Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 04:08 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by wmulli
The pics of the Toyomoto manifolds I've seen were all equal length, tubular works of art! Maybe the have a cheaper (cast) version?

Also, I heard of lot of folks on this forum saying the FMAX manifolds were poorly produced and suffered from cracking?!? Anybody got the DEFINITIVE answer?

Also, does anybody know what FMAX gets for their manifolds?
Mine was cast iron. Pretty simple looking too.
Old 12-24-02, 06:01 AM
quadoptix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s-afc

is by no means a fuel controller...it just adjusts the air curve, not the fuel. If yo uwant to run safe and expect to build upon the kit, just go all out on a fuel management system. =) Its better in the long run instead of running 5 or 6 piggy back add ons....I know its more to spend right now, but you save later =)
Mike
Old 12-25-02, 09:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

wmulli, don't know what manifold you were looking at, but Toyomoto's is a simple cast iron log-style. The FMAX is very very similar, even down to the slits between the primaries for expansion and contraction, but is not of the same quality as Lance's piece. Either way, you're looking at a manifold that is not particularly abundant in low end torque, but produces a nice dyno curve and is good to 700+ hp apparently, the Toyomoto manifold has been on SC300TURBO's car for 3+ years with absolutely no problems. Not too much out there equal-length for the GE, but PF makes one, and it's good to 900+ hp, there are pros and cons for both, for the GTE the RPS and HKS manifolds are like artwork. wmulli, it's around $750 I believe for that FMAX manifold, make sure to do a search and read the Supra fire at NOPi story first. Quadoptix, what the hell is an air curve? If it's not a fuel controller, tell me, what does the AFC stand for?
- LL
Old 12-25-02, 10:30 PM
quadoptix
Rookie

Default afc

what i meant by air curve is the a/f mixture....the afc doesnt change the fuel aspect...just the air ratio...so u can make ur car run rich or lean accordingly.
Old 01-08-03, 07:11 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Okay the head is back in the car and the turbo is attached. The car is starting to be put back together.

The Toyomoto exhaust manifold needed modification to fit my SC though! We had to get a carbide tool and shave off the edge of the front of the manifold.

Also the kit did not come with gaskets for the turbo parts.

A part used to attach the turbo needed to be discarded since it placed the turbo in a undesirable direction.

Coilovers were sitting next to the car so those are going in soon as well.
Old 01-09-03, 09:45 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Oh boy........
let me start with injectors....i had 440 cc injectors in my car and i put 440 rwhp on the injectors...and when you dont go with a VPC thats what you have to use with the AFC.......if you wanted 550cc then you need an aftermarket ECU or a VPC and AFC ...but that would cost you more which you didnt want to spend

the is300 kit is ALOT more money and is installed in house......its not the same as the sc300 set up...there is no absorbtion or inflation in price for the sc300 kit....Toyomoto will help you put together what ever kit you want depending on how much you want to spend.....Lance has never been about Raping anyone....he is not cheap but uses great parts and the kit is well engineered and WORK WELL.....

as far as gaskets missing....everything was there when shipped several months ago...

have you sent back the tools that Lance sent you several months ago?....he sent these to be nice since you said you were in desperate need so you could install the kit that weekend?....have you returned them yet?

as for turbo placement.....i dont know what is the problem there...my placement was never an issue...

as for f-max...its a cheaply made manifold and i know several people who had issues with it and swapped to a toyomoto manifold....the toyomoto manifold has been on several 700+rwhp cars and has run 9sec 1/4 miles......its strong....durable....makes hella power and has earned the reputaion it has....Lance designed it and has rights to it.....i have had mine for over 3 years and had NO problems at all....ever.. mabye its simple looking......but its VERY efficent.....
and Bean.......the toyomoto package includes everything you need...hermosa asked for parts not to be included to cut the cost down.......including the intercooler and piping......Lance tried to work with him to make him as happy as possible.....obvioulsy it didnt work....

as for the claims of the stage 2 kit...i spent well over 12k getting mine done and i safely made 440 rwhp all day every day on pump gas ...on race gas the car made even more power.....and i was totaly happy with every aspect of the kit.......Scott Hureau-sc300t computerwiz-stephen both can attest to the completness of the kit and quality......

