Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sloppy W58 shifter. What about new bushings for TRIPOD Shifter setups?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 11:27 AM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy W58 shifter. What about new bushings for TRIPOD Shifter setups?

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for bushing kits for Tripod Shifter styled w58 transmissions and can't find them anywhere! I ordered a Marlin bushing kit for my tranny, and that's when I found out that I do NOT have an internal linkage setup. Everything is outside and extended on the tranny. I wasn't even able to pull out the shifter since it was bolted directly underneath the mount.

So my main questions are,

how do I get my Tripod Style shifter back to shifting smoothly into place again? Where do I order the bushings from?

I was looking at mvpmotorsports, and saw this in the MK4 Supra tranny section, could somebody confirm for sure if this would work or not? Or link me to something that will.

(MVP Motorsports also sells one
AP Engineering Shifter Bushing Kit for 92+ Lexus GS300/SC300 with Manual Transmission, but im not sure if that one will work for my external link? Or are they the same part)

AP Engineering Shifter Bushing Kit for 1993-98 Supra with Manual Transmission
Part # APE Shifter Bushings

First, what is this product? Your shifter fork that attaches your transmission to your shifter is held onto the transmission by 2 bushings, one on each side of the fork. The stock pieces are made of a rubber. These bushings are made from lightweight billet aluminum.

Second, why do you need them? These AP Engineering billet bushings stabilize the shifter and offer a more precise feel. The stock rubber bushings have some play in them and these billet bushings completely eliminate that.

Over time your stock bushings deteriate into nothing. You can not buy just the stock rubber bushing replacements, you have to buy the whole fork. Even if you did that, you would still have nothing better than the stock bushings.

The kit includes everything pictured here and installation instructions. You need nothing more than a vise to do it yourself.

You do NOT have to drop your transmission to install these.All you have to do is unbolt the shifter tower from the transmission and if you need more room, just unbolt the transmission mount.

MSRP $99.00
Your Price $90.00

Last edited by Bleak; 10-18-12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 01:49 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

hey im pretty sure thats the same bushing kit that came with my transmisson. looks just like it. im not exactly sure on the brand was thrown in when i purchased the it from a member on here
Old 10-18-12, 05:11 PM
Bleak
Driver

Anybody with a more certain answer? Looking to order all my stuff tonight if possible!
Old 10-19-12, 04:08 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

All I can say about this is that the 92-94 W58 shifter setup is not your tripod style and that only those years take to using a couple of totally different bushings to tighten them up again and take out the slop. Additionally, you can use the TRD or C's short shifters with your tripod style W58 while I can't in my early non-tripod style W58.

I looked at your link and the writeup on SF they recommend. That's definitely a set of solid bushings for a tripod setup and since my '93 has the early internal setup I would NOT be able to use them. Instead, mine uses the Marlin Crawler kit or the Lexus/Toyota equivalent. Since you have a a tripod W58 you must have a later model that is compatible with these.

Interestingly, they also state that it works for 6-speed Getrag tripods too.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-19-12 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 05:09 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

hey im reading around on that and im pretty positive they will fit.
Old 10-19-12, 06:39 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issues, my 94 has extremely sloppy shifter. Being in gear feels pretty damn loose.
Old 10-19-12, 07:18 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
All I can say about this is that the 92-94 W58 shifter setup is not your tripod style and that only those years take to using a couple of totally different bushings to tighten them up again and take out the slop. Additionally, you can use the TRD or C's short shifters with your tripod style W58 while I can't in my early non-tripod style W58.

I looked at your link and the writeup on SF they recommend. That's definitely a set of solid bushings for a tripod setup and since my '93 has the early internal setup I would NOT be able to use them. Instead, mine uses the Marlin Crawler kit or the Lexus/Toyota equivalent. Since you have a a tripod W58 you must have a later model that is compatible with these.

