Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 09:21 PM
spitfire7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bad thing. My car does the same thing. It's the rods knocking. Every once in a while my oil light comes on. Not the red one, but the yellow one in the middle of the cluster. My moms Thunderbird was doing the same thing. One day after starting it the knocking didn't go away.....
Old 01-24-13, 11:59 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
I'm a little curious. I haven't changed the battery on this car since I bought it, so I'm wondering if maybe the cold temperature is affecting my battery and possibly there are less CCAmps if the battery is a little old. It's possible that the Oil pump is getting slightly less voltage until the belt gets the alternator going. I'm going to test my battery this weekend and see.

I'll also get a vid up this weekend. Already drove the car today so I can't film it, but I got the camcorder working so I'll make a video tomorrow morning and test the battery on friday to see if it's just a simple voltage issue. Because it only seems to happen when the engine is cold and it's cold outside (cold as in not the typical 90+ degrees of summer, spring, and fall here), and the batteries are less efficient the colder they are because they rely on a chemical process. Would definitely save me seafoaming my engine which I am loathe to do.
I don't think the battery power would affect the oil pump. If the battery was low, it'll just hinder the motor from turning over. Weak turn overs. As if you're running 75W motor oil lol

The sound I'm getting... well, the warmest days I've had with my SC has been maybe mid 70's. It'll still do the sound at start up but not as pronounced when colder. I mean the temps in MD is damn near less than 20 deg F, the sound is not loud. However it feels, sorta speak.

Originally Posted by spitfire7
It's a bad thing. My car does the same thing. It's the rods knocking. Every once in a while my oil light comes on. Not the red one, but the yellow one in the middle of the cluster. My moms Thunderbird was doing the same thing. One day after starting it the knocking didn't go away.....
Rod knocking would be at start up, acceleration, under load or possibly the entire time the engine is running. This specific sound we are talking about is ONLY at the first one or two second after the engine fires and takes over after the starter cranks it. After that, it's all dandy.

I never had the yellow oil light come on, AT ALL. During the first or two seconds, if the sound is made, the red oil light is on for the same amount of time (one or two seconds). So it's definitely oil pressure.
Old 01-25-13, 12:02 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Here's my video I took before. Forgot what temperature that day was. The knock sound occurs at 0:18 and gone milliseconds before 0:20. It may be a bit difficult to hear since my motor is kind of noisy. But you'll hear a distinct sound from the rest of the noise pollution.

Old 01-25-13, 07:22 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

That doenst sound healthy at all (from 18-20 or how your car is running after that ).! could that be valve clearance? i definitely dont think thats an oil pump related sound but thats just my two cents
Old 01-25-13, 08:08 AM
spitfire7
Driver School Candidate

My yellow light came on while I was driving. Never on start up. Dang bro..... Mine knocks for 2 seconds when I start it as well, but yours sounds..... I don't know???? Keep us posted.

Last edited by spitfire7; 01-25-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 10:12 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greens14
how exactly did they verify that it was low oil pressure?

also, while ive never been a fan of seafoaming (as sometimes it exposes more problems than it solves) make sure you get it done before they do all of that other work as it will foul your spark plugs. may as well have them seaforam it for you then just pick it up at once
If you are only using seafoam in the oil it wont foul your plugs.

If you want to go old school on cleaning out the oil and engine gunk pour about a quart of kerosene
in the oil. Run the car about 50-100 miles then drain and replace. Some oil pumps have a metal filter / screen (not sure about the SC) and it will clog with gunk and oil pressure will fall. Kerosene is used to clear it out.
Old 01-25-13, 04:38 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheAzn
Here's my video I took before. Forgot what temperature that day was. The knock sound occurs at 0:18 and gone milliseconds before 0:20. It may be a bit difficult to hear since my motor is kind of noisy. But you'll hear a distinct sound from the rest of the noise pollution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukIpJsaDQTA
Oh, mine doesn't sound quite the same as that. I'm wondering if I might have an exhaust leak? But the sound from an exhaust leak doesn't go away after cold start does it? Hmmm, I'll get a video up once the car cools down here and I'll see what we get.