Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! No Start after tune up

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 07:55 PM
95Sexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No Start after tune up

I replaced both valve cover gaskets, TB gasket, spark plugs, and distributor o-ring. Once i got everything back together Car will turn over and give me some back fire like its detonating or firing on the wrong cylinder but no start, I put cylinder number 1 at TDC and turned distributor rotor to spark plug 1, same thing. I then turned the rotor forward 2 positions in case 1 was at TDC of exhaust stroke instead of compression during the first attempt of timing it and still get no start turn over. I am sure i get spark fuel and air.

I guess what i would like to know is suggestions for getting in time and does this sound like its out of time? Thank you in advance
Old 11-11-12, 10:49 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 95Sexus
I replaced both valve cover gaskets, TB gasket, spark plugs, and distributor o-ring. Once i got everything back together Car will turn over and give me some back fire like its detonating or firing on the wrong cylinder but no start, I put cylinder number 1 at TDC and turned distributor rotor to spark plug 1, same thing. I then turned the rotor forward 2 positions in case 1 was at TDC of exhaust stroke instead of compression during the first attempt of timing it and still get no start turn over. I am sure i get spark fuel and air.

I guess what i would like to know is suggestions for getting in time and does this sound like its out of time? Thank you in advance
really stupid thing that you might want to check but it does happen occasionally is mis-ordering the spark plug leads. Ive done it before
Old 11-12-12, 04:03 AM
95Sexus
Driver School Candidate

No wires were all in order just needed to turn the distributor 180 instead of two positions forward, did my calculation wrong of which cylinder would be on compression stroke if i set number 1 to TDC of exhaust. It is running now but i have a feeling due to my crap job of routing vacuum lines my CEL/MIL will trun on... i guess it will just push my faster to do eger block off and vacuum clean up!