Interestingly, they also state that it works for 6-speed Getrag tripods too.
TRD or C's Short shifter, what does this do? Is that basically eliminating the need for bushings, and solidifies the shifter at the plate? I've had a car with a short shifter for a short time, but my knowledge of them stops right there. lol I've always hated the way they shift.
Old 10-20-12, 12:15 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Same issues, my 94 has extremely sloppy shifter. Being in gear feels pretty damn loose.
Yours should be non-tripod style. Look up a thread regarding W58 shift bushing replacement. You should avoid the Lexus part and instead use a part for... I think it's a 4Runner or Tacoma. I can't remember which. Or you can use a bushing kit from Marlin Crawler.
Old 10-20-12, 12:23 AM
Bleak
Driver

Marshall if you want send me a PM and I'll sell you my untouched marlin crawler bushing set. No need for it since it won't fit my tranny.
Old 10-20-12, 12:23 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bleak
TRD or C's Short shifter, what does this do? Is that basically eliminating the need for bushings, and solidifies the shifter at the plate? I've had a car with a short shifter for a short time, but my knowledge of them stops right there. lol I've always hated the way they shift.
What car did you have with the short shifter and what model shifter? Some vehicles aren't built to accept a decent one. A short throw shifter on an SC/Supra W58, R154 or V160 is more comparable to the ones you can buy for a Mustang's T-5 or Tremec 6-speed. No, a true short throw shifter does not eliminate the need for those bushings. It only changes the fulcrum point allowing the throw of the shifter to be truly reduced over stock. You still need those bushings to cure your issues, but solid metal versus rubber is definitely going to eliminate any movement whatsoever. I'm not sure how that's going to feel if you drive it every day but it probably can't hurt anything.

Stock or short is just a preference.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-20-12 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-20-12, 02:47 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i can confirm that the MVP kit works on the later model SC's with the external linkage. Installed them on my car and the difference is night and day. Only problem is that you will need to press the old bushings out and the new ones in. A bench vice or c-clamp used properly might work. Also need to drop the trans just a little bit just to maneuver the tri-pod out of the car. i also went the extra mile and replaced the rubber bushings at the top of the tripod with OEM toyota ones, just a few extra bucks at the toyota dealer. took me about 1/2 hr. with air tools
Old 10-22-12, 01:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yes 92-94 need the mk3 style shifter bushing thats on the bottom of the shifter, almost always the cause of sloppy shifts on those and its a white plastic looking bushing.

95+ tripod style its at least 2 of the 4 bushings that hold the tripod on that start to loosen up and give sloppy shifts.
If you use a short throw shifter, these tend to wear out old bushings in no time, and if you don't the stock ones will wear out also over the years.
I grabbed a set of the aluminum ones but have not installed them, however its a common enough problem on w58 and r154 tripod transmissions that have sloppy shifts. I have heard nothing but good things about the aluminum bushes, but have no first hand experience with them.
another spot to check is the bolt that goes through the bottom of the shifter, that holds it to the trans gear selector rod. If the bolt/nut has gotten loose over the years, tightening it up can take out some of the slack, but if you have that problem, likely you have the other one also.

the short shifter has nothing to do with the cage bushings on 95+, but the reduced throw puts extra stress on the cage bushings.
cage = tripod

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-22-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 01:44 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They have a ball and spring on the tailshaft that puts tension on the shifter , and keeps it from being sloppy and when the spring looses tension the shifter becomes sloppy.
it's behind that bolt that i circled and it's on both side of the trans.
Attached Thumbnails Sloppy W58 shifter. What about new bushings for TRIPOD Shifter setups?-sc-20transmission_0003.jpg  
Old 10-22-12, 02:36 PM
Aristoman
Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
They have a ball and spring on the tailshaft that puts tension on the shifter , and keeps it from being sloppy and when the spring looses tension the shifter becomes sloppy.
it's behind that bolt that i circled and it's on both side of the trans.
can we replace this "ball and spring" just by removing those bolts? where do we get the parts from?
Old 10-22-12, 03:23 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably from toyota and yes you can replace them.

Quick Reply: Sloppy W58 shifter. What about new bushings for TRIPOD Shifter setups?