Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clutch disc melted to flywheel??? Southbend/R154

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 07:38 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
Find help in the thread you started for it dude, we don't care about your problems in this specific one if it's not related to fused discs.

Flywheel might be salvageable, but itll most likely have to be cut. I took a scotchbright disc on a die grinder to mine and it didn't wanna take that stuff off easy. More like not really at all haha. Finally got most off, but deemed it to be ****ty and threw in a used setup I had laying around. Once I freed the disc it made the worst grinding sound ever, and that's when I found the pad melted to the fly/pp

the stuff on the fly is raised off of it a good amount

sorry for the crappy pics, but yeah. The one of the pp, that is also raised material. I'm going to have the pp rebuilt and the flywheel surfaced, then toss it on my gf's car. I've already thrown a push converted super single in my car and saving for the twin upgrade now

Just trying to find help like you are man, I searched , I posted , 2 threads and 4 days later ..nada.

I'm was going with a South Bend clutch also.

Sorry I jacked your thread.

My bad.
Old 06-16-13, 06:34 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Can this occur with a single launch? Or is it generally related to multiple drag launches or passes back to back and the heat builds up? I'd like to make a few passes at a local 1/8th mile but this scares me. I have a comp clutch stg 4 on street tires and a open diff so it's not like its going t really hook.
It was the first time I launched the car that night, and 3rd time overall. I'm was also on street tires and an open diff. Honestly I didn't ride the clutch at all. I just dumped it because I read the warnings from Southbend. That's why I don't understand how this happened.

I just hope Southbend can help me out a little on replacing the unit if it is completely bad. I've never had this problem with my previous cars. They were all on single disc units making much more power/torque.

Originally Posted by snakehead
Just trying to find help like you are man, I searched , I posted , 2 threads and 4 days later ..nada.

I'm was going with a South Bend clutch also.

Sorry I jacked your thread.

My bad.
No problem man, we are all here for help.