Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Na-T Crank Seal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 01:40 PM
BigNasty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Na-T Crank Seal Issues

So i built my motor about 2 1/2 years ago. Wiseco Pistons, eagle rods, Titanium springs and retainers, stage 3 cams, and switched to the GTE oil pump in my Sc. At first (for some dumb reason) it didnt cross my mind that i would need to switch the crank seal to a GTE one from the stock GE. I blew out 2 or 3 GE crank seals before it hit me. soi would say about a year ago i put a GTE crank seal in her and it held up nicely for about 7-8 months. then the car began leaking oil from the timing cover down the oil pan. I knew it and blown another seal.

I daily drive/ rail it at 12psi, my defi oil pressure gauge reads at about 120-141psi (in full boost).

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have this issue as well? please help me out lol
Old 09-24-12, 01:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it could have something to do with your gte oil pump, or you may have crank case evacuation issues.
I have read the gte pumps flow more than the ge to make up for the oil squirters.
Since you don't have any oil squirters the gte pump may actually be a bad thing.
do you have a catch can setup, if it is too restrictive and you normally get blowby, that could be part of the reason as well.

read this and you will see about the oil pumps, it probably is flowing too much and the gte seal has a few differences (edit: only vvti) .
I know these are vvti, but there are similar differences in the non vvti versions.
match oil pump to engine, if you need a GE oil pump with a crank sensor fitting, just get a 96+ GE oil pump that has the fitting like the gte.
These guys are saying past 100 psi the pump is in bypass mode, sounds like your getting way too much psi.
http://my.is/forums/f114/tech-info-d...l-pump-437894/

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-24-12 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-24-12, 02:03 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The front main seal is a common issue with the 2JZ, search "FMS" on supraforums and learn a bunch. I know some company sells a retainer that will help keep the seal in place.
Old 09-24-12, 05:43 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ge and gte seals are the same part and part number.. if you are using gte pump with no squirter delete , you are running elevated oil pressures . question , why did you use a gte oil pump??
Old 09-24-12, 06:26 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
.question , why did you use a gte oil pump??
Cause he probably doesn't know they are different or the affects like the issues he is having.

I think you didn't install it properly because both seals are the same part numbers like Lexforlife said above.
Old 09-24-12, 08:27 PM
BigNasty
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexforlife
ge and gte seals are the same part and part number.. if you are using gte pump with no squirter delete , you are running elevated oil pressures . question , why did you use a gte oil pump??
Well when i started the build i was told that the gte pump flowed more than the ge one... Guess i should have done more research.
Old 09-24-12, 08:42 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Same seal, same crank,different oil pump!