Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Long Time Member/Rare Time Poster - Car Isn't Starting :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 03:09 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Time Member/Rare Time Poster - Car Isn't Starting :)

Hello all, I've been a member here and a lurker for years literally, but I'm having something going on I would hope someone could give me a bit of advice on, regarding starting my SC400.

I hope that someone can help me identify the issue going on with my 95 SC400 at the moment. The car is getting power and while I attempt to start the car it will "whir" up a tiny bit before going ot a fast and deep sound of which I'm unfamilar wtih. It's more than an electric "tick,ticktick" but a deep repetitive sound that kinda freaked me out, like something *clearly* not working prperly (duh) and having a deep, vibrating sound. If necessary I can take a video or sound clip but it sounded as if it were coming from under the car almost, is that where the starter is located, and is that a possibility?

Does anyone know what the issue wtih this is?

lol I've been blessed to have kept this as a second car, (BMW 128i daIly driver, the last TRUE inline-6 coupe! ) but it's always been driven still and I need her to keep movin like she has for so many babied 170k miles. It has a new alternator and battery as well. It's been a WONDERFUL car and she's not goin out to pasture yet.

Please help if possible, I'm not the most automitive intelligent when it comes to detailed descriptions, but some help I'd love to get.
Old 10-21-12, 03:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Starter is dead center in the middle of the engine.

Try a video.
Old 10-21-12, 05:22 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it's a pain to change as opposed to the 2jz straight 6.
Old 10-21-12, 05:30 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Thanks guys, I'll try and get at least a sound file updated, but from what I'm heard from "car people" around my way, it's indeed the starter. I didn't think it would be an easy task for this car... what is?

lol oh well, it's not a $100 bill or so for the starter but finding a guy around my way isn't the easiest unforunately.

*sigh* ishhhhhh happens!
Old 10-21-12, 06:21 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

well at least you have confirmed the starting issues. Do us a favor and do a diy on the install..
Old 10-22-12, 07:56 AM
Lucky Devin
Driver

I'm afraid a useful DIY coming from me wouldn't be worth the bandwidth its 'printed' upon lol

So basically, this needs to go to someone who knows what the eff they're doing is what I am gathering here.
Old 10-22-12, 08:54 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as said over and over again, it is a pain in the neck to get to the starter due to the amount of crap you have to remove just to get to it, and then do even more work to actually get it out.

Any how, here is a DIY. Prepare yourself for about 7 hours of work. Make sure your beer fridge is full.

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html
Old 11-13-12, 07:41 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Default A WTF Update

Firstly, thank you a ton to the above poster who linked that for me, should it come to that I'll have that as a resource and can't have too many.

Ok, just made it back home from work in my 1-series and thought, 'what the hell', I'll see how my Lex responds to me trying to start it.

Well... after grumbling for a couple seconds, to my surprise it fired right to life.

I really was dumbfounded, even more so at the lack of electrical power inside the vehicle, the front and rear lights worked just fine, however my gauge cluster lights were off, the wheel would tilt a bit, but not telescope, my door windows were useless, up or down, and apparently I have no access to the radio/CD's.

Thinking this was just a freak occurrence, I turned the car off, waited a few mnutes, and gave it another go. Started right up. Third Time? STarted right up. 10 minutes ago? started right up.

I .... well I'm just completely lost. Alternator is not old, replaced 2 years ago maybe? Battery is not even a year old... not sure what else to do here. It's a blessing that I can have this as a second car now, But I'd like it to be a FUNCTIONING second car like I know it can be.

Anyone with an idea? ANY idea?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-12, 10:32 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would still suspect a faulty starter. They often work this way when bad....sometimes they will start and when you are thinking your ok....it wont start again.