the forum members is..
What sort of head work did you have done?
How much did you spend?
Did you have it flow benched?
What cams are you running?
As far as a turbo setup, I think that especially having the exhaust ports ported, we could see a drastic increase in boost at lower RPMs due to the easier flow of exhaust gases and a quicker spool. I don't think it would be too difficult to see 100% or even higher volumetric efficiency with a good port/polish, higher lift cams and larger valves.
Anyway, just trying to get a feel for what some other members think about head work since I don't see a lot of member talking about it!
Well the sig below is my car with a full port on head, 1mm over valves, 272 cams with a 945 lift. The head is definitely a power maker with the right work, but on the J's the stock plenum/ TB is where the motors start having the problem as the stock head is capable even in stock form of of making 7-750 relatively easily but after that is when we start having a problem with keeping the plenum full of air.
These are my thoughts!!
Old 08-02-12, 10:39 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Well the sig below is my car with a full port on head, 1mm over valves, 272 cams with a 945 lift. The head is definitely a power maker with the right work, but on the J's the stock plenum/ TB is where the motors start having the problem as the stock head is capable even in stock form of of making 7-750 relatively easily but after that is when we start having a problem with keeping the plenum full of air.
These are my thoughts!!
I love the quick response! Where do you start building boost in your powerband? How long do you stay in the boost? Have you thought about running a larger TB/Plenum? With the right headwork and right build we should be able to make over 700 on a relatively lower amount of boost..but maybe my imagination is just running wild. I guess I just need to make more money and build an engine for my own testing purposes!
Old 08-02-12, 10:53 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I love the quick response! Where do you start building boost in your powerband? How long do you stay in the boost? Have you thought about running a larger TB/Plenum? With the right headwork and right build we should be able to make over 700 on a relatively lower amount of boost..but maybe my imagination is just running wild. I guess I just need to make more money and build an engine for my own testing purposes!
I appreciate your enthusiasm but this topic about how much boost and all the other ???? you have are so well documented that the 2jz bible has pretty much already been created try going to SF and just search and read. To answer your powerband ? I get the start of boost at about 4200 and take it all the way to my soft cut at 8800 rpms through all my gears (6spd) a bigger plenum has positives and negatives there is no 1 silver bullet, but before u start thinking your going to recreate this game remember that This platform has been making big power for well over 15 yrs.
Good luck
Old 08-02-12, 11:06 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
I appreciate your enthusiasm but this topic about how much boost and all the other ???? you have are so well documented that the 2jz bible has pretty much already been created try going to SF and just search and read. To answer your powerband ? I get the start of boost at about 4200 and take it all the way to my soft cut at 8800 rpms through all my gears (6spd) a bigger plenum has positives and negatives there is no 1 silver bullet, but before u start thinking your going to recreate this game remember that This platform has been making big power for well over 15 yrs.
Good luck
I wish I could reinvent the game! hah but I eventually want to build a blueprinted engine, completely balanced with a streetable 800 horsepower and start boost closer to 2500-3000RPM. obviously there is no single way to do this, but I think with enough head work, engine building techniques and the right turbo selection it is definitely possible. I'm thinking deep into volumetric efficiency, getting as much air in and as much air out (with fuel to match accordingly). I keep telling myself I just need to land a GTE head and start to build it and see how much flow I can actually get out of it without being crazy. I never really realized how important the head is for making bigger power.
Old 08-02-12, 11:31 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I wish I could reinvent the game! hah but I eventually want to build a blueprinted engine, completely balanced with a streetable 800 horsepower and start boost closer to 2500-3000RPM. obviously there is no single way to do this, but I think with enough head work, engine building techniques and the right turbo selection it is definitely possible. I'm thinking deep into volumetric efficiency, getting as much air in and as much air out (with fuel to match accordingly). I keep telling myself I just need to land a GTE head and start to build it and see how much flow I can actually get out of it without being crazy. I never really realized how important the head is for making bigger power.
I wish you the best but your smoking some serious crack the mold is a J and its only so big as is the head IE: your not going to get a 4" piston in a 86mm bore nor will you get a 50mm valve in a 2 j head and there is only so much material you can remove from the head before you destroy it.

This is not a 502+CI motor with the ability to just bore bigger cause we have 2' of material between the pistons.
But hey if you have a 5 axis cnc machine a rather large piece of billet aluminum and a good programer please feel free to contribute to the 2j community and build us a block so we can stroke it to say a 6 litre and make 2500hp on 21psi

Sorry but lay off the medicinal stuff
Old 08-02-12, 11:35 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Haha i know i guess im thinking more about the science and less about what im building!
Old 08-03-12, 06:39 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post