sorry if your not happy hermosa....but you have asked for certian things......and got what you asked for.....you wanted to save cash by cutting out parts....but then complain about not having all the parts.......i dont know what to tell you.....i also spent alot of my time trying to help out and do what i could to make you happy....guess it was a waste of my time.....
Jeff
Old 01-09-03, 11:33 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
Oh boy........
let me start with injectors....i had 440 cc injectors in my car and i put 440 rwhp on the injectors...and when you dont go with a VPC thats what you have to use with the AFC.......if you wanted 550cc then you need an aftermarket ECU or a VPC and AFC ...but that would cost you more which you didnt want to spend
Where do you get your info? You could not be more wrong. I do not know where you got your info. I did not want to spend more money? I am sorry but you are a fool. I am tired of you misrepresenting what I want.

I tried to get Toyomoto to confirm everything in the kit but they flat out refused. Toyomoto would not release any information so I just paid for the kit and hoped they would not rip me off. Had I known that they would strip down the kit so much I would not have ordered it.

Yes the IS kit is more but it includes labor and a valve body upgrade. The standard kit is $7500 for the SC Stage II and the Stage II IS kit if $15000. Toyomoto tried to screw me by saying that my Stage II would take 80 hours of labor to the stores that asked. I really had to shop around to find someone who did not listen to their BS.

So lets add it up.

SC300 Stage II kit - $7500 (I paid $6500 for their kit without intercooler)

My add-ons ( $1600 FMIC, $300 S-AFC, $500 AVC-R, $350 custom intercooler piping)

Labor estimate from Toyomoto - ($7600 based on $95/hr which is average in California)

So that's $16850 for the kit and it does not come with the valve body upgrade. Don't tell me I did not want to spend the money. Ask anyone else in this forum and you will find yourself wrong.

Toyomoto will help you put together what ever kit you want depending on how much you want to spend.....Lance has never been about Raping anyone....he is not cheap but uses great parts and the kit is well engineered and WORK WELL.....
Wrong. I repreat. They would not tell me what was in the kit. Everyone in this forum except you who live local know that Toyomoto does not respond to phone calls very quick or in many cases at all.

as far as gaskets missing....everything was there when shipped several months ago...
Wrong again. Remember the missing box? They did not even have a packing list to reference and had to ship two boxes and parts are still missing. I just did not want to spend additional months trying to get an answer and bought them myself.

have you sent back the tools that Lance sent you several months ago?....he sent these to be nice since you said you were in desperate need so you could install the kit that weekend?....have you returned them yet?
Well if he did not over-inflate the labor hours to everyone that called then I would have gotten it sooner. I had to go through several shops before I found one that did not listen to that BS quote.

as for turbo placement.....i dont know what is the problem there...my placement was never an issue...
Maybe not for you but it was in mine. I saw it myself. Not only that the manifold also had to be modified.

the toyomoto package includes everything you need...hermosa asked for parts not to be included to cut the cost down.......including the intercooler and piping......Lance tried to work with him to make him as happy as possible.....obvioulsy it didnt work....
If he really tried to make me happy he should have provided the packing list of all parts needed like I asked several times. ThenI could see what was really missing. Since you mention this several times I will reiterate that he kept me in the dark. I was not trying to keep the cost down really. I just wanted better components. You try and make it seem like I wanted a stripped down kit over and over again. The only difference is the intercooler SC300TURBO. The ONLY difference is the intercooler SC300TURBO and I bought a better one.

[B]
as for the claims of the stage 2 kit...i spent well over 12k getting mine done and i safely made 440 rwhp all day every day on pump gas ...on race gas the car made even more power.....and i was totaly happy with every aspect of the kit.......Scott Hureau-sc300t computerwiz-stephen both can attest to the completness of the kit and quality......[/b
Good for you. You are local and can get support. Anyone else here can not. Remember that in reality my turbo kit is costing me closer to $17K.

sorry if your not happy hermosa....but you have asked for certian things......and got what you asked for.....you wanted to save cash by cutting out parts....but then complain about not having all the parts.......i dont know what to tell you.....i also spent alot of my time trying to help out and do what i could to make you happy....guess it was a waste of my time.....
Jeff
The only difference is the intercooler SC300TURBO. The only difference is the intercooler SC300TURBO. The only difference is the intercooler SC300TURBO.

