Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: which way schould i go?
gm ar5-stick shift
12.50%
bosstlogic built factory auto
50.00%
other: post in thread
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

choices, choices, choices...which transmission should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 02:13 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah no prob. i will do the best i can. basically go the turbocharger route IF your willing to put in the money and time to do it properly. If done right a turbo/twin turbo kit will far out-do a supercharger; if done wrong you won't get boost till 4k and will have lots of oiling issues and possibly a blown turbo. so if you don't want to put in the time, effort, and money to do it, i would recommend a supercharger kit. if i had the money, time, and recources my dream fi setup would be twin borg warner efr 6258 with itb's and liquid to air intercoolers. but alas i'm broke and don't trust myself enough to do that... so eaton m112 it is i never said i was upset though
Old 10-30-12, 02:47 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote other. Go with a 350z/G35 6 speed.
Old 10-30-12, 03:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If I remember correctly the ar5 from the Colorado is not easily adaptable, you want the one from the solstice / sky without the interim design change in 2007.
Old 10-30-12, 04:38 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I think the issue you were referring to was the input shaft being too long, i figured this issue would be solved with the spacer that comes with an adapter kit. correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-30-12, 05:42 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maynanator
yeah no prob. i will do the best i can. basically go the turbocharger route IF your willing to put in the money and time to do it properly. If done right a turbo/twin turbo kit will far out-do a supercharger; if done wrong you won't get boost till 4k and will have lots of oiling issues and possibly a blown turbo. so if you don't want to put in the time, effort, and money to do it, i would recommend a supercharger kit. if i had the money, time, and recources my dream fi setup would be twin borg warner efr 6258 with itb's and liquid to air intercoolers. but alas i'm broke and don't trust myself enough to do that... so eaton m112 it is i never said i was upset though
It's not my first rodeo, so I know how to do it right. Just in no rush and have time to make the decision. If I go SC it'll be something big and twin screw, just running a few numbers has me drooling at the thought of 600+whp and a torque curve that looks like a cliff.

The EFRs seem impressive, but they were announced two years ago (iirc) and BW is still playing catch up with production (they had to supply CART first I've heard). Until I see some real tests I'll hold judgement. There has been some info out and a lot of it is quite contradictory or lacking enough details for me to hold it as truth. Both camps (those selling the EFR and those counting on other products) seem to have tests that swing in their favor and I always have a hard time believing word for word the statements of the person that is trying to sell it to me. And some of the production choices have me a bit bewildered... The feature list is long and I have high hopes for them, time will tell.
Old 10-30-12, 05:56 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

SCary400, you should slap a KB on top. Hasn't been done and would be pretty sweet. yeah i hadn't heard much about the efr either, but I assumed they would be pretty good considering borg warner's record.
Old 10-31-12, 10:28 AM
SCary400
Driver

They are definitely on my radar just need to get dimensions and maps out of them. That's one thing I like about larger professional companies like Borg Warner and Lysholm, links to all the real data is open and available on their websites, Kenne Bell, Whipple, and some turbo companies are like pulling teeth to get the real data.

I've been doing regular deep searches for data ever since the EFR was announced and pickings are slim. There are theories about that (some say people are keeping mum to retain a competitive edge, others just don't share data/results or don't test in the first place) and while I'm sure it'll be a top turbo, as BW always seems to deliver, I just want data. If it is an actual improvement I'm in, but if it's just marginal (see Garrett GT vs GTX turbos) then it may not be worth the extra costs.

There is an EFR 7163 in the pipeline though which is good as there was a bit of a gap in their line. The 6258 should have near undetectable spool and with the size of the islands in it's map be one hell of a street turbo. A set of twins sitting comfortably in the 600whp range should have factory like response. I'm always a fan for area under the curve.
Old 10-31-12, 11:38 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Man I really like the way you speak. I like the fact that I can have a good talk with someone who knows their stuff. I have heard quite a lot of horror stories about KB's customer service. I've heard, though, that it's due to their rather small size and lack of office employees. I think there are few things that sound better than the whine of a KB 2.3.

Last edited by maynanator; 10-31-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 03:52 PM
SCary400
Driver

Thanks, I'm enjoying actually holding a conversation with you as well. Replies full of "lol" aren't really my style.

And we are in complete agreement about the sound of a KB, almost makes me envy KB Cobras. It's just too bad that the larger KB superchargers don't have the same sound, being that they spin a bit slower. I suppose that is a minor trade-off for an extra liter or so of displacement.
Old 10-31-12, 08:13 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

that is true, that and the potential for lower blower temps.
Well, It's official the UPS man has dropped off the supercharger. On it's way in as soon as I can tear everything apart. my only qualm with the kit is the fit of the intake adapter... it kind of ruins everything. oh well looks like i'll be putting on a cobra throttle body somewhere down the line. now to put this info in the thread that really matters: my build thread.
Old 05-12-14, 03:14 PM
s1984
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone knows where i can get the Red Alto rebuilt kit?
I can´t find it anywhere...
Old 05-14-14, 03:01 PM
TommyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Clean400
I would take an ATF transmission over Boostlogic. ATF makes a billet 2nd gear sprag which is the weakest link in the A340e transmission.

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....alt2o0h10fkan3

If it was me though I would do the following. It's the cheapest way to have a built auto, and the path I'm currently going.,

Stage 1 (340whp possibly more depending on use)
Torque Converter (Lextreme $229)
Transgo Shift Kit $100
4th Solenoid ECU mod (free)
Tranny Cooler $80

$500 + shipping + install cost

And if you want to jazz it up you can throw in a Suprastick auto ecu controller for $375, buy a GS400 steering wheel or IS250 steering wheel with paddles to shfit it.
This is a Great Idea! ^^^^

Any way Stage 1 can be implemented with a Suprastick ECU controller & the IS250/300 Steering wheel with shifters?