Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 10:43 AM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, Id suggest finding a healthy GE swap it in, then boost it and use a GTE harness/ecu to control it... or find a soarer 1J swap and plug it in. No need to over complicate anything, especially with a LS1 swap.
Old 08-15-12, 11:58 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Going NA-T isn't that expensive.. especially cause you can pick up a good used GE for like $450 these days..

I have almost 155k on my NA-T making 422whp without a single issue... other than the **** W58 trans, And I havent even turned up the boost yet. Also.. 400hp in these cars isnt that much.. believe me, once you get 400hp for a couple months.. the car starts to feel slow again..

Save yourself the cash and go NA-T... Unless you have money to blow and wanna make over 500whp.
Old 08-15-12, 05:31 PM
Kire
Driver

An LS1 would be good and unique but I don't have the skills or funds for a swap like that.
Old 08-15-12, 08:09 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kire
An LS1 would be good and unique but I don't have the skills or funds for a swap like that.
AND ^^^^^^^^^^^^ it will be SLOW
Old 08-16-12, 07:57 AM
MaszSC300
Driver School Candidate

yeah i've got 415 hp in my 2jz and it does feel slow. honesty my buddy has his at 600hp and that feels just right to pull cars that wouldn't expect it.
Old 08-16-12, 11:50 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you not going to make 400hp on 1j with stock twins...maybe at the crank at best. If the way GE manifold looks dosent bother you i say do NA-T they are proven to make big power for Little $$. Also theres alot less headaches and parts that need to be purchased. Either way plan on spending around 4grand on a swap if you do it yourself. I would say best thing would be this and i know quicksc4 agrees with me as we had this conversation. If you worried about money, reconsider selling your car and buying a car thats already done. You can pick up a swapped decent 1j car for around 7k. If your interior/exterior on the current car needs work...cut your looses now before its too late.
Old 08-16-12, 03:44 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All projects period cost BANK. If you want it done right and have fun you gotta pay
Old 08-17-12, 08:25 AM
Kire
Driver

Originally Posted by MDSC
you not going to make 400hp on 1j with stock twins...maybe at the crank at best. If the way GE manifold looks dosent bother you i say do NA-T they are proven to make big power for Little $$. Also theres alot less headaches and parts that need to be purchased. Either way plan on spending around 4grand on a swap if you do it yourself. I would say best thing would be this and i know quicksc4 agrees with me as we had this conversation. If you worried about money, reconsider selling your car and buying a car thats already done. You can pick up a swapped decent 1j car for around 7k. If your interior/exterior on the current car needs work...cut your looses now before its too late.
Don't they sell an aftermarket manifold that looks and performs better?
Old 08-17-12, 09:10 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Yes and depending on how much you are trying to spend they go from $350-$1800 !

Both setups are not cheap , it is going to cost you money regardless, So just pick the route you wanna go and do some research on it.

1jzgte/2jzgte or na-t regardless you will have to buy parts left and right, and it's not cheap you already know that.

gl
Old 08-17-12, 10:39 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
Ill def agree with you! If you budget concious, buy a swapped SC already.. cut your losses on the current car and buy something already done.. then upgrade from there when the money comes available.

GL
Old 08-17-12, 10:41 AM
Kire
Driver

I agree and I figure if I'm going to dump a bunch of money in to this car I might as well do it right and do what I've wanted to do. I'm sticking with a swap I just have to decide on some details.
Old 08-17-12, 12:00 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
^^^ Yeah in your case gte is your best friend!

For FYI those motors do not all have 40k to 90k miles , it's not true , it's a lie.
I agree plus they sometimes have a lot of gunk.
Old 08-17-12, 07:03 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kire
I agree and I figure if I'm going to dump a bunch of money in to this car I might as well do it right and do what I've wanted to do. I'm sticking with a swap I just have to decide on some details.
GL to you
Old 08-28-12, 11:21 PM
Kire
Driver

I'm going with the 1JZ. I'm checking out Suspicious Garage here in Phoenix for a motor. A friend of mine had some work done on his S14 and recommended them.

I noticed that the MKIII also has a 1JZGTE with the same sump so how would I be able to tell if the engine is from a Soarer or a Supra? I prefer a Soarer setup to prevent wiring headaches and issues. The only things I could find on the forums were that the water pumps could be different (clutch vs hydro) and the clips on the ECU are also different but could someone point me to the right direction or post pictures of some examples?

The water pumps are what through me off because to be honest.
Old 08-29-12, 05:43 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

you should check the Sc300-400 FS section as there is a complete 1J soarer swap already wired and the seller is a straight up guy.

Quick Reply: 1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE Swap?