Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

r154 vibration / shaking issue.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 06:14 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down r154 vibration / shaking issue.....

Hey so I have a sc300 with a mk4 r154 mated to a 2jz engine. Ever since I went from w58 to the current r154 I have been struggling to get this thing up and running but I have yet to feel comfortable driving it with these issues with the tranny swap. What I am having are some vibration issues..Vibration starts at about 1600rpm to about 2200rpm and then mellows out a little and does not get worse. Its not a heavy shake but enough to bug the hell out of me and rattle around some coins in my interior. Vibration is throughout the whole car and is currently off all fours and in the air. I suspect it is the cheapo ebay clutch kit..I have ruled out the flywheel as I disconnected the pressure plate from it and ran perfect with no vibration. Also not the carrier bearing, drive shaft or carrier bearing because it still shakes in neutral and with the car being in the air. So its pretty much when I only bolt the clutch to the flywheel. I followed the directions lining up the dowel pins, slowly bolting on the clutch in a star pattern and still shaking. I changed the flywheel and pilot bearing a few times already so basically it what im asking is if a NEW clutch and just be bad and a POS to cause vibration?? I just don't want fork out more cash on this thing for a expensive clutch and still have the same problem. Anyone else with or had similar issues?

thanks
Old 07-31-13, 10:08 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my r154 up and running in my SC400 and I have similar vibrations. I am pretty sure I destroyed my almost brand new engine mounts by hanging the tranny on the engine. Whoops. I am going to replace them and see if that helps. Mine vibrates in neutral with or without the clutch depressed so I know it isn't the gearbox. Could be flywheel/PP out of balance, too.

My R154 makes quite a bit of noise and vibration so I am trying to get used to it and figure out any problems. There is some high pitched whining at high speeds, there is vibration at lower speeds, etc. It may just be the result of putting a truck tranny in a sports car. My car certainly isn't the buttery smooth Lexus it was with the auto tranny in it!!! It's fun but it is going to take some getting used to. Let me know what you find out about the vibrations and I will update once I get the new mounts installed. (I'm not looking forward to that job!)

My R154 pops out of 2nd gear during downshifts, which isn't cool at all. (don't tell me to use the brakes instead of downshifting, I've heard it all before) Anyone know what that means? I am currently running Amsoil MT 75W-90 but thinking about switching to Redline MT90 since everyone (most people) with an R154 swear by it.
Old 08-02-13, 08:03 AM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue ended being my 1 piece drive shaft. It was way out of balance.

You can jack the rear of the car up, slowly go through the gears to see if it's the drive shaft. That's how I checked mine.
Old 08-02-13, 09:35 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using a used flywheel? Has the flywheel been resurfaced? I learned the hard way when I installed a new clutch. I didn't get the flywheel resurfaced and I had the same shake/vibration you have at low RPMs, especially 1st and 2nd gear. I also went with the Ebay clutch kit but that was not my problem, I swapped in a new flywheel using the same ebay clutch kit and the vibration went away.
Old 08-27-13, 07:04 PM
kinch09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything else on this. I'm having the same issue but mine does it over bumps as well. I'm thinking it could be my trans mount or drive shaft.
Old 08-27-13, 07:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it can be only a hand ful of things. I say the motor mounts, transmission mount, center bearing, driveshaft, and or the driveshaft rear rubber plug. Jack the car up and get under neath it and have someone go through the gears while you inspect.