Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hx35 Turbo Drain Routing Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13 | 12:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

I dont think running a restrictor will create problems. a -4 will totally work on quality turbo's but is not ideal. Im just saying you could easily have a few hundred rpm's faster spool if you reduced your line size.
And ball bearing turbo's need a restrictor cheftank, I think you got it bacwards.

most garrett BB turbos take like a .035 restrictor and Journal bearing you can go from .060 all the way up to a -3an line or a 4an line if you think your seals will make it.

straight from Holset repair manual.
http://www.dieselusa.com/productinfo/HY35W.pdf
14. The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 210 kPa (30 lbf/in2). Maximum
permissible operating pressure is 500 kPa (72 lbf/in2) although 600 kPa (88 lbf/in2) is permitted during
cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 70 kPa (10 lbf/in2).

15. Recommended oil flows for the turbochargers are 2 litre/min at idle and 3 litre/min above maximum
torque speed.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-09-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-13 | 12:27 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, run a restrictor. I picked mine up at Ace Hardware lol
Old 01-09-13 | 09:03 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

. But im running the driftmotion kit so it has a machined inlet flange and -4an line so the inlet pressure will probly be different than a stock dodge fitting. Im just wondering if ill be good to drive the thing for a short period of time till i can get it to work so i can do it properly and tap in and gauge my oil pressure till i get the desired oil pressure for turbo. Cause ive read that 1jz pumps about 90 psi approx WOT correct? And as previously stated by Ali SC3, the turbo should only achieve 88psi max at cold start and 72psi max during operation. So i'd figure id need a small restrictor like a .02 or something. I want to make sure this things stays healthy and is running to its liking (As per manufacturing specs) cause ive seen what these turbos can do and how long they'll do it on a big 12 and 24 valve cummins so i wanna do it once and do it right.

And as per the drain line. I'm going to run it along the front side of the manifold like previously shown and with a DEI (Fireproof) sleeve on it as suggested.

Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming haha
Old 01-10-13 | 08:56 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I have my oil line kit and the downpipe ordered, I was going to ask the same question here in two weeks.
Thank you for the info, and please post your pics when you can.
Old 01-10-13 | 10:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

too much restriction is worse than no restriction and .02 is too small for most any turbo.
IF you have a Journal bearing and want to be on the safe side its simple, use a -3an line alone (what I run and recommend), or use a very large opening restrictor on a 4AN line, like a .065 or larger.

IF you have a BB turbo they are much more sensitive about restrictor size and usually people use a .035 or .040
Sometimes BB turbo's will come with the restrictor fitting already on there so be sure to double check.

check out ATP turbo they have the most common turbo fittings and lines, and you will notice there are only 2 pre drilled restrictors on their whole site.
a .035 for BB and a .065 for journal bearing.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-10-13 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-10-13 | 05:38 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
too much restriction is worse than no restriction and .02 is too small for most any turbo.
IF you have a Journal bearing and want to be on the safe side its simple, use a -3an line alone (what I run and recommend), or use a very large opening restrictor on a 4AN line, like a .065 or larger.

IF you have a BB turbo they are much more sensitive about restrictor size and usually people use a .035 or .040
Sometimes BB turbo's will come with the restrictor fitting already on there so be sure to double check.

check out ATP turbo they have the most common turbo fittings and lines, and you will notice there are only 2 pre drilled restrictors on their whole site.
a .035 for BB and a .065 for journal bearing.
Yeah after re reading what i said, .02 doesn't make sense. But thanks a lot Ali for the info. I have the -4an line setup and everything already so im going to stick with it and just run a restrictor of around .065 as you mentioned.

But before i do so i have a quick question. The driftmotion kit comes with an inlet flange for the turbo and it adapts to a -4an line. Looking at it, the orifices that the oil will pass through look rather small and restrictive.

Could this flange and its passage holes being as small as they are, be enough to restrict the amount of oil going into the turbo? Cause i know a lot of people with the holsets will just run the dodge fitting off the turbo instead. But id like to use this flange.
Old 01-10-13 | 09:39 PM
need2boost
Pole Position

I always have an oil restrictor on mine if its a ball bearing!
Old 01-11-13 | 02:45 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

why would u guys tell him to run a restrictor when vrank just said not to. vrank has 2 cars running on holsets with no restrictor and has no problems. take it from the person who is actually running a holset. dont run a restrictor
Old 01-12-13 | 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by TSleid
Yeah after re reading what i said, .02 doesn't make sense. But thanks a lot Ali for the info. I have the -4an line setup and everything already so im going to stick with it and just run a restrictor of around .065 as you mentioned.

But before i do so i have a quick question. The driftmotion kit comes with an inlet flange for the turbo and it adapts to a -4an line. Looking at it, the orifices that the oil will pass through look rather small and restrictive.

Could this flange and its passage holes being as small as they are, be enough to restrict the amount of oil going into the turbo? Cause i know a lot of people with the holsets will just run the dodge fitting off the turbo instead. But id like to use this flange.
that flange looks like it could have a built in restrictor hopefully around the 3an territory, hard to tell with just pictures, just go ahead and use only that to be on the safe side I don't want anyone blowing their turbo since I seem to be in the minority of running a 3an line or restrictor here.
Maybe ask the people you bought the kit from and see what they say, they may know if its a restricted or unrestricted flange.

For the record generally I would recommend going with a 3an or a .100 fitting, which are supposed to be about the same size.
0.065 should be fine but apparently Holsets are oil happy turbo's so stay a little larger but 4an unrestricted is huge.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-12-13 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-12-13 | 12:44 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
that flange looks like it could have a built in restrictor hopefully around the 3an territory, hard to tell with just pictures, just go ahead and use only that to be on the safe side I don't want anyone blowing their turbo since I seem to be in the minority of running a 3an line or restrictor here.
Maybe ask the people you bought the kit from and see what they say, they may know if its a restricted or unrestricted flange.

For the record generally I would recommend going with a 3an or a .100 fitting, which are supposed to be about the same size.
0.065 should be fine but apparently Holsets are oil happy turbo's so stay a little larger but 4an unrestricted is huge.
Yeah ill run it with no restrictor as vrank even said he runs em fine with none but i'll watch it close for start up and first drive. If it starts smoking mad then i'll know i need to restrict it. But i see where your coming from Ali. It makes sense after looking at a -4 to a -3an. Big difference. But i'm hoping that flange restricts that -4an line enough and hopefully have no worries about it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll put up my build thread here eventually when i'm not so lazy and youll see how it goes when its done and if it works.
Old 01-12-13 | 01:23 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

dude!!!! i told you to check out my thread man!!!

adding the finishing touches on my turbo return line.

Old 01-13-13 | 08:13 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

megamax it looks like he got the dm kit. so everything comes in the kit. that is one ugly return line but if it works, it works. but he's tlking about the oil feed line, not return
Old 01-13-13 | 09:11 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

thats a oem return line for holset turbos. metal, bendable,and 50 bones. i had a link to the feed restrictor but lost it.
Old 01-13-13 | 04:29 PM
cheftank
Rookie

and yes i had my quote backwards lol

the oil feed flange wont fit, put the fitting i said into ebay and look for your $5 options OR drill your chra so you can use the feed flange