Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Install Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 11:08 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You use the electronics from your maf unit this mod is done by the mkiii supra guys all the time [i should know i had one ] .
Unscrew the 3 screws and install the piece in the bigger maf piece
any other ? drop a pm .
Old 01-25-03, 06:04 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you swap out the MAF housing and increase the airflow without any other changes,you'll be leaner than you were before;the maf is calibrated for the venturi(opening)in that particular unit.
So unless you know for certain that you need to be leaner,or have an afc,you should use great caution.

You gotta radius the sharp edges in the intake of the MAF though,makes a nice difference by smoothing out the power curve.(no flat spots)
Old 01-25-03, 10:58 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

The SC300 piece is not swappable and does not fit the LS400 maf like the older Supras. If I did swap the meter then yes there would be air not accounted for since the diameter is larger. That is where the larger injectors come in to let more fuel in than the stocks. The idle of the car is still kind of rough right now.
Old 01-26-03, 01:31 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by awj

Not really. I'm flying out and back today for about 4 bones including hotel stay overnight. But that is just one night. I'm not so sure my deal is going to work out. I'm trying to figure out why someone would use a ct26 on a ge and if the manifold can be used with t4 flange turbos. Kind of a let down.

I meant $1200+ to truck the whip from NY to Miami and back, but what do you mean about the ct26?
Old 01-26-03, 04:36 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
No, but the Crower regrinds will, right? Ethan, how are is the Crower 268/270 combo doing? I think I got the same cams as you, but haven't got it the car back together yet to test them out.
The cams are fine... Apparently shimming the head with these cams is a major PITA. I drove the car a bit last month, and with my combo (SP88, 1700cc injectors, larger intake manifold, fully ported head, and the cams) it idles fine, but needed to be bumped up to 1100-1200... It idles smooth as stock, just a bit higher, and honestly the reason for the higher idle is more the injectors than the cams I think.

I have some final dyno time scheduled this coming Saturday, so assuming we don't blow the car up, hopefully I will have some good results to share with you all soon.

-Ethan
Old 01-26-03, 05:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I was just thinking out loud there lex. I heard a rumor that the car I was looking at had a ct26 on it. I just got through the door from the marathon trip and test. It is a T04B. The car in all it's black majesty is sweet as pie. Well taken car of by a true enthusiast with a collection and storage facilities normal guys dream of. I took pics but left the stinkin camera in the car. I'll post some pics when the car comes back with my camera. Anyone recommend a good car shipping service?

Props to the Miami-Dadeland. Some sweet rides in those parts. From chopped chevy vans to Aston Martin Vantage even a vintage Rolls Royce Phantom 5 - plenty to feast the eyes on. Took a few boost pulls down Doral and back with traffic just kind of blurring past. Took it up on the expressway too but kept things fairly legal - I like how traffic goes from being right next to you........... to... wooaa .......... way back there.

Hang in there hermosa. I took a picure of the maf as it is installed on this car - but alas, it is still in Miami for now, d'oh. I'm surprised that is all that was forgotten - aside from nearly missing my plane out this morning.

aj
Old 01-26-03, 06:53 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Hey, awj, you weren't the guy with the deposit on Bill Ogden's old whip, were you? Black '95 5spd Toyomoto? Probably not, but if so, I tried to get a hold of that one, very nice guy with a very nice stable of automobiles....

And yeah, Miami is loaded with nice rides and long legs, luv it down there. Eth, good luck on Sat, i'm sure all the cheese invested, not to mention blood and sweat, will finally pay off, four-figure horsepower is days away brother . Gotta love 1700cc squirters and still having a cold-start map....do you happen to know what Lar charges for the SP header w/ shorty dp and GT 'gate? Just need a general ballpark. Hermosa, have you spoken to Lance re: the MAF? What's the latest?
Old 01-26-03, 10:00 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

The manifold, GT Wastegate, Downpipe, and high temp ceramic coating on it all usually goes for $2500 if you tell him I sent ya, I think $2700 otherwise.

-Ethan
Old 01-27-03, 01:00 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Thx Eth...
Old 01-27-03, 01:12 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300TURBO

Lex...just take a drive down...and drive the car back home...i promise the drive home will be alot more fun killing vettes...porsches...and vipers on the way home
How long would we need to be down there for?
Old 01-27-03, 11:39 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Okay the car is very hard to get a smooth idle with the SC300MAF and the car won't start at all with the LS400 MAF. What are the functions of each of the five wires by color code for the SC300 MAF?
Old 01-27-03, 11:51 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hermosa,

Forgive me if I missed you stating this along the way. Why doesn't your mechanic know? Are you doing this on your own? Have you tried to get help from whoever sent you the maf? Seems like you are near detonation on your engine. I would look for someone with experience to tune it if the shop you have cannot get the car to idle. I would hate to see you fry something after all the hours you put into your car.

MW
Old 01-28-03, 10:26 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

what yr is your car?.....hermosa
Old 01-28-03, 12:37 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

1996 with unkown year LS400 MAF.
Old 01-28-03, 03:08 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Hermosa, where are your air/fuel ratios... Is it rich? lean? Idle performance should just be a matter of getting the a/f close. Also, where are your air/fuel ratios during normal closed loop driving?

Quick Reply: Turbo Install Project