Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Sticky Idle symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13 | 03:28 PM
Bleak
Driver

Default 1JZ Sticky Idle symptoms?

So in this video I'm revving my motor a bit, and notice how the idle gets sticky on the way back down? It sticks to 2k for a bit, then slowly dips back down to idle back normall at 1kish. The big issue with this is that also my throttle is not the most responsive either, sometimes it acts a bit sluggish(not in an exaggerated way). I would like to know, how to relieve these symptoms.

Symptoms:
High idle at startup (1.8-2k)
Irregular idle response (as shown in video)
Old 05-24-13 | 06:22 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode
CL Folding 25,000

You do indeed have high idle. It should be at or around 800. I have the same prob in park, but nowhere else.

As for the sticky throttle, I don't think that is something to worry about too much. It could be the throttle cable lacking lubrication. Sometimes they need some lubricating to stay smooth.
Old 05-24-13 | 08:43 PM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
You do indeed have high idle. It should be at or around 800. I have the same prob in park, but nowhere else.

As for the sticky throttle, I don't think that is something to worry about too much. It could be the throttle cable lacking lubrication. Sometimes they need some lubricating to stay smooth.
lubricate it from where? From the throttle body where the cable goes into the sleeve?

The sticky throttle it's not so much a worrysome problem, it's more me wanting my car to perform how I expect it to really haha. I would love a quick revving 1jz.
Old 05-25-13 | 06:53 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by Bleak
lubricate it from where? From the throttle body where the cable goes into the sleeve?

The sticky throttle it's not so much a worrysome problem, it's more me wanting my car to perform how I expect it to really haha. I would love a quick revving 1jz.
What might help is tightening the throttle cable. Might have a little slack which could cause slower performance.

With the lubing, just spray it as far as you can in.
Old 05-25-13 | 07:02 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

The best way to lubricate any cable, is to remove from the car. Then spray lubricating spray down inside of it, until it comes out the end. That's what I always done when dirt and grime got inside mine on my ATV. Worked great, if indeed that is what causing your problem. Tightening too much will cause it stick even more. You need to adjust it just right for proper throttle response. You also might have a bind in it somewhere and don't know it.
Old 05-25-13 | 09:41 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
The best way to lubricate any cable, is to remove from the car. Then spray lubricating spray down inside of it, until it comes out the end. That's what I always done when dirt and grime got inside mine on my ATV. Worked great, if indeed that is what causing your problem. Tightening too much will cause it stick even more. You need to adjust it just right for proper throttle response. You also might have a bind in it somewhere and don't know it.
Yeah thats what I figured, it looked like tightening it more would make it have less force on the idle sensor next to it. There has to be a sweet spot.
Old 05-30-13 | 05:08 PM
Bleak
Driver

I'm gonna gap my sparkplugs and see if that does anything (I never gapped them before installing) Somewhere between .28 and .30
Old 05-31-13 | 04:24 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

what kind of throttle cable are you using? There are a few throttle cables people use on their swaps, the one you're using might be a bit too long, if you can't adjust the slack out of the cable your next best bet is to find a cable that is shorter for your car. I have a Supra TT cable on mine, and although it is a bit long, i was able to modify the bracket location to remove the slack in the cable after adjusment. I think i remember seeing the old 92-95 camry cables work well, but it's been a while.

the other thing you might want to consider is a sticking throttle plate. Carbon build up behind the throttle plate can cause the throttle to stick that will cause acceleration and idle problems. Take the throttle off the manifold (not all the way, just far enough to get behind there) and clean out the throttle plate with some carb/throttle cleaner. Spraying some into the Idle air intake tube wouldn't hurt as well. After that is all done run the car for a bit and let it burn off all the cleaner and crap. After that, reset you ECU (pull the EFI fuse for about 10 mins), reset your idle speed, and test drive it from there.
Old 06-02-13 | 01:34 AM
Bleak
Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
what kind of throttle cable are you using? There are a few throttle cables people use on their swaps, the one you're using might be a bit too long, if you can't adjust the slack out of the cable your next best bet is to find a cable that is shorter for your car. I have a Supra TT cable on mine, and although it is a bit long, i was able to modify the bracket location to remove the slack in the cable after adjusment. I think i remember seeing the old 92-95 camry cables work well, but it's been a while.

the other thing you might want to consider is a sticking throttle plate. Carbon build up behind the throttle plate can cause the throttle to stick that will cause acceleration and idle problems. Take the throttle off the manifold (not all the way, just far enough to get behind there) and clean out the throttle plate with some carb/throttle cleaner. Spraying some into the Idle air intake tube wouldn't hurt as well. After that is all done run the car for a bit and let it burn off all the cleaner and crap. After that, reset you ECU (pull the EFI fuse for about 10 mins), reset your idle speed, and test drive it from there.
Im using the supra swap throttle cable that they sell on drift motion, and I've done the throttle cleaner before but not while I had these symptoms.. (and I never reset the ECU) something else to try I guess.. and yes, there is slack in my line!! (but putting it all the way tight doesnt seem to fix my problems, can make the needle drop slower)