Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hx35 Turbo Drain Routing Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 08:21 PM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hx35 Turbo Drain Routing Help?

So for any of you guys with a single turbo, specifically a holset...

I have a soarer with a 1jz and currently throwing an hx35 holset on it. I'm just wondering about the turbo oil return line. I have a steel braided -4an feed line and my dump tube is a -10an steel braided line. Now im just wondering about angle of this return line as how much of an angle am i aloud before it becomes restrictive and harmful to my turbo. And also how close i can get to my exhaust manifold. I have the driftmotion single turbo kit tubular manifold and planning to exhaust wrap it with some thermotech graphite wrap and would be so easy if i could run the -10an return line through the runners of the wrapped exhaust.

If someone could help me answer a few questions thatd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-04-13, 08:33 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the shortest, straightest return line subject to the least amount of heat. I wouldn't run it through the runners.
Old 01-04-13, 10:22 PM
cheftank
Rookie

I have a holset w/ the dm kit as well. I ran the 45* on the turbo and ran it in front of the runners and around. Haven't had an issue yet. It naturally lays about 1.5" off the runner.

Hope it helped
Old 01-05-13, 09:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yea man just drop it through the runners, especially if you plan to wrap it first. Stainless lines can withstand 300+ degrees.
Old 01-05-13, 10:38 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 45 off the flange is fine. wouldn't do much more than that. IIRC mine is facing towards the right hand side headlight then loops back. On both my holset cars, both have been alive for a good while in this fashion.
Old 01-05-13, 04:10 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Yea man just drop it through the runners, especially if you plan to wrap it first. Stainless lines can withstand 300+ degrees.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ not a good idea stainless lines have rubber inside or teflon in the case of fuel lines and neither do well with the temps achieved by the manifold (the runners will glow red after some dyno pulls or some back to back highway pulls) rubber burns at well under 300 Degrees when in contact and it will always be in contact with the stainless exterior wrap.

Not to mention oil and hot manifolds === fire
Old 01-07-13, 06:41 AM
TSleid
Driver School Candidate

Okay great thanks guys. Ill be sure not to run it through the runners and just run it in front of them with the 45 angle off the turbo.

Now for you guys that are running the holsets. Which of you are running an oil restrictor on the -4an feed line?

You said you were running the df kit cheftank so maybe you could share what youve done.

Thanks
Old 01-07-13, 08:01 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

im doing a holset build right now. dont run a restrictor. as long as ur oil drain is -10 you'll be fine. to be on the safe side id put a sleeve on that oil drain, a fire proof sleeve like this
Old 01-07-13, 11:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't have the same turbo, but the only way to clear the runner was through it or a 45 off of the turbo.
I did a 45 off the turbo, and then the SS line all the way down into a 45 going into the block fitting.
just try not to use any 90 degree fittings, sometimes you can get away with a straight fitting on the block If you have extra length in your SS line to make that gentle curve straight in.

I always use a -3an no restrictor for journal bearing or a -4an with a restrictor.
I know you can use a 4an without one, but realize it moves a ridiculous amount of oil and our engines typically have more oil pressure than recommended for most turbo units. check with your turbo manufacturer for oil specs.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-07-13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 01:28 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

holsets are used on diesel engines so they love oil. they can handle all the oil pressure. just make sure your oil drain is no smaller than -10 and you wont have to run a restrictor
Old 01-07-13, 01:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yes Holset's are very forgiving when it comes to feed pressure, but that doesn't mean it should be constantly used with excess oil pressure. The only true way to setup a turbo is to first measure your oil pressure and go from there. Since so many of us turbocharge we already have an idea of what our pressures are, and on a JZ like most imports they are higher than what most turbo's call, but maybe not what they can handle (you are right about that).

One can usually reduce a little spool time by not forcing excess amounts of oil through the bearings. If you look at a 3an you will see how many times larger it is than a .065 hole (recommended for most Journal bearing turbo's), then look at how much larger a 4an line is than a 3an. It is quite shocking when you see all 3.
there is just no need for a straight -4 in most cases, and I definitely noticed the difference going from my original 4an line to a 3an line, my turbo felt much quicker on the spool up.

On another note I once cracked a 4an line by accident with the engine running because I was trying to tighten something nearby, and literally 1/3 of my motor oil was sitting on the exhaust side of the bay and ground by the time I ran over to turn the car off.
Old 01-08-13, 05:25 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out my build thread. iam running a holset and i ran into this problem and fixed it with a $50.00 item.
Old 01-08-13, 07:41 PM
cheftank
Rookie

Originally Posted by cheftank
I have a holset w/ the dm kit as well. I ran the 45* on the turbo and ran it in front of the runners and around. Haven't had an issue yet. It naturally lays about 1.5" off the runner.

Hope it helped

Old 01-08-13, 07:48 PM
cheftank
Rookie

Originally Posted by TSleid
Okay great thanks guys. Ill be sure not to run it through the runners and just run it in front of them with the 45 angle off the turbo.

Now for you guys that are running the holsets. Which of you are running an oil restrictor on the -4an feed line?

You said you were running the df kit cheftank so maybe you could share what youve done.

Thanks
the DM oil feed adapter wont fit the holset.

-4 AN to M12x1.25 Straight Adapter 4G63T EVO TD05H 1.5mm Oil Restrictor

$5 on ebay and free shipping.

i'm old school, journal bearing = restictor, Ball = no

i just dont want to push the seals at higher pressure.
Old 01-09-13, 10:44 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a restrictor on a -4 line and you're probably gonna run into problems. I can't tell you definitely because I've never run a restrictor, but I did have the stock dodge feed fitting and inner diameter looked like -4 when compared to -4. I've had two different cars running holsets, both vvti and non vvti 1jz, and run a -4 line as is and haven't had a single problem yet. Both cars daily driven, daily beaten, and the turbos were from craigslist with unknown miles. Easily have 25,000 miles on each setup.

Quick Reply: Hx35 Turbo Drain Routing Help?