Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intercooler help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02 | 04:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Intercooler help please

Will a core that is 23x10x4.5 fit on a SC300? It is built for a Supra and I would like to know if someone thinks it will fit our vehicles? I know that it is similar but I would like an expert opinion. The quicker the better since my install happens on Monday.

- Mike
Old 12-10-02 | 02:10 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

A core designed to fit a MKIV will fit an SC, the brackets are different though, no big deal to fabricate.....

- LL
Old 12-10-02 | 02:16 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Mike,

Mount that intercooler on the TRUNK Porsche style.... just kidding.

MW
Old 12-10-02 | 06:44 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

It will fit thats about the size i am looking for post ,a pic of your
intercooler when your done with it in your car.

Last edited by Dew23; 12-10-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-24-05 | 10:59 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to be bringing up a 3 year old thread but hey at least it means I search. I was wondering if anyone knew what the the biggest dimensions an intercooler could be and still fit the SC with no bumper modification. I am worried mainly about width and height and also where the end tanks should be (higher, middle, lower).
Old 07-25-05 | 06:23 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

12" is a good height and fits well. Your coolant bottle will have to go tho. You can use the side-mounted Supra one or any of the bling aftermarket ones.

This IC is 12"x24". As you can see you can go a little bit wider if you like and you want your inlet/outlet at the bottom.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Intercooler help please-ic.jpg  
Old 07-25-05 | 08:02 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help. The one I was looking at was about 10" tall. Do you think that would still allow me to use the coolant bottle???
Old 07-25-05 | 08:28 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boobstar
Thanks for the help. The one I was looking at was about 10" tall. Do you think that would still allow me to use the coolant bottle???
That's a good question... Without tearing into it I can't really tell you but is seems that won't be enough. If all else fails, grab a $10 plastic bottle at the corner store (I have one in the pic) while you find a more permanent solution. You can run this temporarily for as long as you need. I'm running mine while my custom tank is being fabricated.

Either way, don't size your intercooler after the coolant bottle. Size the cooler to your needs, everything else will find a way after.
Old 07-25-05 | 03:45 PM
mamurra2
Rookie

it'll be close, but probably not, seems like 8" tall is really the max before you've gotta move it
Old 07-25-05 | 07:09 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you guys again. Now would anyone happen to know if there is an intercooler kit that would be fairly close to bolting right up for a stock 1jz gte (with stock twins) to the front mount. Also would anyone who has done possibly know what type of bends I would need if i decided to go with making my own kit or buying one of those "universal" kits from fleabay.
Old 07-25-05 | 07:35 PM
dohc3ltt
Pole Position

I currently got a 4.5" thick intercooler and you can still use the coolant bottle, just bend the bracket a little.
Old 07-25-05 | 07:58 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Thank you guys again. Now would anyone happen to know if there is an intercooler kit that would be fairly close to bolting right up for a stock 1jz gte (with stock twins) to the front mount. Also would anyone who has done possibly know what type of bends I would need if i decided to go with making my own kit or buying one of those "universal" kits from fleabay.
The closest kit (pipewise) you will find will be the front mount kits for the Supra TT.

The closest kit (IC wise) will be an NA-T kit for the SC like Boostlogic's.

If you want to make your own pipes, you'd need 11 j-bends or 6 u-bends for an NA-T setup. For 1JZ it would be about the same tho the piping will be very different. Add a bend if you want to go out of the way and run the extra piping thru the stock fender hole as opposed to cutting your own which makes a shorter, more direct path to the FMIC. No sense in using the side hole for the SMIC.

I'd buy an IC for the SC and then the pipes for a Supra TT. You'd need to tweak a few pipes but it should be minimal and the easiest way to an FMIC upgrade on a 1JZ'd SC.
Old 07-25-05 | 08:48 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

awesome...again i cannot thank you guys enough. btw cleansc im sure you have heard it a million times before...but damn man i love your car!!!
Old 07-25-05 | 08:57 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

HMMMMMMMM...Turbo anyone??? Wonder what that big thing is in front of your car???

Looking forward to seeing it done...

Thanks,

Ryan

Originally Posted by CleanSC
12" is a good height and fits well. Your coolant bottle will have to go tho. You can use the side-mounted Supra one or any of the bling aftermarket ones.

This IC is 12"x24". As you can see you can go a little bit wider if you like and you want your inlet/outlet at the bottom.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-05 | 05:00 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

awesome...again i cannot thank you guys enough. btw cleansc im sure you have heard it a million times before...but damn man i love your car!!!
Haha thanks, man! And good luck with the project.

Ryan: That big thing up front is just an oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Intercooler help please