Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ, stock SC400 rear end noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 03:46 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1JZ, stock SC400 rear end noise!

Another problem has arrived and I am wanting some ideas on what it could be. The problem arose when I got the back from the tune. Not immediately but maybe a month or so ago. I noticed in the rear end, on the passenger side, I am hearing a whooooooo, whoooo, whooooooooooo, and so on. It quits when I come to a stop, but gets louder and louder the faster I go. I thought for sure it was the parking brake dragging on that side and I have adjusted like twenty times. Still a no go. Sound still there. I jacked it back up this afternoon and pulled the parking brake assembly on that side all together, just to see if this would solve my issue. A no go. Still there. Not too loud but freaking driving me crazy here.

The rear is stock out of the 400 and the axles the same. All the bolts are tight, all around and no leaks anywhere back there. Is there something that possibly needs greased, warped rotor or pads, or axle bent from the torque, or what? I am out of ideas here people, and kinda need some guidance on what to look at a little deeper.

When I removed the whole parking assembly, I just zip tied the cable around the axle carrier assembly. I am wondering now, if this is the noise is the wind hitting the zip tie? I had to use two of them to hold it back from hitting the back of the hub that moves that the rim attaches too, if this makes sense....

Anyone want to take a stab at this?
Old 11-11-12, 04:18 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Rear wheel bearings?
Old 11-11-12, 04:23 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

^^^ that might be it Mark .. rear hub bearing. Had that problem before on one of the supra.. If you jack up the rears , is there a play on the wheels if you push them left and right ? That noise gets louder and louder as bearing gets worn out after some time.
Old 11-11-12, 04:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I did actually think of that. I do have movement if I remember correctly. Is this something that Oreilys carries or advanced auto? I will confirm this again tomorrow. If there is no play, could it be the bearing anyway, if not what else could it be? I wonder if I need to replace both sides? kinda like headlights, do in pairs.
Old 11-11-12, 04:50 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Still it can be the bearing even if there is no play..... the play will get worse as the bearing really goes bad. Base on the symptoms (noise) that you say, I will really assume its the hub bearing... Well not unless the other is bad , I won't replace it cause it is not really an easy job if you have no access to a press. That bearing needs to be pressed out and the new one in. Didn't have access to a press and luckily got a pair of hub with bearings on SF for a good price so I just replaced the hub itself.
Old 11-11-12, 05:02 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by gerrb
Still it can be the bearing even if there is no play..... the play will get worse as the bearing really goes bad. Base on the symptoms (noise) that you say, I will really assume its the hub bearing... Well not unless the other is bad , I won't replace it cause it is not really an easy job if you have no access to a press. That bearing needs to be pressed out and the new one in. Didn't have access to a press and luckily got a pair of hub with bearings on SF for a good price so I just replaced the hub itself.
drive up tomorrow or sometime this week. I am off, lets getttttteeeerrr done.. I just checked the PDF file that I have, and there is a lot of crap that has to come off. GEEZZZ! I will confirm this tomorrow and see if this is for sure the problem. I was really hoping it was the dog gone parking brake just out of adjustment and it was dragging.
Old 11-11-12, 05:18 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Damn.. if you were within 100 miles , I wouldn't have mind driving to your place...lol.. just arrived back from my place from the South.. 280 miles away and I know you are 260 miles away too from me.. lol.. . but had a blast driving the stroker supra... drove it like I stole it., topping speeds I never reached before ... lol..

Man lets hope its something else .. thats what I hoped in mine too before.. lol.. but as it became louder and louder and the play on the wheel bad.. I knew I was into some serious work that is why I decided to get the hub with a known good bearing. I didn't have access to a press.

Last edited by gerrb; 11-11-12 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 05:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I will pay for half your gas, just an offer man... I will try to locate the whole hub assembly. I know for a fact there are 2 SC300's here local in the ol junk yard. I wonder if they are the same. The pdf are not saying, that means I am assuming they are the same. I would rather have a new one. I will see what I can come up with.
Old 11-11-12, 05:52 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

yes, am almost positive sc300 and sc400 hubs should be the same .. damn, it's not the gas man. It's the travel time and I know a lot of constructions going on I20 on your side (AL) from the GA border .. I hate road constructions and most of all traffic. As my wife puts it, I am the most impatient person on the road man.

It is a lot easier if you really could find the hub with a good bearing. But first, confirm its the hub bearing.
Old 11-11-12, 05:56 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Originally Posted by gerrb
yes, am almost positive sc300 and sc400 hubs should be the same .. damn, it's not the gas man. It's the travel time and I know a lot of constructions going on I20 on your side (AL) from the GA border .. I hate road constructions and most of all traffic. As my wife puts it, I am the most impatient person on the road man.

It is a lot easier if you really could find the hub with a good bearing. But first, confirm its the hub bearing.
I will be in touch. Do you mind if I call or text you at 2 AM? LOL

Thanks for the advice man. I will double check everything tomorrow and post up my findings. I wouldn't go I-20, go up I-75 then to Chattanooga and then come back this way to HWY 72, then go west towards Huntsville...
Old 11-11-12, 06:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

oh shoot .... lol .. you can call or text me whatever time you want.. but I ain't gonna answer anything between 10pm-8am.. lmaol.

then I will have to go through Chattanooga.. oh gosh.. that area can be bad too...lol..

ok.. confirm first that the hub bearing is really your problem.
Old 11-14-12, 08:37 PM
SCSlug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=1JZPWRD;7593137] I noticed in the rear end, on the passenger side, I am hearing a whooooooo, whoooo, whooooooooooo, and so on. It quits when I come to a stop, but gets louder and louder the faster I go. /QUOTE]

Easy fix man...Id take a look in the truck...Your likely to find Ric Flair.

If the bearings turn out ok, Id def start looking into the rear CVs.
Old 11-14-12, 09:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I am not going to be able to look into this until next week. Tied up tomorrow on out of town business, getting back late, then work next few days....