Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replaced Cam+ Crank seals and still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 06:40 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced Cam+ Crank seals and still leaking

Hey guys, so after i ran over a tire i had my car in the air and noticed my undercarriage covered in oil and a steady stream from behind the crank pulley so we replaced the seals in there real quick and cleaned everything off and sure enough right now i got another fresh leak in my driveway.

Anyone know what else behind the crank pulley could leak? Kinda weird
Old 04-12-13, 07:07 PM
chiken
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC400? Engine oil for sure? could be the cooling fan pump?
Old 04-12-13, 07:34 PM
sj408
Instructor

No, im sorry i guess i should elaborate. I have a built 2j with a t67 single. It seems to be leaking from right behind the crank pulley again.
Old 04-12-13, 08:01 PM
chiken
Rookie

stick or auto? check for crank walk. get a prybar and try to move the crank pulley forward and back. You should get almost no walk,if you do have play it may be bad news. I have seen a few 2JZ's walk. Even at very low mileage.
Old 04-12-13, 08:47 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sj408
No, im sorry i guess i should elaborate. I have a built 2j with a t67 single. It seems to be leaking from right behind the crank pulley again.
How much boost? Catch can? stick or auto? using OE Front main or aftermarket
Old 04-13-13, 05:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when you replaced the front main the first time , what method or tool did you use to remove the old seal . if pryed out with a screw driver , were you very careful as to not score the inside of pump housing where seal sits against .

when you inserted the new seal did you use a piece of pvc piping the exact size of the outer most edge of seal and gently tap in squarely , and did you sit the seal flush with the lip of pump or recessed inwards for if sitting to far in , it can leak again
Old 04-13-13, 09:18 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
How much boost? Catch can? stick or auto? using OE Front main or aftermarket
bout 13psi, No catch can, pcv on drivers side vents normally back into intake and i just have a breather filter on the exhaust side.
Automatic, Aftermarket front main by NOK, Lasted 10k miles before showing any issue. Now still leaking after a fresh one

Originally Posted by lexforlife
when you replaced the front main the first time , what method or tool did you use to remove the old seal . if pryed out with a screw driver , were you very careful as to not score the inside of pump housing where seal sits against .

when you inserted the new seal did you use a piece of pvc piping the exact size of the outer most edge of seal and gently tap in squarely , and did you sit the seal flush with the lip of pump or recessed inwards for if sitting to far in , it can leak again
A very reputable local machine shop assembled the engine for me, I had never assembled a 2j before so i figured it was best to leave it up to guys who had the equipment to assemble my engine precisely rather than me just bolting it all together.

I had my buddy put in the seal for me, i came home right when he was done and the seal looked perfectly flush with the outer lip it slide into. Is that not far enough in or? i didnt even think about checking.