Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

horsepower upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02 | 01:08 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Default horsepower upgrade

I'm in the process of an NA-T conversion for my '95 sc300. I performed the 6-speed install, and the shop that I've made arrangements with is performing the turbo conversion.

Here's the basic kit:

cast steel turbo manifold
T04 60-1 turbo
external wastegate
2.5" IC piping
Spearco front mount IC
440cc injectors
HKS VPC
3mm Head gasket
BOV

The shop has the project set for 450Hp at the wheels. The shop is well known in the Supra community, and I would mention them here. But I'm waiting to see the final product.

Once it's installed, I'm sure I'll want to incrementally increase the horsepower. Aside from larger injectors and corresponding changes to the vpc, what from the above list will have to be replaced? What do you think is missing? How much more can I get out of the T04 before it was to go? They didn't mention a boost controller in the basic kit. Is one required for this project?

The shop has scheduled the turbo conversion for early January, and I want a baseline that I can build from without having to replace critical/expensive components.

Thanks in advanced,
-scott
Old 11-25-02 | 06:13 PM
liazon
Advanced

congrats on the pending upgrades...........mind if i ask the ballpark $figure for these upgrades....i'm thinking of switching from my gs to an sc ($$).

are your expectations for a pretty high maintenance car after the upgrades?
Old 11-25-02 | 07:00 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by liazon
...........mind if i ask the ballpark $figure for these upgrades....i'm thinking of switching from my gs to an sc ($$).

are your expectations for a pretty high maintenance car after the upgrades?
I don't mind you asking, but I want to wait until the engine mods are complete.

However, the driveline is pretty much done. Here are the numbers for the 6-speed/LSD/driveshaft swap:

6-speed and LSD: $2900
tranny mount: $80
tranny cross member support: $147
clutch hydraulic line: $17
One-piece custom driveshaft: $700
TT flywheel, RPS stage 2 pressure plate, TT clutch plate, flywheel bolts, pilot/throwout bearings, snap rings: $1200

As you can see, the driveline alone is pricy, but it'll hold as much HP as I want to apply to it.

Maintenance shouldn't be much more than what I already do on the car myself.

-scott
Old 11-25-02 | 07:55 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

:eek: :eek: :eek: that's $5000.00 I'm looking at right there :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 11-26-02 | 02:44 PM
Dohc3l
Rookie

motorhead,

what part of texas are you from? a 60-1 can get 450rwhp with around 18-20psi of boost.

missing downpipe
exhuast

Has the one piece drive shaft given you any problems? I had to replace my one peice drive shaft because it was making to much noise to a two peice.
Old 11-26-02 | 06:45 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dohc3l
motorhead,

what part of texas are you from? a 60-1 can get 450rwhp with around 18-20psi of boost.

missing downpipe
exhuast

Has the one piece drive shaft given you any problems? I had to replace my one peice drive shaft because it was making to much noise to a two peice.
Legend, You can probably do better on price for the tranny/LSD. I saw a getrag just sell on e-bay for $1350, and nobody bid on an LSD that started at $400. The other stuff, is tough to find at a discount. Be prepared. A stout driveline is more expensive than you'd think. However, dorking around with the 5-speed tranny will cost you even more (IMHO). It's the old Fram commercial syndrome. "Either you pay me now or you pay me later."

Dohc3l, believe it or not, *yes* the driveshaft vibrates, and it's very annoying. I opened a thread on supraforums.com about the vibration, and I'm hoping to get some feedback.

I'm going to try and balance it myself. If the tranny output shaft can run 1:1, then I should be able to hook up a timing light and "freeze" the driveshaft every revolution with the rear wheels jacked up. Maybe then I can determine the "light" side of the driveshaft. By adding weight, I might be able to reduce vibration. What do you think?

-scott

P.S. I live in Dallas.