Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question concerning the 1uz power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 08:55 AM
SC4Stella
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question concerning the 1uz power

Alright guys, i wanna know what o can do to pull add much power out of my 1uz but keeping it na, no boost no nothing just natural power, how would i do this, i know about the bfi, and I'm going to do that, but what else can i do to get more horsepower.
Thanks for any suggestions
Old 04-19-13, 09:00 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1UZ is very pricy to mod and does not make much power even in stock form so very little in the way of gains with bolt ons.
Old 04-19-13, 09:54 AM
SC4Stella
Driver School Candidate

Alright, thanks for the reply, i guess the only real answer is an engine swap, and i can't really do that right now with the amount of money i have right now and college, thanks again
Old 04-19-13, 10:13 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1UZ is a great engine. I'm really tired of all the people throwing away such a great engine!

For the cost of a swap it would be much cheaper to get high horsepower out of a 1UZ.

You can get an ECU like a Unichip and advance timing and lean your A/F to gain about 20-30hp at the wheels. The car is tuned very conservatively from stock. Headers gain about 20hp at the wheels. ECU + Headers on 1UZ is known to gain 40hp at wheels.

The best bang for your buck is a centrifugal supercharger or nitrous.

Buy a used vortech or procharger for $800. Buy a lextreme supercharger bracket $300. For about $1500-$2000 you're going to have a nice supercharger setup.

A user KC95 on these forums got a 12 second flat 1/4 mile time with a simple setup such as this one. On a stock unopened block! There are people running 400hp-500hp on stock unopened 1UZ first gen motors.

Other than that the 1uz block can take a huge nitrous shot.

http://www.lextreme.com/supercharger-bracket.html

Edit: Oh I just re-read that you only want natural power. BFI, headers, exhaust, ECU tune, ported heads, cams, manual or shift kitted high stall auto. More extreme you can do 4.7L 2uz block swap with 1uz head. Why don't you like boost? Cheapest way to high horsepower is a vortech supercharger with fishbracket. You can even run it through stock maf and stock ecu. Centrifugals are good daily drivers too.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-19-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 10:14 AM
durps
Lead Lap

For good power deff a swap, for like a 13second car bfi, headers, exhaust, cams, and manual tranny. Oh and remove a little unnecessary weight.
Old 04-19-13, 12:02 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the 1uz and strongly considered it however parts and aftermarket support are the reason I went with a swap which will net double the hp had I thrown the same money at the 1uzfe so I have no ill feelings for the 1uz and it's prolly one of the most reliable engines ever made if not the most reliable but the power gains per dollar will very quickly trump that of a swap.

I have an intake,walbro 255,exhaust,shift kit,afpr big trans coolers and my car still will not pass 200whp on the dyno although it feels strong it is infact making less whp than most k series hondas.
Old 04-19-13, 01:34 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
I love the 1uz and strongly considered it however parts and aftermarket support are the reason I went with a swap which will net double the hp had I thrown the same money at the 1uzfe so I have no ill feelings for the 1uz and it's prolly one of the most reliable engines ever made if not the most reliable but the power gains per dollar will very quickly trump that of a swap.

I have an intake,walbro 255,exhaust,shift kit,afpr big trans coolers and my car still will not pass 200whp on the dyno although it feels strong it is infact making less whp than most k series hondas.
Yeah its a shame there is not more aftermarket support for the 1uz. There are people with turbo 1uz with stock internals running 400-500hp. The cost of a custom turbo manifold however is 1500-3000. It would be so sweet if there was a bolt on turbo manifold. The fish bracket is still bang for your buck the best 1uz power mod.

High horsepower N/a is very costly with the 1uz . Its a shame the tuner scene never "discovered" it. I feel the 1uz tuning scene is very under ground.. as if you have to scour the web for info and parts. 1j and 2j have a plethora of parts available.
Old 04-22-13, 06:36 AM
SC4Stella
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys i wasnt really expecting this much input, now i know you guys are saying to put all of these things on my car, but really its gonna be a slow process for me to do all this, and money is tight, and plus i live in the great state of CA which f%^&# over lots of cars, i kinda need to still keep it smog legal thats pretty much it, thanks for the input though, ill definitely look into an ecu, headers, and all of that others stuff.

Clean400: i definitely want boost i just dont know if it will pass the smog tests here :'(, but yeah thanks for the input.

Thanks again guys, and again tight on money, going to college, so this is gonna be a slow thing for me, i want natural horsepower first then work my way up, so its gonna be super slow for me, THANKS!!!
Old 04-22-13, 07:46 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

This is the third thread I seen where someone recommends new cams. I have searched and searched and have not found a venor who makes/sells higher lift or longer duration cams. I was just wondering what source is anyone using for a N/A cam setup?

supercharging might be the cheapest route though
Old 04-22-13, 10:22 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tundra bottom end+ manual and full bolt ons sounds fun...
Old 04-22-13, 10:50 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dream36
This is the third thread I seen where someone recommends new cams. I have searched and searched and have not found a venor who makes/sells higher lift or longer duration cams. I was just wondering what source is anyone using for a N/A cam setup?

supercharging might be the cheapest route though
I saw a set on horsepowerfreaks.com i believe. Or lextreme i forgot lol.
Old 04-22-13, 11:54 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Kelford Cams
Old 04-22-13, 01:42 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

To be honest new cams won't really help with the weight of the SC. Cams really make a difference in a 1uz in a light car. The problem is with changing the cams is that your going to lose low end torque... which is what makes the 1UZ in an SC fun. In a light car you can put in cams without feeling the loss of the low end torque.

I would only put cams in a boosted 1UZ. Or in a 1UZ swapped in a lighter car. With a stock SC the car will likely feel slower with newer cams.

What cams and ITBs can do to a 1uz in a light weight chassis.
Old 04-22-13, 07:04 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

one thing you can do to gain some top end power is make a new intake manifold; the factory one is known to choke power at around 5400 rpms. A new intake alone will see a rise in horsepower of approx. 20 whp. if you add headers, an exhaust, bfi, and a tune to that, you could see about 250 whp. add a manual to that, and not only will you wake up the motor, you'll put down more horsepower to the wheels. With a manual, whp would be closer to 280 horsepower.

ps. if you're considering cams, they won't add nearly what their intended hp is without a new intake manifold.

in the meantime, some inexpensive things you can do to raise the horsepower/performance would be: bfi (already mentioned), resonator delete/ custom ehxuast, cut the first speed sensor (this will make the transmission shift better for sportier driving), and of course maintenance to regain power lost over the years.

good luck with your car.
Old 04-22-13, 10:44 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but those numbers are just wrong.
Tested proven to add HP only BFI and Chip.
Exhaust gives lower than stock torque but higher frees the engine at high rpms. You decide.
Headers/extractors provide better sound :/
Sad but true.
Go manual and you'll be happier.
I think that you can set up a lean map to pass emissions on a turbo 1uz. Then switch to rich/safe mode

Quick Reply: question concerning the 1uz power