Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 07:07 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it definitely isn't rod knock either, I spent all morning youtube sleuthing around and our sound isn't quite the same as that. I havent quite found anything that really sounds like this noise, closest thing I could find is that it's possible we may be in need of a new oil filter as the car may not be getting oil pressure as fast on startup due to a clog... but that doesnt sound quite right either. I will keep looking later tonight when I get back home and see if I can figure it out. Hopefully it's not a huge problem like everyone has been saying. I'd hate to need a new engine at 145k miles.

How high does your car rev upon startup while the noise is being made?
Mine revs up to between 1600-2200 rpms on startup depending on temperature and I've noticed it only makes the noise if it revs above 2100 rpms during startup.
Old 01-22-13, 12:53 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I think the RPM jump on start up sounds about right.

I changed the oil and filter but the sound at the first second of a cold start still there. And I'm using 10W-30.

I'm heading to the shop my car is at now and see what they. If all is good, then I'm hving them do my timing belt and water pump... the seals too, idler tensioner, etc.
Old 01-22-13, 04:23 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

UPDATE: Good news! Good news. So the shop said it's just low oil pressure. Not dead low, just lower than specs. It could be the oil pump or just anywhere oil circulates. But even at that, I asked if I should replace the oil pump. No need. Now, I'm having them do my timing belt, timing tensioner, timing idler pulley, crank and cam seals and the water pump. $550. Not $1000 for an engine replace Should have my Lexi back either tomorrow or Thursday, they'll be done tomorrow for sure. I'll just be in PA and won't be back before they close.

For references, I will try to get a clear video of my cold start noise. That way anyone else with the same issue can be a bit more rest assured it's nothing major hopefully.
Old 01-22-13, 06:27 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not good at all...low oil pressure + clanking noise sounds like you motor is either incredibly gummed up, or your motor is about to toss a rod. If the noise is occurring everytime you start it cold, then its probably causing that much more damage each time.

Question: does the car feel like it has a misfire at all? Also when was your last motor flush?
Old 01-22-13, 06:46 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

No misfires, runs perfect. Not sure about the motor flush, only owned the car since September 2nd of 2012.

I'll probably pour seafoam or marvels mystery oil **** down the tube to clean and do an oil change.
Old 01-22-13, 07:08 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheAzn
No misfires, runs perfect. Not sure about the motor flush, only owned the car since September 2nd of 2012.

I'll probably pour seafoam or marvels mystery oil **** down the tube to clean and do an oil change.
No misfire feeling is good...I would flush the crap outta the motor and see how it sounds after
Old 01-22-13, 07:42 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

What's the appropriate way to flush the oil system? Or is it basically pouring seafomam or similar into the oil, run it for some time then change the oil?
Old 01-22-13, 08:42 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Good to hear. Low oil pressure definitely sounds right, now it's time to find out why the oil pressure is so low. Don't know why I said oil filter earlier as that definitely wouldn't cause this problem. unless we were being extremely negligent but my oil filter is only 2 months old. Definitely thinking the oil pump could be the issue, but I guess a full flush is in order. If I can get my new camcorder working I'll also get a video up of my startup noise so we can compare.
Old 01-22-13, 08:55 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

What's the appropriate way to flush the oil system? Or is it basically pouring seafomam or similar into the oil, run it for some time then change the oil?
Sea foam would work, but after you run the car get the oil/seafoam mix out asap. They also sell the motor fluch at most auto parts stores.
Old 01-23-13, 03:16 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

how exactly did they verify that it was low oil pressure?

also, while ive never been a fan of seafoaming (as sometimes it exposes more problems than it solves) make sure you get it done before they do all of that other work as it will foul your spark plugs. may as well have them seaforam it for you then just pick it up at once
Old 01-23-13, 05:58 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

I am curious as well to know exactly why its getting really low oil pressure at startup.. and how did they test for this??? DId they give you some kind of remedy for this problem??

Also... I recently had a similar problem, but mine ended up being the ****ty harmonic balancer came apart and was causing a really loud squeal at cold start too.. luckily nothing else went wrong.
Old 01-23-13, 06:37 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

No remedies. He said I shouldn't worry about it.

Not sure exactly how they verified it was low oil pressure. Maybe got readings from an oil pressure sensor?
Old 01-23-13, 07:14 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

No remedies. He said I shouldn't worry about it.

Not sure exactly how they verified it was low oil pressure. Maybe got readings from an oil pressure sensor?
This doesn't sound like the kind of thing not to worry about, but here's a little bit of laughable trivia. Was on the Hummer forums reading what they said and apparently this happens to almost every single GM and is completely normal for them. They are also told not to worry about it.
I'd still like to figure out some way to get rid of this awful sound though, it makes me cringe every morning, can't have a nice car that sounds like this on start-up.
Old 01-23-13, 09:25 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

My brother in law has a Pontiac G8 that occasionally does it and they told him the same.

Besides sounds, Porsches start with a **** load of oil being burned off, like a storm cloud out the tail pipe.

Ultimately, if it's not an issue while I'm driving and can last until whenever, I'm happy enough. At least for me, there's 267k miles something on the motor so it's to be expected maybe. I'm sure if it was any other car, that mileage would be unlikely.
Old 01-23-13, 09:38 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

I'm a little curious. I haven't changed the battery on this car since I bought it, so I'm wondering if maybe the cold temperature is affecting my battery and possibly there are less CCAmps if the battery is a little old. It's possible that the Oil pump is getting slightly less voltage until the belt gets the alternator going. I'm going to test my battery this weekend and see.

I'll also get a vid up this weekend. Already drove the car today so I can't film it, but I got the camcorder working so I'll make a video tomorrow morning and test the battery on friday to see if it's just a simple voltage issue. Because it only seems to happen when the engine is cold and it's cold outside (cold as in not the typical 90+ degrees of summer, spring, and fall here), and the batteries are less efficient the colder they are because they rely on a chemical process. Would definitely save me seafoaming my engine which I am loathe to do.

Quick Reply: Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/