Got what I asked for? The only thing they did right is not include the intercooler so I could put my own on?

Did they ever answer all my questions? No.

Did they get the product in on time? No. It was 4 months late.

The more you try and defend them Jeff the worse they look. For their sake don't continue.
Old 01-09-03, 11:35 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Now for some real information and also back to the topic. I will post pics of the car in progress. I have the pics at my work e-mail so I will post them soon.
Old 01-09-03, 11:44 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Important note to prospective Toyomoto headgasket users. The stock headgasket is torqued down to 65 ft lbs. The Toyomoto headgasket is torqued down to 70 ft lbs. It doesn't sound like much difference but it is important.
Old 01-09-03, 12:21 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

oh boy..ok ..i know nothing.,....your right...the order was placed through a company...then changed to your house.....
im not going here agian..this was already discussed...you know why it was late.....
the employee changes caused a mes sup too from toyomoto....and thats where alot of miscommunication occured.....

as for cost...im not gonna sit here and nickle and dime with you...

the reason toyomoto OVERESTIMATES the install....is because he cant tell what other shops can do and how long it will take them...so instead of underestimating...he would rather over estimate......im sorry that a lil bit needed to be trimmed on the manifold......sorry that your not happy......i tried my *** off to help you...free of any charge....just trying to be anice guy....so take ur intercooler ....and enjoy it.....

and are you done with the tools yet?..lance would like to have them back....since you needed the parts "by the weekend" and its now Jan......
you know you got 440cc injectors because of a MAF and not using a VPC right?.....you can put 720s if ya want but controlling them is the issue......never mind...
i dont know anything so ill shut up...justt send the tools back please.....
and the valve body is only for autos and costs about $250...from what i recall

Jeff

Last edited by SC300TURBO; 01-09-03 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 12:47 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I have to jump in on this one. Hermosa, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with Toyomoto. I got my kit from them, and I wasn't local...I lived in NC. I drove 15 hours to get my kit from Lance personally. I saw the work he puts into doing things. From afar you can't see what actually goes on there.

Sure I agree that they're sometimes hard to get in touch with. That's because he HAS the best stuff, and everyone is ALWAYS calling him. I didn't pay for install on the kit, I did it myself. And you know what? Lance still provided me with a LOT of phone support. And when I went down to Miami with a problem on the car (turned out to be ignition problem on my end), he did troubleshooting on it...for free.

I can't complain about anything. I did have a small fitment problem with the turbo, it was pushing on the intake hose. That would have been resolved by using a spacer on the turbo mount....or by using the turbo Lance SAID I should have used.

And as for those tools, he let me borrow them. And I promptly sent them back.

Overall, I'm VERY VERY happy with my purchase. With nothing other than the stage 1.5 kit...I pushed 410hp at the wheels. That was with a sidemount.

Lastly....I benefit none from this. I don't even OWN a Lexus anymore. I haven't posted here in months I think. But I had to say what needed to be said.

SR
Old 01-09-03, 01:07 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

We all know the order was late because they did not work on it for the first few months. I ordered it in June and they did not try to ship it until November. If they had shipped it on time it would not have been a problem but they were already delinquent.

Please do not post further here unless you have input on the install. Keep this to PMs. I have this post here for information regarding the turbo. I am trying to be objective here and want folks to have all the information.

Perhaps Toyomoto does treat some people like a true customer but that was not the case for me. I am merely stating facts about my install.

End that portion of the thread here. Please PM me instead.

Let us not cloud over the real information on the post.
Old 01-09-03, 01:10 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Here is where the manifold had to be modified. A carbide bit was used to shave off a little of the edge to fit.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-09-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 01:12 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

A pic of the turbo mounted. It's starting to come together.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-09-03 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 01:17 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

The downpipe is installed but the midpipe is not yet. The downpipe and midpipe are well made and mandrel bent. A pic will come later when I show the entire exhaust from the underbody.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-09-03 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project