Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 12:41 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lex, are you ruling out Sound Performance and PHR? Larry knows his stuff as well, and PHR has a decent rep as well. Oh, about Swift... They're renowned for turbos.....all those trophies in the case, all the magazine writeups, all the satisfied people on the boards...
Old 01-22-03, 12:56 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Nope, not ruling out SP or PHR, but i'd rather not send the car to Chitown or TX. Paisley is willing to do a custom setup for me, to my specs and with my parts, so i'm thinking of using the SP modified HKS header, what is it about $1600 with a GT 'gate and a shorty dp? Your input would be appreciated Scott. Did anyone notice that the reciprocating assy on the VVT-i motors is different? Should work out though, that Poopra that Lance did ran into the nines with a VVT-i motor. Mike, don't mean to hijack, hopefully everyone can benefit from the discussion. So Scott, tell us tales of flowbench magic, what's up w/ the project?
Old 01-22-03, 01:13 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

This is good. It is about time we bring back a good tuning discussion on the SC boards.

I think I asked before but what are you guys making in power on the following boost levels:

6PSI
8PSI
10PSI
15PSI
18PSI

Any other PSIs would be good too.

BTW did you guys take it real easy on the vehicle for the first thousand miles?
Old 01-22-03, 01:21 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Update on LS400 MAF

I went to Lexus and got quoted $950 for the connector.:eek:

Well I will hit the junkyard next week but until then I bought some hardware at Radio Shack and will fashiona connector built from metal sleeves, wire holders and then use silicone sealant to keep it together. That is until I find a good pick a part place. I can visit the Sactown folks while I am there.

I am looking to pick up the car Friday.
Old 01-22-03, 09:39 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry my spelling isnt so great when i type fast...but thanks for reminding me daddy...lol......
as for the manifold...not a secret...and i dont think he is "replacing" the old manifold....just adding another option..and hasnt told alot of people about it yet
as for the other shops...i trust SP, and PHR the others ill stay quiet on...but toyomoto has a vvti motor...auto.....in the 9s...and the question is?........do you want experience on the motor you got...or a supra guy working on a lexus do what you like....but the DR. is Lance and i think you know this Lex....plus you have me to give you updates and watch over your car...lol..if there is any questions ill be happy to help out....
and for my training...its a red cross public relations class.....no brain surgery for me.....

i do believe that SRT said they could make as much power as they wanted with an SC.....they didnt need no stinkin turbo........but now everything is TURBO TURBO TURBO......funny how you can eat your own words so bad....lol
Old 01-22-03, 10:53 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

plus you have me to give you updates and watch over your car...lol
Sorta like the mouse guarding the cheese, eh Jeff?

Lex, the project is starting back up. I've had a bunch of stuff going on and really didn't do anything to the car last summer and fall, just started working on it a little. Wife is prego, so now there is a "push" to get it back together before March. I got that headgasket, head studs, never put them on. Thought was that keeping the existing turbo meant that it would run better at 10:1 than at 8.5:1. Bigger turbos can take advantage of the low compression but small ones cannot, IMO. T66+ is meant for low compression if you ask me. I'm gonna get it running possibly with an AEM then send it to Larry for a few weeks for the other upgrades that I chickened out on. I just don't feel confident that I can get it sorted out with all thats changed -(cams, big fuel injectors, etc.) Not even 100% sure that the car will run worth a damn with the stock ECU and the big cams, etc. There are just too many unknowns and variables to sort through, and thought I'd better get it running again and have an expert sort through them.

Hermosa,
As far as boost levels:
I've just got a few numbers on pump gas:

6psi N/A
8psi N/A
10psi 378rwhp
14psi 423rwhp*
18psi (116 octane - best guess 520rwhp)

Bear in mind that I didn't get these numbers with just the stock kit, but did get them with stock mufflers and stock cat-back.

