Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 02:58 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/

My fifth month of owning the car... At first I was banking on having the shop do my timing belt, seals and water pump as well as wires and plugs. But I have been concerned with the 2 seconds of sound I get from the engine at a cold start up. Occasionally it's 2 seconds of LOUD, most of the time just very audible 2 seconds, some times none. After the sounds, sounds like a normal, aged engine. Not whisper quiet but I know the deal quiet. All my searches tells me it's either a bad oil pump, main rod bearings, or perhaps just normal but I doubt that.

So, awaiting for that call tomorrow :/ Either all is ok, minor problem easily fixable, or new engine.

Anyone had an engine replaced at a shop? If so, what $ am I looking at? Not a swap, just a 2JZGE for another 2JZGE.

Old 01-21-13, 03:46 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably your harmonic balancer pulley is going bad if it's a very loud squeal.
Old 01-21-13, 04:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
Probably your harmonic balancer pulley is going bad if it's a very loud squeal.
I had a squeal so loud i was scared to drive the car. We replaced the belt and it went away.
Old 01-21-13, 05:15 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The cost is going to depend on the shop, if its the dealer you're looking at 5k... If that's the case I'll fly to you, do the swap including all parts and and only charge you 4 . You're wasting your time swapping for another GE motor, at least go 1j or gte and add some worth to your car. My .02
Old 01-21-13, 08:16 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

It's not a squeal guys. If it was a squeal I would be a billion times happier as I can replace belts or pulley myself. It's knocks/ taps within the engine. Cold start, sounds like 2 seconds of metal ***** being thrown around.

And it's not the dealer. I get my parts from Sewell Lexus. I took my Lex to a shop my friend takes his cars to. They do excellent work, they know their ****.

I'll research how much a GTE or 1JZ would run me versus a straight GE. I will not be doing the swap myself, need my car, it's my DD and only car for right now.
Old 01-21-13, 08:39 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

After a short research, yeah I don't have $2000+ to do a swap. I can pull money but it'll take me months to get how much I need. Looks like a good average cost for a 2JZGTE is around $5k to $8k. So yea, I'll probably just go for another GE for right now unless my current GE can last this whole year, run it into the ground and hopefully have the $.

We'll see. Just waiting to see what the problem first and go from their.
Old 01-21-13, 08:46 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like timing belt
Old 01-21-13, 08:47 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

if its not at the shop rotate the crank all the way through so you can inspect all sections of the timing belt, might put you at ease.
Old 01-21-13, 08:56 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not the p/s pump is it? mine has recently made some noise on cold starts. though it's more of a whining noise.
Old 01-21-13, 09:02 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Definitely not a timing belt.

Sound goes away when oil light goes off.

My PS pump squeals a slight bit to but knowing what it is, I'm not bothered by it as thats an easy fix.
Old 01-21-13, 09:51 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Ouch...this is gonna cost you. oil light and metal rattling isnt good. Good luck
Old 01-22-13, 12:59 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Ouch...this is gonna cost you. oil light and metal rattling isnt good. Good luck

Thanks.

If inhave to get a replacement engine, so be it. I'll get another 2JZ, I dont have money for FI swap yet, plus my other original project car needs to be done first so that can be running.
Old 01-22-13, 03:01 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheAzn
Sound goes away when oil light goes off.

keep us updated, thats definitely undisclosed and unpleasant info
Old 01-22-13, 04:15 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
He means how all of the lights turn on at startup and then eventually turn off. His oil light isn't actually "on."
I'm curious what your problem might be. I've been trying to figure out how to describe this sound or what it could be. I hear it on my car during really cold starts as well. I never used to be able to hear it because my harmonic balancer was going out, but now that I fixed it I definitely hear it. Azn hit it right on the head, best way to describe it would be like metal ***** rattling around for 2 seconds upon cold start.
Old 01-22-13, 06:38 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Yep, metal rattling. Not rattling like a loose exhaust component, but the sound is almost similar to the sound of detonation or a piston slap but not AS bad.

And it's not continuous, just the first two seconds when the engine fires up. After that, it's fine.

Quick Reply: Just Dropped Off My Lexi At A Shop :/