Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03 | 03:18 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I believe the turbo in the Stage 1.5 is the same turbo housing with a different A/R ratio. It is still a TO4e.

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-03-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-03-03 | 04:16 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

ohh alright, thanks. I just had to ask because it has been puzzling me ever since the begining of your project.
Old 03-03-03 | 04:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

FYI I am getting the FPR and some tuning since with the TT MAF and the current tuning the manifold runs kind of hot sometimes. Based on Supraforums info they stated this would be alleviated with a round of tuning. The manifold was getting to 1400 or higher on some pulls.

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-03-03 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-03-03 | 06:09 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Hermosa and SC300TURBO, I will simply re-state what pcmw said earlier: please drop this argument or take it to PM. Nothing more. Thanks.
Old 03-03-03 | 08:48 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

You guys keep talking about stages. Lance will sell you just about any kit you want. 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0 whatever. He doesn't even sell anything in real stages, its just that its so common in the industry -- gives a reference point. The 1.5 kit was probably coined from mine, cause I simply wanted a stage 1 with a little more stuff. I specifically asked for a larger turbo than the base kit and did it somewhat a la carte. You just tell him how fast you wanna go, he tells you how much to pay. Along the way, he asked what specifics on the T60-1 I wanted-- top end power, or quicker spool up. I could have gone with (I think) a .75 A/R on the exhaust side, but opted for the smaller A/R with the larger P trim wheel. The pricing on the turbos isn't different enough between the models to really make much difference in the overall price of the kit. I was also interested in a turbo that could be carried into the more serious hp levels.
Old 03-04-03 | 07:47 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, Lance was the same way with me, how fast do you want to go, this is how much to pay. As much as he ignores the phone, try finding someone with his knowledge and experience that's willing to basically put a kit together for your specific requirements. Still waiting for word on Lance's new manifold before my decision is made...
Old 03-04-03 | 08:22 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

So is it really the end of their old log style manifold. I heard the company that fabricates them wanted an insane amount of units to be ordered.
Old 03-04-03 | 09:25 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

No need for further arugments guys. I'm sure things will work themselves out. They always do..
Anyways, the $7k you listed does not include installation. Can anyone give an estimate on how much it'll be if I bring my car to them to install? ( It sounds like Toyomoto's hard to get a hold off to ask them about this).

Originally posted by Hermosa

On another note:

Summation to folks here.

This should be the Stage II kit for 1996 SC300 (at minimum)

440CC RC Injectors
Turbo TO4e
Exhaust Manifold
New Intake w/filter - that really fits in the car
Supra TT MAF
Thick Headgasket
Wastegate set at 6lbs
3" Downpipe
3" Midpipe
Warlbro fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Apexi S-AFC
Apexi AVC-R
Front Mount Intercooler
Custom Piping
Greddy Type S BOV
Extras(oil lines, connectors,etc.)

$7000

This kit can actually get you to the horsepower level claimed and not 210RWHP under. [/B]
Old 03-04-03 | 10:27 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

1) TO4E Turbo
2) Cast Iron Manifold
3) Turbo Piping
4) Wastegate
5) Wastegate Piping
6) Large Intercooler
7) Intercooler Piping
8) Blow Off Valve
9) Haltek E6K
10) MSD DIS 4
11) 550cc Injectors
12) Fuel Pressure Regulator
13) Toyomoto Headgasket
14) Toyomoto Custom Fuel Rail
15) TT Fuel Pump
16) Braided Fuel/Oil Lines
17) Custom Fuel Intake Fuel Bracket
18) Transmission Valve Body

Total (labor included): $15,000.00

This is with Haltech and MSD included with larger injectors + valve body adjustment
Old 03-04-03 | 10:35 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

if your interested in a kit email toyomoto
sales@toyomoto.com

they can price out and put together the kit you want....Jeff
Old 03-04-03 | 10:05 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The $15k sounds close with install, but with stand alone ECU, lower compression head gasket, etc, you'd be better off with something larger than a TO4E. Just my .02. FYI, on stock compression, the T60-1 spools at 1800rpm on my car with a no cats, big midpipe, stock cat-back -- in other words, if a T60-1 doesn't have much lag, a T04E would be virtually instant at the expense of top end power. I would suggest something like Hermosa's list, but with something between a T60 and T66 sized turbo with conservative A/R and perhaps larger injectors with FPR and a pair of MKIV turbo fuel pumps. That setup should yield 500- 550rwhp on pump gas. My advice to those who plan on lowering compression----get a BIG turbo. It's like a boob job, you'll always want to go bigger. If you're planning on staying with stock compression, a T60-1 seems ideal. If you're lowering compression to 8.5:1, adding fuel and big intercooler, you need something that will thrive in the 18-22psi range, which would pretty much exclude the T04E or T60-1. In this range, the SP63 (Sound Performance) really is ideal and can produce some awesome hp numbers.

BTW... I thought the penny-pincher Bean would like to know this: I just bought a replacement oil return line from the turbo from Summit using the same parts as on the Toyomoto kit (I butchered the originalt) total was $77.60 for a 2 ft Aeroquip hose with ends. Yikes! this s#!t adds up...
Old 03-05-03 | 05:47 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

so are you saying that toyomoto really isnt ripping off anyone sc300t...lol......quality parts cost money....point blank....it can be done cheaper but its just that....cheap.....
and now acording to hermosa everyone here think im an A$$....thats funny....
Jeff
Old 03-05-03 | 06:44 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Jeff......everyone here thinks your an a$$

IMHO....its just the opposite. Anyone following this thread would love to have someone like you or Scott share there knowledge and experience with the rest of us. I have been following your progress for years now. Even when some of us choose to go a different route......you guy's are still there to make suggestions and share info.
I also think that threads like this are some of the most educational...and so do alot of others(just look at how many views this thread has gotten)
Hermosa...I really hope you finally get everything going to your satisfaction.
Just my .02cents

gadgetSC
Old 03-05-03 | 07:15 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

thank you gadget.....i have tried to help everyone...all the time.....and tried to share my experience...im glad someone appreciates it.....
Jeff
Old 03-05-03 | 07:25 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thanks Gadget,

I hope everything does work out too and I think I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. My stopping point is now that my tuner is on jury duty, hehe . Hopefully it is a short case. The car does not have much go on launch yet and hesitates with TRAC off(or on). I overcome vacuum at 2250RPM now but I think it may be better once I finally get the tuning. If you guys have a 1996-97 SC300 then make sure you get a different MAF as that will help get the maps closer which means less time tuning. Turboing a car like this is never cheap. Price was never an issue really, just completeness and customer satisfaction. I already had the Supra SMIC and tubing plus I wanted to get a FMIC. Legend when(if) you want to go turbo with an SC just make sure you find someone who has followup and sells a complete working kit out of a single box. It will be better if you have a single company do the entire install so find one local if you can. From this post we learned that being local to the company is the only real way to keep the project on track. The 2JZ-GTE swap at Sound Performance is great deal and given the opportunity I would wind everything back and go this route. Then it is just a matter of adding BPU upgrades. If you have an auto that you want the 6 speed on you should get everything done at once since there are other components such as the ECU, driveshaft, differential, tranny, etc that need to be changed at the same time. If you need help locating any parts I will gladly help since I had to find plenty myself

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-05-03 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project