Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best turbo route simplified

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 02:23 AM
arosc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best turbo route simplified

Couldn't find any helpful threads on the best way to maximize horsepower gains for the SC so decided to make a thread to clarify the possible potential paths. Is a GTE swap a better option than going NA-T? What about aftermarket twin turbo vs stock GTE ? Where would I be able to find a brand new GTE engine and can I put aftermarket twin turbos on it or can I do it on the 2JZ-GE? What kind of price range should I be expecting from these methods? What are the yields ? Sorry for bein a total newbie but I just need some clarification. Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your inputs.
Old 08-03-12, 02:48 AM
Davidddd
Pole Position

Depends what you mean by better? Reliability or power?
Old 08-03-12, 04:07 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

I'm in the same boat Idk whether to go na-t or 1jz but honestly if you search harder I promise you can find so much info on this subject.
Old 08-03-12, 06:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

seriously bro , this topic hs been beaten to death , reincarnated and beaten again and again and again .. all the info you could ever need is right there by a quick search ..their are pro's and con's to each approach , period
Old 08-03-12, 07:04 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+a+2JZ+GTE+sw...an+going+NA-T#
Old 08-03-12, 08:28 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

^^^^^lol Ive never seen that before!!!! That's awesome
Old 08-03-12, 09:14 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

na-t, because you already have the motor and you see no reason to get another, esp when it can handle more than enough for a DD setup and than some.
1jz, you don't like the idea of 'custom' just want a nice turn key setup
2jz-gte, again you want a turn key setup but have a little more money so you get more power for a stock setup.

i personally would go na-t for two 4 reasons.
i know the actual mileage of motor, you own it already, the money you spend will be for a single setup where as when you go gte you have to buy the swap than go single which means more money in the end. and they ugly intake manifold produces just a tad more torque.... who doesn't like torque!???

the 5/6 speed factor also plays a part in the decision but that's not what you asked.

Last edited by iridebmx; 08-03-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 09:59 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thread like this...
Old 08-03-12, 10:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Guys if you want to tell the OP to "use search" or complain about seeing a repeat topic, I suggest you do not post unless you link him to a good thread you recall or that you have found yourself using search and tell him the keywords you used.

Bumping this thread just to hear yourself complain only exacerbates the problem for everybody else. Be a part of the solution.
Old 08-03-12, 10:19 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm kinda proud of this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post6076071
Old 08-03-12, 06:46 PM
arosc3
Driver School Candidate

thanks. lots of info here. i will be looking through here

Originally Posted by iridebmx
na-t, because you already have the motor and you see no reason to get another, esp when it can handle more than enough for a DD setup and than some.
1jz, you don't like the idea of 'custom' just want a nice turn key setup
2jz-gte, again you want a turn key setup but have a little more money so you get more power for a stock setup.

i personally would go na-t for two 4 reasons.
i know the actual mileage of motor, you own it already, the money you spend will be for a single setup where as when you go gte you have to buy the swap than go single which means more money in the end. and they ugly intake manifold produces just a tad more torque.... who doesn't like torque!???

the 5/6 speed factor also plays a part in the decision but that's not what you asked.
6-speed is supposedly faster/better am i right?

i'm not sure if it's a safe idea to go NA-t on original motor with 150k+ miles. i'm also trying to hit 500+ hp when i'm ready for a swap/turbo build

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
thanks! very helpful basic info
Old 08-03-12, 07:20 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arosc3
i'm not sure if it's a safe idea to go NA-t on original motor with 150k+ miles. i'm also trying to hit 500+ hp when i'm ready for a swap/turbo build
mine has 173k miles
Old 08-03-12, 07:27 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arosc3
6-speed is supposedly faster/better am i right?

A 6-speed swap is not necessarily for everyone. It involves a lot more than just bolting the transmission up. You'll have to source a driveshaft, differential and output shafts. If you're shooting for ~500, the R154 will handle it with no issues.

Realistically mileage is not a major concern. As long as scheduled maintenance has been performed and compression/leak down test show good I would not hesitate to add boost. Depending on your setup and aggressiveness of tune, you're only looking at around 15-17 pounds. Quicksc4 has 173k plus and is running 24 pounds making 700whp.

Last edited by SChema; 08-03-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 07:35 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the facts.

A boosted 2jz at even 350hp and a LSD will make you crap your pants.

Further modifications only increase the amount of crap that comes out of your pants.

NA-T, GTE, Supercharger or 150hp Nitrous on a GE will make you re-evaluate your position on the road compared to everything else.

Alot of hype is caught up in big Dyno sheets and highway rolls, but seriously 350-400 is enough for handcuff speeds in any state, so keep that in mind.
Old 08-06-12, 11:59 AM
97sc3
Driver School Candidate

Default swap

do baby steps, see how u like it, then spend more, the na engine is virtually the same, but the aristo swap is a little more plug and play, problem is most people decide to ditch the twins later, so u might as well go nat to save.

Quick Reply: Best turbo route simplified