Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dealers Cost of a SC300 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 09:02 PM
billSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers Cost of a SC300 flywheel

I had my clutch replaced in my 93 sc300 a month ago at my local dealer. They machined the flywheel, although it was not necessary. Afterwards, i had clutch chatter, they recomended i replace my flywheel, and of course would like me to pay for it, eventhough it was their mistake. Being the good sport I am told them i would cover their cost of the part and i was not going to pay retail. Does anyone have any idea what the dealers cost is? I know on most parts the markup is around 40% and sometimes more. Thanks for your help

Last edited by billSC300; 11-21-02 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 10:29 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill,

Try Curt Aigner at eparts@elmhursttoyota.com. He's the master parts manager at Elmhurst Toyota in Illinois and is very helpful. *But* his passion is Supra's. However, he has helped me on many parts issues related to my sc300 turbo project.

Be nice, and he'll probably help you out. :-) To be safe, you could tell him your problem is with a N/A MKIV 5-speed.

My experience is that there's only a 17% margin for the dealers, but they can charge whatever they want.

-scott
Old 11-21-02, 10:36 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Oh... one more thing. The flywheel is the least of worries in terms of cost.

To remove the old flywheel, you have to remove the exhaust, remove the driveshaft, drain the tranny, unbolt the tranny mount and bell housing bolts, and remove tranny/clutch plate/pressure plate before the old flywheel can be removed. I hope they're covering the labor!

-scott

P.S. Make sure they use new flywheel bolts.
Old 11-21-02, 11:26 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do flywheel bolts cost anyway? I did not replace mine when I moved my flywheel to my new engine.
Old 11-21-02, 11:58 PM
billSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are indeed covering all labor
Old 11-22-02, 12:39 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Camshaft,

When I did the 6-speed swap on my sc, the new flywheel bolts for the supra flywheel were $72 for all eight. Bolts come precoated with locktite. I don't know what the N/A flywheel bolts cost.

-scott