Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with supercharging my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13 | 01:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Nice car, and really nice steering wheel. cant wait to see the rest.
supercharging is always a great idea on a 1uz.
Old 02-18-13 | 12:08 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Default New interior

I just got the car back from the upholstery shop,--> not very happy with the result, however it is way better than before. Here are a few pictures:

Old 02-18-13 | 05:31 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

that steering wheel is beautiful, im following this thread to learn more about boosting/charging the 1uz
Old 02-18-13 | 08:38 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Looks like they do quality work. I like it.

Ryan
Old 02-18-13 | 10:49 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Default FMIC or Water/Methanol

I read countless posts about Water/Methanol vs FMIC and i'm still confused.
KC who's setup i'm copying chose FMIC in the beginning and changed it later for Water/Methanol injection. If i understood correctly he got better results with Water/Methanol, due to better flow and shorter piping. The downside of water/methanol injection is the limited amount of fluid you can store in the tank and i'm guessing reliablility. A FMIC is a permanent solution even if it is more restrictive. FMIC is contributing in increasing the heat in Engine bay because it is blocking the radiator. Seems there are both upsides and downsides with both sollutions.
I already spoke to KC and i know what to buy if i were to choose water/methanol.
When it comes to FMIC, i really don't know what to choose. Seems that there are 2 types of FMICs: Stacked Plate or Tube and Fin construction. Stacked plate would be my first choice due to better efficiency, they are however somewhat heavier. Most of the FMICs on ebay are tube and fin construction and they promise better efficiency than stacked plate. Hmm...The SC is already heavy, and i have no ambition of turning my car into a racing machine.
So... what i need to know is:
What size for piping? 2,5" or 3"
What size for core ?

/Mike
Old 02-19-13 | 09:20 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Supercharger pulley

Hi guys,
I placed a bid on a Vortech V2, S trim, CCW rotation on ebay 1250 US$, which is a reasonable price for a rebuilt unit.
Now to my questions:
1. What size would the pulley be?
2. How many ribs?
3. Ratio ?

/Mike

Last edited by mickesanda; 02-22-13 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-22-13 | 01:36 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Look what's cookin'

8x315cc injectors in my ultrasonic bath, swimming in degreaser. Yummy !

Thanks Blizzy
Old 02-23-13 | 12:41 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Dinner is ready

Well it didn't help very much to wash them in ultrasonic bath, i don't think degreaser transmits sound waves as good as water, i had to clean them manually.
Old 02-24-13 | 01:38 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Default New Vortech head unit ordered

I just bought a new Vortech V3 SCi, straight discharge, CCW
Max Speed:53000 RPM
Max Boost:17 PSI
Max Flow:1050 CFM
Max Power:725 HP
Discharge OD:2.75"
Inlet OD:3.5"
Discharge ID:2.38"
Inducer Diameter:3.1"

Last edited by mickesanda; 02-24-13 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-25-13 | 09:17 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mickesanda
I read countless posts about Water/Methanol vs FMIC and i'm still confused.
KC who's setup i'm copying chose FMIC in the beginning and changed it later for Water/Methanol injection. If i understood correctly he got better results with Water/Methanol, due to better flow and shorter piping. The downside of water/methanol injection is the limited amount of fluid you can store in the tank and i'm guessing reliablility. A FMIC is a permanent solution even if it is more restrictive. FMIC is contributing in increasing the heat in Engine bay because it is blocking the radiator. Seems there are both upsides and downsides with both sollutions.
I already spoke to KC and i know what to buy if i were to choose water/methanol.
When it comes to FMIC, i really don't know what to choose. Seems that there are 2 types of FMICs: Stacked Plate or Tube and Fin construction. Stacked plate would be my first choice due to better efficiency, they are however somewhat heavier. Most of the FMICs on ebay are tube and fin construction and they promise better efficiency than stacked plate. Hmm...The SC is already heavy, and i have no ambition of turning my car into a racing machine.
So... what i need to know is:
What size for piping? 2,5" or 3"
What size for core ?

/Mike
Tube and fin are lighter but less efficient. They weight half but you need twice as big IC to get the same air temp drop that a bar and plate provides.
I recommend you to go with a bar and plate one. I have a big 32''x12''x3'' and fits very nice while not heavy at all (aluminium). You can even install a 27''x7''x2.5'' to save some weight too. Pipping size? go with 2,5'' , better flow and less headache to go through. Win win.
Old 02-25-13 | 09:38 AM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Fmic

Bar and plate it is then
Thanx
/Mike
Old 03-01-13 | 01:11 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Got some stuff

Look what the postman brought today:

Old 03-01-13 | 02:07 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

are you sure is that the LS braket you need? Isnīt suppose to be a pulley there? Iīve put one and continued using the same serpentine belt.
Old 03-01-13 | 02:11 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Default Pulley

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
are you sure is that the LS braket you need? Isnīt suppose to be a pulley there? Iīve put one and continued using the same serpentine belt.
I really don't know what it's supposed to look like, this is what Lextreme sent me. I would appreciate some advice on what more parts i need for the fan conversion.
Thx,
/Mike
Old 03-01-13 | 03:01 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

oh, then itīs right. He knows better what you need. I think that is because your compressor is belt driven and the extra pulley goes on the compressor.
For cooling Iīve installed 2x14Ļ fans on mine (one on each side of the rad) Our setups are different but I think thatīll work on yours too.

Last edited by MMCtuner; 03-04-13 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with supercharging my SC400