Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I need some advice on an Ebay Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 11:06 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vrank
driftmotion turbos use garret internals and aaron will stand byb his stuff. cx is a great company as far as chinese products go and they're making a conscious effert to try to develop better products than the standard over seas fair, but I still wouldn't use their turbos. I ordered one recently to try on my gf's car since I get great deals through them and paired it with their oil feed kit due to past experiences with precision. when it arrived I noticed -4 line, but the feed fitting had a restrictor that seemed to me common to a ball bearing turbo that would kill most journal bearing turbos. They said this is the correct part and that not using it was going to blow out the seals. So I just kept the turbo I had and returned theirs. Overall the turbo seemed of decent quality, but dm uses tried and true stuff that I honestly would say after seeing the cx one is better.

The extra money you'd spend on a dm kit is for the turbo, the rest of the kit is probably cx racing or the same overseas manufacturer.

Also dont forget to factor in like another 1200 for fuel and management in some form or fashion
1200 for fuel management? Trying to scare the kid now are we lol. Im over here on a tt ecu for the past year for what it's worth.... Probably a third of your quote, I guess if i added a 3-400 dollar used ecu and some tuning from the d1 guys I would be at 1200 total. That's including, injectors, ecu, coil packs etc
Old 03-03-14, 11:33 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel and management. Not fuel management. And that price gives a buffer. You get lucky, you have leftover cash. Example: You buy some ****ty mk3 injectors for $50, you may have to spend $100 to get them cleaned and working properly. Injector o-rings aren't free. There's nickel and dime stuff that could add up. Buying used parts can be hit or miss. You always need to factor in a buffer zone for surprises, super especially important when you're on a tight budget as the nickel and dime show can break the whole project and make it come to a dead stop.

On top of all this, OP didn't even list his trans type which also needs to be accounted for
Old 03-03-14, 11:46 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vrank
Fuel and management. Not fuel management. And that price gives a buffer. You get lucky, you have leftover cash. Example: You buy some ****ty mk3 injectors for $50, you may have to spend $100 to get them cleaned and working properly. Injector o-rings aren't free. There's nickel and dime stuff that could add up. Buying used parts can be hit or miss. You always need to factor in a buffer zone for surprises, super especially important when you're on a tight budget as the nickel and dime show can break the whole project and make it come to a dead stop.

On top of all this, OP didn't even list his trans type which also needs to be accounted for
sorry, Fuel AND management (we both knew it was in reference to the same )

Sure, buffers are good. But 1200 is alot when it comes to puttin together an na-t.

if your really on a budget, you arent spending 1200 on fuel and management on an na-t build.... period

Comments like those are actually what used to scare me from pulling the turbo trigger on my car

I got lucky and Ali was making revelations in regards to the TT ecu mod at the time and I went for it. 5-600 later I had an upgraded ignition system, fuel, and management for up to 14 psi on my single.

Now a year later I'll probably drop 2-400 on a used piggyback and another 400 on tuning.

I do respect your opinion vrank, but in this case have to disagree. Because well.... in the case of ebay turbo kits. Nobody is gonna spend 1200 on fuel an management.... their entire kit likely cost less.
Old 03-03-14, 12:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

generally speaking the tt ecu mod would cost less than that, but if you bought everything new like coils and injectors and one of the rarer gte ecu's like an odb2 one then it could start to add up there but Vrank is right in that you want to err on the higher side and if you save some cash that is great, but some people only factor in $150 for an safc and think that is it and they need to see a big $$ number up there to get the idea that you need to do a good amount of wiring to convert for the gte ecu + the cost, or you have to go standalone to have a good running car and minimum drop 800 plus another 4-500 for a general tune.
That being said I really have thoroughly enjoyed my knock off turbo kit and gte ecu setup. The knock offs will do silly things like give you an extra large 4an line for a jounral bearing and put a restrictor in there but I always re-customize it myself with a 3an line and generally no restrictor whatsoever. I do not run a 4an line I think it causes people lots of problems on smaller framed turbo's.
Old 03-03-14, 12:28 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to throw my 2 cents in, the new style CXRacing 1JZ manifold is REALLY good. Even compared to domestic products. It doesn't have the pretty merge collector quite yet but someone sat down with a grinder and did a very nice job of cleaning up those manifolds. It's far beyond the older ebay style and ssautochome manifolds. The tubing is huge and it weighs a ton compared to the older manifolds but I don't plan to brace this one at all. It's very sturdy.

If ya grabbed one before they jacked up the price on it, ya have a great buy.