Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-03, 03:12 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by wmulli
Are you planning on keeping the cats? If so, the JIC-Magic exhaust may be just what you're looking for. All stainless, not sure if it's 3" or not, but it's close. Straight through resonators and straight through mufflers, with a 4" tip (not angled). They're cool because they completely fill the exhaust opening in the rear skirt! When you wind it up it sounds like a Porsche, not at all American or Japanese. Steve Ganz carries them now. I've had my set for a couple of weeks and really like them.
How much is the exhaust system? Any links or pics?
Old 01-11-03, 01:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Pretty much trial and error with the exhaust note,should be pretty cool though,since the turbos will help to keep the boom/rumble out of the huge piping at the lower revs.
That ecu may come along here soon and become something pretty useable,as for the ignition,isn't there already separate systems made be MSD that would do what you want?
Old 01-11-03, 11:05 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
The midpipe is not an exact fit. A lot of pressure is need to push it in place and there is a gap between the midpipe and the section where the two resonators start.

I had that *exact* same problem. I just pushed hard with my foot and it worked. As for exhaust, I have a complete custom setup made. 3" all the way from the turbo, 2.5" from the split on. DynoMax super turbo mufflers. No cats, no silencers. Gave it a NICE throaty sound, no rice at all. Sounded more like a chevy 350 than anything else.

SR

Old 01-11-03, 11:32 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Hermosa How much is the exhaust system? Any links or pics?
It's a JDM system. I have some pics of it, in my camera, but I have to get the film processed before I can post 'em. (I know, I know, get with the times... ) In the meantime, here's the link - JIC-Magic Bullit 505 List price is $980, but Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota can get you a better price than that.
Old 01-12-03, 04:12 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

CWIZ that last post you made was very, very helpful. Thank you very much. If that is how it is supposed to be then I will simply force it to mate with the stock setup for now and then really think about the exhuast. Chevy 350 exhaust note may be too loud for me. Any droning and resonating in the cabin?
Old 01-12-03, 08:41 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hermosa..youll be fine with a custom exahust and save alot of cash.....
do a 3in splitter in to 2 2 1/2 pipes...i would reccommend 2 resonators on the exahust sections to keep it a little quieter.....and then the 2 2 1/2 mufflers just like you showed pictures of...that will work perfect and be very nice sounding....NOTHING like a truck or civic..i promise...but you need to get rid of that stock stuff....thats is not good for turbo at all....Jeff

PS nice avatar steve.......looks like a proud new NSX owner
Old 01-13-03, 12:57 AM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

ooOOOooOOooo, i just saw that also. NSX, not bad at all. Nice find wiz.
Old 01-13-03, 10:42 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

get rid of that stock stuff....thats is not good for turbo at all....Jeff
Not good at all.... just 423rwhp Just razzin ya Jeff... There is quite a bit more up top without the flow restrictions in the stock setup. I can't say HP wise, but at the track, the car made at least 3-4mph better through the trap by pulling the exhaust from midpipe back. I don't think the dyno guys would appreciate an open pipe in their shop.

Clint did a custom setup using inexpensive Summit straight through mufflers. Instead of resonators in front of the mufflers, he just did four mufflers, two in-line in each branch. The Summit ones are offset and oval, with a 3" inlet, and outlet.

Funny thing, the midpipe I got fit PERFECTLY.....

Last edited by SC300T; 01-13-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-13-03, 11:35 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

every car is a little different.....the stock exahust is restrictive.....putting an aftermarket will definitly help alot.....

dont make me come up there scott
hows the MRS and the GS and the head project comming along?
Old 01-13-03, 06:10 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Jeff...SC300Turbo

Hey Jeff...

I ran into Ice-T at a certain gentelman's club in San Francisco about 2 years back. (ahemm...Mitchell Brothers..aheme).

He was there w/one of his boys.

I was just sitting back for a bachelor party there and ran into him there. We saw how he and his buddy were trying to just get stuff from the girls for free.
A girl I know who works there...was telling us how he does that every so often. Almost like "pimp recruitment"

The SAD thing I saw was that one of the club's ushers was all on his nuts saying "hey..I got all your albums...and if you ever need anything...just let me know..I'll hook it up"

Ice...thought about it for a second..tossed his empty water bottle to the guy and said "Hey...throw this away for me"

Man..that was pretty embarassing for that usher.

BTW...nice car. =)

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 01-13-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 08:41 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by SC300T
The only problem I see with that is lack of timing and lack of rev-limit control. Once you put cams and do headwork, you need to spin to 7500-8000rpm to get the most out of the 2JZ. Titan spins theirs to 10k? The AEM and other true standalones is the only way around this hurdle. The turbo maps all say that I can get another 50-75rwhp by just raising the rev limit on my existing setup (combined with cams and headwork).
maybe i mis-read something when i was talking to Dan from ToyoMoto, but i thought that the only option for the 2JZ-GE (as far as cams go) was the GTE intake cam....because the exhaust cam wouldnt fit do to the coil pack? (that may be way off, its been awhile)

are there other cam options for the motor, besides a custom fab set?
Old 01-13-03, 10:40 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Hmmmm........

The ge has a distributor. The gte runs coil packs (distributorless ignition). Therefore, tt cam upgrades will not work; or they will work only on the intake side. But for turbo purposes the exhaust needs to breath. So to run cams in a ge one needs either to convert to packs or go with custom grinds.
Old 01-13-03, 11:27 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I am loving this thread. There is some good information being thrown around. Keep it up!

I think I will initially keep my exhaust and then get it redone when I get it dyno tuned again. The shop does not do exhaust so I have to do it later.

My only trouble right now is custom intercooler piping. If anyone has any connections to parts or someone who does the work real fast then I am all ears.
Old 01-14-03, 01:36 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default Turbo Exhaust article

Hermosa (and others), I found this discussion about exhaust on the LexusHP forum. I'm certainly no expert, but this guy sounds (to me at least), like he knows his stuff. It's a good read if you're considering a custom exhaust:Turbo Exhaust Discussion
Old 01-14-03, 10:48 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

LexusBoi,
You are correct, no one makes the set for the GE. You can send them in to Crower to be re-ground, though. I did it to mine, and I believe Ethan has them in his vehicle. Its not very expensive. The profile I got was 270/268, with pretty good lift near the specs of the HKS 272 cams. I think Ethan has the same thing. Only drawback is that you have to install lash caps over the valve stems. It also changes the requirement for your valve adjustment shims, and may cost a bit to have these shims special ordered from the dealer. I thought I remember Ethan doing custom shims to eliminate the lash caps, not sure though.

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project