The way the stock ECU advances timing, you can only do around 10psi max through about 5500rpm, you can raise boost above 5500rpm, though. I used an Apexi AVC-R to raise boost in the 5500-6500rpm area to get these numbers. If I had a std boost controller with one set boost level, I'd probably only make it to that 378 number because 14psi is not possible with stock compression at 4000rpm unless you have a lot of control over the timing. The MSD 6BTM ignition retard module helped me out big time, and was not in place when I did the dyno, so my current numbers on the stock turbo kit will be way up when I ever get it tuned. Also, I didn't have any time to tune anything when I did the dyno runs, and it was running pig rich, not near optimum. I'm confident I could hit very close to 500rwhp on pump gas and stock compression with this turbo, though. Timing and Fuel control are the keys to getting the most out of stock compression.
Old 01-22-03, 12:51 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
<... snip! ...> if there is any questions ill be happy to help out....
<... snip! ...>
Jeff, I sent you a PM asking about removing the rev limiter. Still curious... Also, you list HKS 264 cams for your SC. Are they in a GE motor?!?!?
Thanks for any info!
Old 01-22-03, 02:48 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff has a TT head. No distributor gear, so yes they're 264 HKS.
Old 01-22-03, 04:10 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i do not have a TT head...i have a GE head with no distributor.....and i have coil packs and 264 cams.....
im sorry i didnt read the PM...ill look now...Jeff
Old 01-23-03, 01:12 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
sorry my spelling isnt so great when i type fast...but thanks for reminding me daddy...lol......
as for the manifold...not a secret...and i dont think he is "replacing" the old manifold....just adding another option..and hasnt told alot of people about it yet
My understanding is that the foundry is busting Lance's b@lls re: continuing to produce the cast iron log-style unit, they want him to order something like 10k pieces, not reasonable, therefore the switch to the equal-length style. I'm curious how the change in manifolds will affect your peak power and curve, i've actually been very surprised that the log style has produced such nice torque numbers, that style of manifold is not traditionally strong in the low end, but spools nice of course because there's so little real estate the exhaust pulses have to travel through before being scavenged into the exhaust. Keep me updated brother. And Deb says she loves it when you call me daddy....

[i] ...but toyomoto has a vvti motor...auto.....in the 9s...[/B]
Hard to argue with that, built nice with one of Lance's short blocks.

[i]
....plus you have me to give you updates and watch over your car...lol..if there is any questions ill be happy to help out.... [/B]
Thx for the offer, guard that cheese baby, hehe, Scott wields a metaphor like a sword...

[i]
...its a red cross public relations class.....no brain surgery for me..... [/B]
Funny, I always thought pubic relations was one of your strong suits...

[i]
i do believe that SRT said they could make as much power as they wanted with an SC.....they didnt need no stinkin turbo........but now everything is TURBO TURBO TURBO......funny how you can eat your own words so bad....lol [/B]
I have to admit that you did predict that Chowdhurry would be eating crow, now you have the satisfaction of knowing you were right all along, better late than never I guess.

- Jon

Oh, and wmulli, once the distributor is out, you can use the HKS cams in a GE head, if i'm wrong then SC300TURBO can hog tie me and shave my noggin'...

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 01-23-03 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-23-03, 10:01 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

well my noggin is already shaved so i better shave yours to match...it helps with aerodynamics...lol...

as for MO.....i knew along time ago he was full of it......not alot of people believed me.....its nice to see yourself proved right...lol...and i have heard his turbo kit really looks like crap.....but shh...he might try to sue me....like he done to many other people

the old manifold is a champ..allways has been and allways will be.....hopefully ill be doing a comparison from the old to the new.....but we will see....
as for daddy....i think im yours for now
as for public relations......im a spokesperson for the fire dept...so my job right now...(besides being a fireman/paramedic) is talking on camera to the media......and getting info out about the fire dept......so i guess in your eyes im doing the right thing

about the cams...once the distributor is off you can use the cams but you need an aftermarket ECU and crank angle sensor and coil packs.......so .....since your answer wasnt complete i get to tie up your hands and give you a mohawk.....lol......PUNK ROCKER....lol
Old 01-23-03, 10:54 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff, I knew you had a GE head, are U calling me a liar???!!!??
You'll be pleased to know it was -2 this morning in Cinci... Miami is lookin' mighty fine now.
Old 01-23-03, 11:14 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

im confused scott.....what was this comment for then??

"Jeff has a TT head. No distributor gear, so yes they're 264 HKS."

umm..TT means GTE to me....?..

anyway......Miami FL....today its a high of 72 love of 62 and BEAUTIFUL clear skies ...man i love miami......have i mentioned that before......that i drive my turbo lexus year round.... Jeff
Old 01-23-03, 11:27 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Must have been a brain fart.
Old 01-23-03, 11:37 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

you need to eat more cheese...lol

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project