Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tt ecu help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 12:24 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^ oh and to add to everything, i must pass emissions, because i live in chicago and the car is OBDII
Old 11-16-12, 01:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
hey guys, forgive me for being redundant, but i just need a little clarification. I have been searching these forums for the last few weeks on doing an na-t setup on my freshly purchased 1997 sc300 with factory w58. I will be doing this progressively, as my income will not allow me to just do everything at once, so i need to accumulate parts. My question is:

-since i'm going na-t, should i get the usdm 96-98 tt ecu and injectors first and have them installed, and drive on that for a little until i bolt on the turbo, or is that not advised until i get the turbo setup installed?
- what is a good turbo kit i should get that will give me about 350-ish whp? (best bang for buck)

thank you for all the input guys
yes you are correct, you should get the USDM 96-98 tt ecu. I think you can reuse your maf sensor, and you will also need a JZ map sensor. You cannot use TT injectors because they are side feed and na-t uses top feed, but there are lots of options in the 550cc top feed high impedance market, like certain year rx7 550cc injectors are plug and play and there are many aftermarket options its a common size. If you can only find low impedance you can use a tt resistor pack.

you should just collect parts and drive on what you have right now, and change over right before you do the turbo install. It will drive fine for the most part but won't be optimal. I would only do it right before the turbo install.
basically any turbo kit for a 2jzge is going to get you to 350hp cause thats not much for these engines. depends what your future goals are really but you can also piece together a good kit nowadays, even the online stuff is pretty usable.

youre probably going to want to find a 6-spd ecu to help with the compatibility part.
I haven't done one of these yet so I can't say for sure but If you wire it up all the same as the supra it came from the ecu should be happy, shouldn't be hard to do the sc300 is very close generally in wiring.
Old 11-16-12, 02:58 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Ali, thank you very much. So basically, i need to get a 97 or 98 Supra TT ECU, some 550cc RX7 injectors, and a map sensor from the same supra as the ECU, or just any supra of that year, correct?
Old 11-16-12, 08:47 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno if 98 came with vvti or not but a 96-97 supra Tt Ecu would work
Old 11-18-12, 08:47 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

98 US supra has 2jzgte non vvti.

US never had the chance to get the 2jzgte vvti in the mk4.
Old 11-18-12, 09:40 AM
frankdms
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, forgive me for being redundant, but i just need a little clarification. I have been searching these forums for the last few weeks on doing an na-t setup on my freshly purchased 1997 sc300 with factory w58. I will be doing this progressively, as my income will not allow me to just do everything at once, so i need to accumulate parts. My question is:

-since i'm going na-t, should i get the usdm 96-98 tt ecu and injectors first and have them installed, and drive on that for a little until i bolt on the turbo, or is that not advised until i get the turbo setup installed?
- what is a good turbo kit i should get that will give me about 350-ish whp? (best bang for buck)

thank you for all the input guys
You could just add a Na-t setup and use your factory ECU with a AEM FIC 8. It will retain all the emissions through the ECU and the FIC with the built in map sensor and ability to calibrate larger injectors you and achieve your goals fairly easy.

We have done GTE ecu's on Na-t setups with great luck, for you I would keep it simple as possible given your emissions problem. Just use a "test" pipe to keep the cats alive for inspection and swap them in when you need and have a "Emissions" tune done on a second file.

Ali Sc3 is a great resource if you want to try the GTE route. Good Luck man!
Old 11-18-12, 05:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Ali, thank you very much. So basically, i need to get a 97 or 98 Supra TT ECU, some 550cc RX7 injectors, and a map sensor from the same supra as the ECU, or just any supra of that year, correct?
exactly, all 1jz and 2jz map sensors are the same, but I would try and get a 2jz one if possible, and if you can verify it was working along with the ecu that would be nice cause if you get bad parts troubleshooting can be a pain.

The Aem FIC is a good unit, but the factory ecu is really a pain. it is definately a setup that people have passed emissions with, but tuning the car is a daily struggle somedays it runs good somedays it does not.
Old 11-19-12, 12:10 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
exactly, all 1jz and 2jz map sensors are the same, but I would try and get a 2jz one if possible, and if you can verify it was working along with the ecu that would be nice cause if you get bad parts troubleshooting can be a pain.

The Aem FIC is a good unit, but the factory ecu is really a pain. it is definately a setup that people have passed emissions with, but tuning the car is a daily struggle somedays it runs good somedays it does not.
yes, im trying to keep the cost down too, and the AEM FIC 8 is a lot more money than a TT ECU.
To run it, do i need to do the coil on plug conversion?
Old 11-19-12, 01:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

everyone that has done it so far has gone coil on plug.
we have a theory on using the stock ignition system, but it still requires the 3 or 6 channel ignitor and the same wiring in my thread up to the ignitor. from the ignitor instead of going to 3 coils, you tie them off to the one stock coil. This has not been tested yet nor is it really recommended, If you can afford the vvti coilpacks, it is a huge leap forward in ignition system performance. you can run stock plug gaps even with a big turbo, make more power, and burn cleaner, all for the cost of the coils.

Some have used 7mgte coils instead which are much cheaper, but mounting is an added factor as well as they are big and bulky and reliability is not as good as the vvti coils.
Old 12-10-12, 05:55 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

one more question, the TT ecu does not require having the car tuned, correct? So with a Garret gt35 turbo that i am buying i should see about 350ish to the wheels? and the ecu regulates everything for daily driveability?
Old 12-11-12, 03:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

not really any tuning unless you want to throw on a fuel controller and/or bigger injectors.
It wont be perfect for really large single turbo's but it will drive well and you will still make good power.
just run the o2 sensor and driveability is great. 350 to the wheels should be easy with the right amount of boost.
Old 12-11-12, 08:59 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
not really any tuning unless you want to throw on a fuel controller and/or bigger injectors.
It wont be perfect for really large single turbo's but it will drive well and you will still make good power.
just run the o2 sensor and driveability is great. 350 to the wheels should be easy with the right amount of boost.
Aha. Got it. So what quality turbo would you recommend for those power goals?
Old 12-12-12, 12:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

something in the 61-68mm range. really the stock ecu likes turbo's that will spool early.
If you go with a higher quality BB turbo you could go larger even I imagine, but you will probably be looking at a standalone at those power levels.