Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hiccup after sc3 spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 08:44 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiccup after sc3 spark plug change

Greetings!
I had decided to swap my spark plugs this Sunday, and everything went well.
When I start the car, it idles perfect.
But if I hit a constant speed under 3k rpm, my car will sometimes hiccup, like a cylinder didn't fire.
I haven't tried anything yet to fix it, but I have a couple ideas.

My spark plug wires could have been damaged somehow in the swap, I had a really hard time getting some of them off.

Another could be that when I removed the throttle wire off the throttle body, I feel like it could have been loosened somehow, I had a pretty tough time getting it to come free so I may have pulled it to hard to get it out?

People I have asked have mentioned possible fuel filter or injector, but this problem never happened before the spark plug change so it doesn't seem like it would be these.

I can't really smell the car running rich or lean so I don't think it is a constant issue, really only in low rpm.

I can force it to happen if I let off the gas then put it lightly back on.
Any ideas would be great because I would prefer to diagnose the problem rather than go change parts ***** nilly. Mostly because I don't have a lot of time to spend under the hood.
Old 01-24-13, 08:55 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoupFlies
Greetings!
I had decided to swap my spark plugs this Sunday, and everything went well.
When I start the car, it idles perfect.
But if I hit a constant speed under 3k rpm, my car will sometimes hiccup, like a cylinder didn't fire.
I haven't tried anything yet to fix it, but I have a couple ideas.

My spark plug wires could have been damaged somehow in the swap, I had a really hard time getting some of them off.

I had this happen to me once.One of the wires got caught and pinched putting the spark plug cover back on.Ran like a cylinder was out..I'd check your spark plug wires again.It's either the plugs or wires.
Old 01-25-13, 12:09 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could simply be a loose wire, such as a plug wire. At idle, the alternator isn't providing as much power as it would at a higher RPM. So if the wire is loose or a gap of a spark plug is too wide, not enough power at lower RPM for electricity to arc and fire the spark plug correctly. High RPM, there's more power so it's now able to arc and fire.
Old 01-25-13, 08:44 AM
sc400ka
Pole Position

check wires, also did you unplug the wires from the dizzy? if so check to make sure you put the wires on the correct way. did this when i put on my new header! also check the connector inside the wires to see if there not damaged. i know i will be doing a tune up with my tax return, and a few other things.
Old 01-25-13, 09:28 AM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Great!

I am glad to know that most of you guys are on the same page as I am... makes me feel better about the situation.

I'm a little skeptical on the gap of the plugs, where can I find out exactly what gap to be using?? I haven't actually seen a real number.

I have seen 1.1mm or .043" but, I am unsure.

I will keep you all updated on whether or not it is wires
Old 01-25-13, 09:41 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any OEM plugs for that car should be twin electrode, and come pre-gapped, in fact, I don't think you can gap them without damaging them.
Old 01-25-13, 09:49 AM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Correct, they were pre-gapped (.044) but they are single electrode. The ones I pulled out of the car were also single electrode, but they were copper core instead of platinum.
I bought: NGK BKR5EGP g-power platinums, they didn't say oe style, and now I notice that the
ngk laser plats say oe style - BKR5EP-11

Is that going to make a huge difference? I wouldn't think that would be the reason for my current problem.
Old 01-27-13, 11:16 AM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

I'm quite a bit frustrated. I ordered my new wires through a local auto parts store, promised that they would have them by 3, and I showed up around seven only to get no real answers. Well today I call and they still have no clue as to what is going on. Today I was going to do the swap. I'm going to try to find a set today and get this done. I'm quite tired of whipping around every so often.
Old 01-27-13, 07:04 PM
SoupFlies
Driver School Candidate

Good news, found another place in town that had the wires. Bought them and got them installed before the first place called me back. Replaced that rag that was the air filter as well, all problems are gone. Now I just need to deal with the oil and power steering leaks, and get the clutch replaced.
Thanks for the confirmation on what I thought the fix was
Old 01-28-13, 02:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I wish I had seen this 2 days ago I would have convinced you to go Iridium while you were in there but glad you resolved it. Platinums are old technology and didn't perform as good as copper, just lasts much longer.
Iridium performs as good if not better than copper and lasts a long time, next time grab a bkr5EIX -11 and enjoy!