Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 01:22 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hermosa
Please do not post further here unless you have input on the install. Keep this to PMs. I have this post here for information regarding the turbo. I am trying to be objective here and want folks to have all the information.

Perhaps Toyomoto does treat some people like a true customer but that was not the case for me. I am merely stating facts about my install.

As I was doing. I posted the experiences with my install. Seems not fair for you to post all the bad experiences with your install, but then saying everyone else should keep opposite opinions to PM's.

I was overall very happy with the turbo equipment, it was VERY high quality. That's very odd that you had to shave some off the manifold, mine fit perfect. Is your engine not the factory one or something? Just taking a shot in the dark.

SR
Old 01-09-03, 01:36 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

As I was doing. I posted the experiences with my install. Seems not fair for you to post all the bad experiences with your install, but then saying everyone else should keep opposite opinions to PM's.

I was overall very happy with the turbo equipment, it was VERY high quality. That's very odd that you had to shave some off the manifold, mine fit perfect. Is your engine not the factory one or something? Just taking a shot in the dark.

SR
I am sure you are happy as much as I know I will be once it gets put together. I only stated that the kit does not produce what it is supposed to in power and then people got all offensive. I was simply stating a fact. Let's just keep this to PMs folks.

The engine is factory. The SCs seem standard but there are differences even in a single model year. For example things like torque converters I guess change often in our cars and there are several different ones. I guess maybe other parts change as well? Regardless I think that the slight modification should not weaken the manifold. Well I hope.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-10-03 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 06:26 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

The person that is parting out my car took my turbo kit, installed it on their car in a stage 1 setup, and got 350 at the wheels with *zero* tuning and factory injectors. He's here on CL if he decides to post in this thread too...

350 for a stage 1 setup isn't bad, and I got 410 on stage 1.5 with no tuning...

SR
Old 01-09-03, 07:39 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

CWIZ is that the same setup that I listed in the first post? If so I feel a little better. What was the wastegate set at?
Old 01-09-03, 10:41 PM
gavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the one that is parting out wiz's car. I actually got 363 rwhp by just bolting on the kit. I did it in my garage, on 4 jack stands and a lot of 11mm sockets (took about 3 days to install the actual turbo, but i did the clutch at the same time so it slowed me down). I am very happy with the kit, it was easy to install and appears to be easy to tune. I was using the standard 330cc injectors in the car to get to the 363, but I plan on upgrading those to 650cc injectors to get up to the 450 range.

Ill tell you this though...drilling into a perfectly good block is scary as hell. The manifold fits real tight...but it does fit...you just have to get it lined up perfectly.

I only read the last post...and thought I would chime in incase you need any help. If you want help with tuning though...ask someone else

gavin
Old 01-09-03, 10:56 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Hermosa,
It would be premature to speculate on what hp levels to expect out of your setup... You are complaining even before you get the chance to put it on the dyno... What gives? Other Toyomoto customers are pleasantly surprised at the HP level they got. He is typically conservative with numbers... Said I'd be at 360 at stage 1.5, made it to 423rwhp with the addition of a boost controller and MSD ignition box. I'm confident that without the MSD box and staying at 9psi, it would have been around 360 as quoted. I also feel that you've been unfair to some on the board about your experiences with Toyomoto, especially when you read the board in advance and knew that Lance worded VERY slowly, which seems be your main gripe. Most on this board already knows in advance that 1. Lance works slowly. 2. Lance doesn't answer the phone much. 3. Lance makes an extremely good product. 4. Lance knows his stuff backward and forward. 5. Lance is the type of guy you want on the other end of the phone when you have a question about the install.

With this in mind, why the heck would you bash him on a constant basis even before you get this installed? It just doesn't seem to me like the most intelligent way to get things resolved.

On a dollar for dollar basis, the $6600 that I spent with Toyomoto was the best money I've spent on a car. It took awhile, but was worth it many times over. In fact, when it comes time to replace our GS400, we'll be sending a GS300 down to Lance for a nice stage 1.5ish kit with a Haltech ECU. We'll have him tune it, and I have every confidence that it will have oem like reliability.

P.S... I have no idea why your manifold would not fit. Perhaps you've had your water pump replaced by a non-OEM part? That port that goes from the pump to the head has ample clearance on mine. Perhaps the pump was replaced and that port was not seated correctly?
Old 01-10-03, 12:43 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

It sounds like bashing when I have to explain over and over again what the situation was but in reality if people understood and listened to what happened instead of speculating then I would not have to repeat myself. I think that I post something that is objective and factual then some people simply revert back to the previous post where I aired my complaints and the shortcomings of a certain company instead of looking at it with a clean slate. One may still read things into statements that are not truly meant to be. For example, when I mentioned that the manifold had to be modified this was simply a fact and informs people that some SCs may not match up perfectly and that a slight modification will be needed. I even attached a photo of what was done and said what was needed. That way they can know ahead of time certain things need to be done and not panic.

I certainly hope I get more HP than I projected.

When you guys list the HP do you guys mind telling me the PSI? It would be very helpful especially when determining if the tuning is being done proper.

The car is supposed to be done Wednesday but who knows.

Thanks for your input guys on the tuning and keep it coming.

Front mount intercooler is going in soon.
Old 01-10-03, 10:43 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
CWIZ is that the same setup that I listed in the first post? If so I feel a little better. What was the wastegate set at?

Sorry I just noticed this post!

It had a T04E with 59 exhaust (small!), factory injectors, Gen3 Supra Turbo fuel pump, sidemount intercooler, 3" midpipe, deltagate at 6psi. The fuel pump I actually bought seperate.

SR
Old 01-10-03, 11:02 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thanks CWIZ,

I am starting to feel better about this.
Old 01-10-03, 01:48 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Hermosa,have you checked out this dyi ecu yet?
Do a search for "megasquirt".
I might get one to eventually put on something.
Old 01-10-03, 03:26 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The only problem I see with that is lack of timing and lack of rev-limit control. Once you put cams and do headwork, you need to spin to 7500-8000rpm to get the most out of the 2JZ. Titan spins theirs to 10k? The AEM and other true standalones is the only way around this hurdle. The turbo maps all say that I can get another 50-75rwhp by just raising the rev limit on my existing setup (combined with cams and headwork).
Old 01-10-03, 06:44 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I would use *only* an AEM for the standalone. Or the Haltech E6K, but I would still go AEM.

SR
Old 01-10-03, 09:54 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Ran into a snag. The midpipe is not an exact fit. A lot of pressure is need to push it in place and there is a gap between the midpipe and the section where the two resonators start.

What do you guys recommend from the midpipe back? I would like to have that finely tuned sound and not loud or ricey. I would also like to keep it all 3". I do like the sound of a new M3. I do not like the sound of trucks and American cars.

So I am contemplating resonators and then a straight through glasspack with silencers. Any input fellows?
Old 01-10-03, 10:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Okay I was thinking of this for exhaust.

One of these after the midpipe

Y-Pipe 3" Dual 3" Single

A couple of 3" resonators.

And finally two of these.

3" Inlet, 4" Diam. Tip
Double Wall
Angle Cut 7" Length
Old 01-11-03, 02:05 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Are you planning on keeping the cats? If so, the JIC-Magic exhaust may be just what you're looking for. All stainless, not sure if it's 3" or not, but it's close. Straight through resonators and straight through mufflers, with a 4" tip (not angled). They're cool because they completely fill the exhaust opening in the rear skirt! When you wind it up it sounds like a Porsche, not at all American or Japanese. Steve Ganz carries them now. I've had my set for a couple of weeks and really like them.

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project