Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

my car just cut off while driving, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03 | 03:09 PM
SCarman
Driver School Candidate

my sc 300,94, did the exact same thing,i replaced the fuel ecu and that didnt cure the problem,problem came back one day later.sometimes the car would run 5 minutes up to about an hour,then just die like the fuel pump was cut,then would maybe not even start at all. I found a place that rebuilds ecu(the main ecu) for 150.$ with 6 month warranty and never had a problem again and they did it in 1 day,and they picked it up delivred it back at no extra charge,enough said! also i have 2 extra fuel ecu from the junk yard in case you need one,they work perfect as long as the main ecu is telling the correct voltage to send to fuel pump,---my original problem,good luck!
Old 01-29-03 | 03:45 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

My car did this ONCE a while back while I was idling at a stop light. I turned the car off and restarted it and everything was fine. What could the problem have been in my case?
Old 01-31-03 | 04:36 AM
jamrocker4ever
Driver School Candidate

Question yes what happened?

Well I am sorta relieved to know I am not the only one that has had this problem.. I was idling at a light a few days ago .. it cut off.. I started it right back up.... that sunday i took off the battery for a few minutes, put it back on reset all my preset stuff and it hasnt happened since (knock on wood) now i wonder why?????
Old 01-31-03 | 02:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

well, I am sorry to say that but I don't think you have solved the problem. It is just because your car has begun to have this problem.... in my case, the car stalled the first time 4 months ago, and the second time was 2 month after the first one.. and it happened more and more often.... I have tried everything but just can't resolve it .... I even took it to a mechanic but they can not scan our car due to the ECU in our car... the only way to figure it out is to take it to a dealer..... I have not have a chance to do so...is you could find out the problem....please let me know, so I could come up a way to fix it( I have a mechanic friend who could repair everything!)
Old 01-31-03 | 02:54 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Does the idle hover around 500RPM and get intermittent before shutting off?
Old 02-02-03 | 07:11 AM
stocksc300
Driver

its been more than a week now since i fix the fuse.the car ran fine (not cutting off anymore). why dont you guys try what i did. its just another way to see whats the problem might be. good luck guys
Attached Thumbnails my car just cut off while driving, need help-lake-pix-012.jpg  

Last edited by stocksc300; 02-02-03 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-02-03 | 11:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

sadly, I have tried, not once, but 3 times already but the car still chut off once after I checked everything...... maybe I am just not as lucky as you....
Old 02-12-03 | 07:46 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Round & Round we go;

The fuel pump ECU is a known failure condition, if you follow the diagnostic procedure below and your stalling/starting fault goes away you most probably have a faulty fuel ECU. If your fault re-occurs while you have perm 12v feed to the fuel pump then your issue lies somewhere else, such as the electrics, fuel pump or main ECU.

"The fuel pump can be forced to operate in the high voltage setting by placing a jumper in the engine diagnostics connector between FP and +B terminals (for location of terminals see the label inside the diagnostics connector cover)"

See my site for more info.
Old 02-12-03 | 09:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Round & Round we go;
ha ha

LOL
Old 03-03-03 | 10:22 PM
qmtran
Driver

Default my car just cut off while driving, need help

hey guys, i've been having the same problems, driving and as i let it idle, it dies on me. so i took it to the dealers and let them check it out for a 100 bucks. what they told me was that the throttle position sensor or tsp is faulty and needs to be replaced. price for the part is round 100 bucks and they are charging 200 for install. haha.....being broke...i have yet to do this repair....bad i know. anyone know how to do this??? help me out please. ;]
Old 03-04-03 | 04:05 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy great...

I am having the same prob too.. 92 sc300 5sp w/ 109k
i suspected it had something to do with the afm..
when it dies out/ doesent start.. i wiggle the afm connector.. and that worked a couple times..
today it happened like 5 times in a row.. it just idle for about a second and die.. i just couldnt get it to start.. and i unplugged the afm connector, and the EFI fuse from under the hood, chilled for about 10 min.. plugged it back in and it got me 2 blocks back to work...

im thinking of just buying the stupid manuals..

can the computer be reset by just removing the EFI fuse under the hood?? i unplugged that for about 10 min too.. i dont know if the computer got reset though

if anyone has PERMANENTLY resolved this issue please post updates!! thanks!
Old 03-04-03 | 08:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

dang that's a lot of cars. whoever figures this out might make a little cash ....heh.

So far i havent had this problem myself. (knock on wood).
Old 03-04-03 | 08:39 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Edit: Profanity is not allowed on CL...read the rules

Last edited by pcmw; 03-04-03 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-04-03 | 10:09 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

WHOOPS!!! my bad Like i said before the TPS should not cost 200 to install. Here is the procedure for cleaning it and putting it back in. Should not take longer than 20min. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=2
Old 03-07-03 | 07:18 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Has anyone tried installing the Fuel ECU diagnostic jumper, or am I just wasting my breath?

Quick Reply: my car just cut off while driving, need help