Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So my SC is overheating and I'm still deployed..Awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 08:09 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NixusSC
Is the 1uz sensitive to coolant type or can I run green as long as it's all one type of coolant?

I'll order a tstat from rockauto and nab a new pair of hoses + cap while I'm at it.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks CL
I use regular "AutoZone" antifreeze and mix it with distilled water. As long as it's all the same, it should be fine.
Old 05-24-13, 09:50 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soflo99
you could just go without the t-stat all together, I live in South Florida fine for me
see, and with every 240 i've owned, I've always gone without a tstat as it negates the need to bleed system (which is terrible on ka's if anybody has owned one ).

but I did not like the longer warm up cycles during the winter on them

i don't see many topics or posts about people running without one, so i figured running without was a no go for the 1uz or killed gas mileage or something = /

car should be getting looked at right now...

found nearest parts store in Alachua and checked to make sure they had a tstat and oring in stock, and told the wife to go ahead and pick one up along with a new coolant tank cap and couple jugs of coolant.

....really can't wait to be home and fix my own damn car again
Old 05-24-13, 12:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Get home safe man. The car and wife will be there when you arrive. I would ask where you are deployed to, but I understand OPSEC.

Air Force guy here....
Old 05-24-13, 01:25 PM
NixusSC
Driver

I would ask where you are deployed to
If I told you, I'd have to kill you...I keed I keed...but srsly :P

I'll try and make it back with all my bits and pieces, I like to take pictures of what I'm doing, so I'll share car stuff once I get home.
Old 05-24-13, 03:11 PM
soflo99
Driver

see, and with every 240 i've owned, I've always gone without a tstat as it negates the need to bleed system (which is terrible on ka's if anybody has owned one ).

but I did not like the longer warm up cycles during the winter on them

i don't see many topics or posts about people running without one, so i figured running without was a no go for the 1uz or killed gas mileage or something = /

car should be getting looked at right now...

found nearest parts store in Alachua and checked to make sure they had a tstat and oring in stock, and told the wife to go ahead and pick one up along with a new coolant tank cap and couple jugs of coolant.

....really can't wait to be home and fix my own damn car again

I am in by no means a 1-uz expert. Far from. So not sure long term damage. I am in a very warm climate, so she heats up just fine less a huge cold front! lol.

It is my understanding that its only function is to allow flow of water @ a certain temperature.

This is done for a couple reasons.

1. Brings motor to operational temp quicker than without. ( if you are in cold climate, might not be so kosher)

2. Allows the motor to run at a SLIGHTLY warmer temp than it would run WITHOUT the t-stat, resulting in slightly better emissions, though nearly negligible. ( I used to live in California, and played with Honda b-motors, still have a 1993 DB1 Integra awaiting a full overhaul, blew my crank bearings on my way to florida!!) after I made it here, of course ;-)

In the end, I mainly just pulled it to see if it fixed my problem, it did. So never bothered buying a "new" one, and she is running just fine. Seems like you have the parts ordered already, so no harm no foul. It is the "proper" way to do the repair! Hope that's all it is.

And thank you for serving our Country. I do appreciate it.
Old 05-24-13, 03:30 PM
NixusSC
Driver

Well, I think Alachua is considered north central florida? it gets into the teens during the winter, and if def. sucks on colder days with no heat ha ha,

in savannah, where i'm stationed, I lived on post and my 240s wouldn't even get to the first bar by the time I made it to PT in the morning :P

one problem i saw with the 240s for sure was on the track. On large straightaways or very broad curves at 100+ mph, my temp would visibly start moving up on the gauge. I think the coolant was moving too fast to transfer enough heat from the head, but then again I have nothing to sustantiate this.

And, if anything, I should thank my country for allowing me to serve. It has definitely made me a better man for it.
Old 05-24-13, 07:45 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Have the fan clutch looked at.
Old 05-24-13, 07:59 PM
NixusSC
Driver

Have the fan clutch looked at.
i thought sc400's had hydraulic powered fans?
Old 05-24-13, 09:07 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought sc400's had hydraulic powered fans?
Yes it does.
Old 05-24-13, 11:10 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

fml...I was thinking sc300
Old 05-24-13, 11:11 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

in that case has the fluid lvel been checked?
Old 05-25-13, 07:58 AM
NixusSC
Driver

in that case has the fluid lvel been checked?
i wrote out a list for my wife to give the tech
checking the fan fluid was on the list, thanks for the heads up
she picked up the tstat, coolant cap, and fresh fluid and dropped it off with him as well.
Old 05-25-13, 05:47 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Good deal. Best of luck
Old 05-26-13, 11:44 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Fack...
So my guy says the thermostat was good and they narrowed it to the fact that the hydraulic fan doesn't seem to be spinning fast enough to cool the car at idle, he says the fan speed does not change to cool the car when it comes to a stop...said he was gonna check the temperature sensors, and inspect the fan pump.

I had plans to run a LS400 clutch fan w/ a shroud setup, I did not want to wire in fans with relays and clutter of wires >.<

So who's tinkered with the hydraulic fan problems and what has been your experiences with low fan speed problems?

Thanks CL
Old 05-27-13, 09:05 PM
NixusSC
Driver

Bump, for saving time purposes, can I just jack the fan hydraulic pump off the bracket by taking off the bolts accessible through the pulley or do I need the whole bracket assembly? I can't find this pump anywhere but eBay and the cheapest is 300.00!!

Quick Reply: So my SC is overheating and I'm still deployed..Awesome.