Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 09:35 PM
Trax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Problems.

Ok well just got a 94 SC300 for 500 bucks. Was working on it for the guy and then he just decided to sell it.

Well the reason why he sold it was we couldnt find out why it smoked white. Smelled like gas really bad. Checked on here before becoming a member and decided it would be best to take out the ECU check and/or replace it. ECU had burn marks so we replaced it with a SC300 ecu from the JY. New ecu in and runs better but still has the problem. I look more into it and figure out the ECU was replaced on the SC in the JY too. It is actually a GS300 ecu.

Now for the questions.

1. Does it matter if it's from the GS? I assume so because us Nissan guys cant swap out a ECU from another car even if it has the same engine. Also the AC worked with the stock ECU and not with the GS ecu.

2. Had another problem with bleeding the rear brakes. The fronts are fine bled out nicely. The rears seem like they arent getting any pressure.

Thanks for reading my problems and lmk what I should start off with. Thanks in advance!

I usually work on Nissan cars being that I have one but wanting to get this car up and running. Im not a beginner with mechanics but when it comes to different cars I feel it's best to get opinions from people that work or have worked on these cars.
Old 11-17-12, 08:19 PM
Trax
Driver School Candidate

Well figured out the ECU problem. Had my TV Tech brother repair it and changed out spark plugs again and viola! Running good still a little smoke but think it's clearing out everything that was in the cylinders.

Now going to dive into the brakes and ANY help would be appreciated. Anyone have this problem? I try to bleed them and no fluid seems to be getting to the rear brakes. Dad said maybe clogged or bad MC or booster. Like I said any help from you guys that have done this will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-13, 10:36 AM
Trax
Driver School Candidate

Well got the cars brakes working. Master cylinder was the problem. Changed that out and got pressure. But that was the least of my worries....

Sold the car to a friend and it first smoked and would bog like a boost leak (This is an NA 2j) so I thought of what I had done and it was spark plugs, wires, distributor o ring. Waited till nightfall and started it up and the spark plug wires were all arcing. Replaced and running good.

Two weeks later it was smoking really bad and friend brought it back to me. It was burning oil.... we assumed either valve seals or piston ring. Changed out the seals with the rope trick turned it on and still smoked! So then said FK it and bought a NA 2JZ from a Supra and swapped it over. Running good now! FINALLY!

Never done anything this big to a Lexus/Toyota (Im a Nissan guy) but it was fun and I learned a lot. Thinking of getting a SC to boost. If anyone has the same problems I hope this post helps or just PM me and Ill help out as much as I can.

Also if anyone needs parts just lmk in a PM. Selling MAFS, Longblock (Piston ring bad, new valve seals, new cam seals), Alt, Distributor.

End result, EGR removed, valve cover gaskets replaced, Charcoal canister removed, new thermostat, repair ecu, new valve stem seals, new cam seals, new plugs, new wires......

Old 01-29-13, 02:49 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, it looks great. You guy brought her back to life!

Not to thread jack here, but you have a great picture of the engine out of the car there... can Anyone tell me what the circled hose is in the pic below?

Is it coolant related?
Is it attached or the same hose (just bent) as the black rubber hose to the right of it?

SC300 Problems.-ayazou5.jpg
Old 01-29-13, 04:33 PM
Fige
Driver School Candidate

Smoking white = burning water = blown headgasket.

Sorry only read first paragraph
Old 01-30-13, 04:09 PM
Trax
Driver School Candidate

On these cars from what I have researched when I first had the car is that White Smoke= Bad ECU especially when it smells rich. You'd be able to notice the smell FAST. Went through gas like crazy. After repairing ECU it wasnt smoking anymore. Also no overheating issue at all. So no it wasnt a blown headgasket.

Sunny- That is a coolant hose. Goes to the throttle body. Heard you can delete it... but I kept it. It routes between the 3 and 4 runner on the intake manifold and connects to the nipple on the TB. It's one hose just bent.

Last edited by Trax; 01-30-13 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 05:33 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trax
Sunny- That is a coolant hose. Goes to the throttle body. Heard you can delete it... but I kept it. It routes between the 3 and 4 runner on the intake manifold and connects to the nipple on the TB. It's one hose just bent.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply
This just might be where my coolant is leaking from. One more thing to check out!
Old 01-31-13, 04:50 PM
Trax
Driver School Candidate

No problem man... hope you find the leak...