Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 10:51 AM
soflo99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody?? I'm in over $1,000 and I think it is something simple, like a melted wire...

anybody with ANY other ideas..
Old 05-13-13, 11:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you gotta trace the spark and see if the coil is even making a spark. is the wire clip on the ignitor firmly plugged in, on the coil, all the leads, sounds like you will have to check one by one if there is no spark at the cylinder you have to trace it all the way back to find the failure.
Old 05-13-13, 11:01 AM
soflo99
Driver

are there 2 crank sensors? is there 1 that splits? Maybe 1 wires is burnt?

What wires go TO the coil pack that is NEW but not FUNCTIONING...

Something that leads to the coil pack may be burnt, rendering it dead.

Please guys if you have any inkling or advice whatsoever, please let me know..

I'm going on 3 weeks without my car, replaced tons of stuff, and it is probably something simple, (saw fine column of white smoke when I popped my hood coming near the coil pack passenger side)

PLEEEAAAASSSEEEE

--thanks

(btw, I have been searching my *** off, no luck)
Old 05-13-13, 11:06 AM
soflo99
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you gotta trace the spark and see if the coil is even making a spark. is the wire clip on the ignitor firmly plugged in, on the coil, all the leads, sounds like you will have to check one by one if there is no spark at the cylinder you have to trace it all the way back to find the failure.
didn't see this before I made my last post...

the ignitor, what is that? I saw it on my driver side. with 2 clips... maybe one is bad? they are both plugged in . does the igniter go to the coil pack?

the car starts pretty quickly, idles ok too, not really low, definitely not high, but sounds off and is a total DOG.
Old 05-13-13, 12:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the crank sensor is probably not it if the car starts and revs. you have an ignition issue if you can unplug a coilpack and nothing changes. I don't know what else to say you have to go in and check the componenets or I can keep making educated guesses but weve mostly covered the simple stuff.

toyota ignition works like this.
cam and crank sensors feed to ecu > ecu calculates timing > ecu sends signals to both ignitors in an alternating fashion > each ignitor fires its coil when it gets a signal > the coil fires the spark into the center of its distributor > distributor deals out the spark via rotor and cap and wire leads that go to each cylinder > plug should fire when this happens.

the ignitor is what controls the coil pack, so yes make sure its plugged in well, remove it and put it back in if you have to. you can start at the end and see if you have spark at each plug and slowly work your way back. If you are getting spark at each cylinder then something else is very wrong, like you cam shaft may have broken on that side, or the ecu could also be bad. it could also be something simple, you have to trace is all the way back to the ecu. as I said most of the time its the coil, so thats why I recommended swapping the coils from side to side, there is also a chance your new coil doesn't work which is why swapping with a known good one is best.
Old 05-13-13, 04:28 PM
soflo99
Driver

would it be able to red line with a broken camshaft in neutral? also, after I change my wires, my number 8 plug wire melted in half about 7 inches from distributor...had to replace it....it ws brand new
Old 05-14-13, 05:54 AM
soflo99
Driver

could a damaged driver side cam shaft sensor wire cause this?

there is a "clip" on the block that this wire is supposed to be snapped under for safe keeping from the accessory belt. I did notice the wire had a good amount of damage when I secured it back in. could that be a cause? \

or a burnt out cam sensor on my passenger side, which might explain my fine white column of smoke from the front passenger side under the coil pack?

just trying to throw out ideas, I appreciate the time and help.
Old 05-14-13, 07:39 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Random idea: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-this-out.html
Did you replace the spark plugs? I know you replaced your wires.
Old 05-14-13, 07:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soflo99
would it be able to red line with a broken camshaft in neutral? also, after I change my wires, my number 8 plug wire melted in half about 7 inches from distributor...had to replace it....it ws brand new
yes it would because you have 2 pairs of cams so a break on one side would disable that bank regardless of fuel or spark.

Originally Posted by soflo99
could a damaged driver side cam shaft sensor wire cause this?

there is a "clip" on the block that this wire is supposed to be snapped under for safe keeping from the accessory belt. I did notice the wire had a good amount of damage when I secured it back in. could that be a cause? \

or a burnt out cam sensor on my passenger side, which might explain my fine white column of smoke from the front passenger side under the coil pack?

just trying to throw out ideas, I appreciate the time and help.
that could be it I don't even know where the cam sensors are on the 1uz. damaged sensor wires are never good, maybe snap a picture.
Old 05-14-13, 08:30 AM
soflo99
Driver

Angry

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Random idea: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-this-out.html
Did you replace the spark plugs? I know you replaced your wires.
yes, plugs are brand new, done with wires.

As for the link, well... my power steering has not been working for over a year. Last time I got tires done, I guess the guys filled it up for free, cause it worked after that. but probably had a small leak. I don't know if that piece burning up would cause the motors problems though...
Old 05-14-13, 08:42 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

^^That's what I thought, but take a look what the user in that thread said when asked that same question...
("that would not cause the motors problems though")
Old 05-14-13, 08:56 AM
soflo99
Driver

yes it would because you have 2 pairs of cams so a break on one side would disable that bank regardless of fuel or spark.

that could be it I don't even know where the cam sensors are on the 1uz. damaged sensor wires are never good, maybe snap a picture.
Would you be able to discern from the sound of the idle? If it cam shaft broke, would there not be metal on metal clanking? I don't hear much of that aforementioned rattling after having the cat's gutted, and straight piped the resonator. can't wait to hear it when I get it running as it should. I suppose Ill know right away if it fires up right tho

There is a video on youtube called "sc400 poor idle club lexus" I cant link to it because my work block youtube. It is 34 seconds long... if someone could post it up that could be cool.. I was hoping the sound of the idle could help. Just uploaded it 3 minutes ago.

As far as where the CAM sensors are...I thought it was the wire going into the coil pack? I will take a pick @ lunch.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by soflo99; 05-14-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 09:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

there are only 2 wires on those coils, one is a switched 12V that is always on when the key is on (usually orange/black) and the other is the signal from the ignitor that tells it when to fire. If either of these are damaged bad enough the coil would not work.
Old 05-14-13, 09:22 AM
soflo99
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SC400slide
^^That's what I thought, but take a look what the user in that thread said when asked that same question...
("that would not cause the motors problems though")
kinda saw that, Ill go back and check more detail, just don't know how it would effect the valve seals on the motor? am I missing something there?? thanks for the help
Old 05-14-13, 09:23 AM
soflo99
Driver

there are only 2 wires on those coils, one is a switched 12V that is always on when the key is on (usually orange/black) and the other is the signal from the ignitor that tells it when to fire. If either of these are damaged bad enough the coil would not work.
roger that. will get pics at lunch and do a quick inspection of the connections you have been mentioning. thanks

Quick Reply: coil pack