Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 08:04 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Nope, if there was no shim on the 2J/ 5 speed hes got it right. As posted before the
only thing left is the pressure plate. If the trans is still in would be worth a try w/ a pry
bar on the release fork to see if the pressure plate collapses/ releases. If it's apart
I'd have to try another pressure plate.
Old 12-08-12, 09:55 AM
Bleak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys.. *UPDATE*

We feel defeated.. this is what? The 6th time we drop the tranny? And still nothing.

-We replaced the aftermarket spec pressure plate for my old OEM one off the 2jz. Has WAY better pedal feel than the spec one, and we also went under the car where the fork is and we actually SEE the pressure plate depressing from the throw out bearing.

-We even added a socket as a spacer again after we swapped the pressure plate and still, NOTHING. We still can't go into gear when the car is on.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions..? Maybe something we missed? Were we supposed to specifically swap something out or adapt something that has to do with the tranny when using a w58 on a 1jz? I'm using all 2jz w58 parts on my w58 tranny, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Right now we're using the OEM Flywheel, Spec Clutch for sc300/gs300 from MVP Motorsports, and the OEM pressure plate.

-When the car is on the floor, we put it in first gear and turn on the car with the clutch and brake pedals pressed. The car stalls out even though the pedal is pressed all the way.(So obviously we're still having some engagement issues)

At this point we're throwing logic out the window because nothing makes sense anymore lol.

Last edited by Bleak; 12-08-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-23-12, 09:46 PM
Bleak
Driver

Hey everyone giving you an update..

Still nothing, but I do have a question. We're starting to think that we might have the wrong clutch setup? We'll be swapping in the OEM clutch that was originally in the w58 to check if it works, then if that proves out we'll be ordering a new clutch system and junking the spec kit.

Does anybody know if ANY w58 clutch kit will work on the w58? Or did I have to order a supra clutch kit? I ordered my spec clutch kit on mvpmotorsports under the GS300/SC300 5speed parts section, should I have gotten one of the MK4 supra ones instead? I do have a tripod shifter tranny so would that make a difference or are all the clutch kits the same for the w58?

Last edited by Bleak; 12-24-12 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 11:54 AM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've dealt with issue before I sent you a pm.
Old 12-24-12, 01:38 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have to make a longer rod for the slave to test to see if it is extending all the way, Is this the same slave as before?
Old 12-25-12, 12:43 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
You may have to make a longer rod for the slave to test to see if it is extending all the way, Is this the same slave as before?
no like I said previously, we've tested this theory out by adding an extension piece between the slave pin and fork. We also replaced the slave, it was the first thing we did when we had the issue.
Old 12-27-12, 01:55 AM
carsmypnis
Driver

Originally Posted by Bleak
no like I said previously, we've tested this theory out by adding an extension piece between the slave pin and fork. We also replaced the slave, it was the first thing we did when we had the issue.
this is completely different and wrong. go under your dash and adjust your engagement point of the clutch by making the rod longer. its a simple fix always has to be adjusted when changing a clutch. i mentioned it earlier
Old 12-28-12, 09:42 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this guy is right^^^^ it sounds like a simple fix
Old 01-06-13, 10:36 AM
Bleak
Driver

Could you guys take a look at these pictures I took today? We took down the tranny again and here are some detailed pictures of the flywheel:

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...zC410jtLFO-UA8

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...GZqyP78wxJSMHQ

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...7Fq4WtEMzbC9js

The flywheel contact surface is barely a hair above the rest of the flywheel. I've seen brand new flywheels and they are a lot more meaty than this one. Think this might be the source of my problems?
Old 01-07-13, 07:26 AM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

From the pics you sent me it looked like the flywheel may have been cut too much at one time. Time for a new one.
Old 01-07-13, 02:43 PM
Bleak
Driver

Anyone else wanna chime in before I shell out 200+ for a new flywheel?
Old 01-07-13, 05:03 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry, can't view pics.
Old 01-07-13, 06:44 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
Sorry, can't view pics.
I've attached them for you SDR. The dime I used for the pic was sadly thicker than the contact surface of the flywheel. It's almost flat/flush against the rest of the surface.
Attached Thumbnails Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.-photo1.jpg   Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.-image1.jpg   Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 07:42 PM
Bleak
Driver

anyone else have suggestions? Definitely thinking of ordering a new flywheel at this point. Could someone else confirm for me that this flywheel is junked?
Old 01-09-13, 10:01 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Bleak I pm you on SFL check your inbox.

Quick Reply: Recently finished W58 + 1JZ swap into SC. Shifting/tranny issues.