Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Faulty Ignition Coil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 07:19 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Check this out. Id try it and see if it might be the fuel pump ECU causing issues. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

As for the ECU, a reliable source to purchase from would be Gazi, or Ali, here on CL. The part out SC's and is a reliable source.
Old 08-06-13, 12:41 PM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current status and maybe good news to report. Man what an up and down morning.

My local serviceman called and said he thinks problem solved and come pick car up. He had
changed plugs and serpentine belt. Commented plugs were pretty bad shape. Also said
CEL now off..no code 31. Felt plugs were problem all along. So, I am elated, paid my bill and
on way home the car completely died dead in its tracks. I was able to restart and limp to a safe
shaded spot. I let it cool down a bit but restart was was so bad car would stall out in gear. CEL
light back on again....complete depression.

So I lifted hood and unhooked the MAF. Car started up beautifully and revving up above 5000
no problem. Drove home with no problem and on a straight stretch it ran flawlessly. Got on phone
and told serviceman what happened. He said that it had run well even after being hot. But
after his test run he had removed the old MAF ( he said bench test showed weak results on the
IAT probes) but did not road test after switch. He suggested I re-install the old unit. So I switched
from new to old MAF and fired car up and everything great. Bled CEL from dash, restarted and it
stayed off. Parked car in bright sun for hour. Got in and cabin was brutally hot. Engine fired up
and small test run went well.

So in summary I guess the bad plugs were causing error codes to show up and that even though
his bench test showed the old MAF not totally up to par, it still works and the new one
is either faulty or not compatible as was eluded to in previous posts.

Knowing how these problems come and go, I am crossing my fingers that the new plugs have
done the trick. Lets hope I don't have to come back with a bad followup report.

Thx to all for your support.

==================================

slide, how about this one

Timothy 1, 5-23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Last edited by SC93; 08-06-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 02:42 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by SC93
Current status and maybe good news to report. Man what an up and down morning.

My local serviceman called and said he thinks problem solved and come pick car up. He had
changed plugs and serpentine belt. Commented plugs were pretty bad shape. Also said
CEL now off..no code 31. Felt plugs were problem all along. So, I am elated, paid my bill and
on way home the car completely died dead in its tracks. I was able to restart and limp to a safe
shaded spot. I let it cool down a bit but restart was was so bad car would stall out in gear. CEL
light back on again....complete depression.

So I lifted hood and unhooked the MAF. Car started up beautifully and revving up above 5000
no problem. Drove home with no problem and on a straight stretch it ran flawlessly. Got on phone
and told serviceman what happened. He said that it had run well even after being hot. But
after his test run he had removed the old MAF ( he said bench test showed weak results on the
IAT probes) but did not road test after switch. He suggested I re-install the old unit. So I switched
from new to old MAF and fired car up and everything great. Bled CEL from dash, restarted and it
stayed off. Parked car in bright sun for hour. Got in and cabin was brutally hot. Engine fired up
and small test run went well.

So in summary I guess the bad plugs were causing error codes to show up and that even though
his bench test showed the old MAF not totally up to par, it still works and the new one
is either faulty or not compatible as was eluded to in previous posts.

Knowing how these problems come and go, I am crossing my fingers that the new plugs have
done the trick. Lets hope I don't have to come back with a bad followup report.

Thx to all for your support.

==================================

slide, how about this one

Timothy 1, 5-23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Since you changed the plugs as well, I'd think it'd be a good idea to change the wires with them. Maintenance sakes. That is something I always do.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "non karmen vortex type" was incompatible with the SC to begin with. The SC is picky and won't accept different parts made in china.

Glad the SC is back to health!
Old 08-06-13, 04:19 PM
SC93
Rookie

Smile

Happy as a pig in mud and elated with current performance. Can't believe how much improvement
I am seeing. Just took a little 10 mi journey to do some chores and car responded like new. Am feeling
confident problem is solved.

I have two comments:

1) In all my research re this type of problem I never saw where a person replaced plugs and that
solved the basic problem where codes 24/31 appeared and then all was well. I guess in my case
plugs were so bad it induced these error codes and led me to faulty FAM (AFM). Has this ever
been documented where wasted plugs caused these codes to appear?

2) Secondly, I would like to make my experience available to the forum where members can get
possible clues to solve problems similar to mine. I do not know what the best procedure is
to categorize my experience....like under what topic. Can someone help me here or if a
moderator wishes to move this thread to a better titled category I would welcome the help.

one happy camper but never know when bad weather might suddenly appear.
Old 08-06-13, 04:39 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Happy as a pig in mud and elated with current performance. Can't believe how much improvement
I am seeing. Just took a little 10 mi journey to do some chores and car responded like new. Am feeling
confident problem is solved.
Good deal! Enjoy that SC!

I have two comments:

1) In all my research re this type of problem I never saw where a person replaced plugs and that
solved the basic problem where codes 24/31 appeared and then all was well. I guess in my case
plugs were so bad it induced these error codes and led me to faulty FAM (AFM). Has this ever
been documented where wasted plugs caused these codes to appear?
I'm sure it has been documented somewhere sometime on this forum. But it is something I see every once in awhile.

2) Secondly, I would like to make my experience available to the forum where members can get
possible clues to solve problems similar to mine. I do not know what the best procedure is
to categorize my experience....like under what topic. Can someone help me here or if a
moderator wishes to move this thread to a better titled category I would welcome the help.

one happy camper but never know when bad weather might suddenly appear.
That is what a forum is for, helping each other correcting issues. You answer each thread according to your knowledge to assist in somebodies issues.

That would be great if you contributed to this forum...assisting others in their SC problems.

Enjoy that 93 SC4! It's a really nice car. Glad to hear the issue is solved.
Old 08-06-13, 05:11 PM
SC93
Rookie

One last post before I cal it a day...week..whatever.

I am hurt that no one has opened my garage door as yet and
commented on my true pride and joy of 48 yrs of original ownership .
Maybe a 1965 Mustang is not in vogue but it was a big part of
my younger days and ...blasphemy... I think I love it more than the sc400.
Sweet "chine".
Old 08-06-13, 05:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

One last post before I cal it a day...week..whatever.

I am hurt that no one has opened my garage door as yet and
commented on my true pride and joy of 48 yrs of original ownership .
Maybe a 1965 Mustang is not in vogue but it was a big part of
my younger days and ...blasphemy... I think I love it more than the sc400.
Sweet "chine".
One owner since 1965 is a long time. It's close which one IMO I like more...probably the SC.
I see why you love it more then the SC. Lifetime with a vehicle gets on ya pretty quick. Just don't let the car, even a Bugatti Veyron, get in the way of marriage of almost 50 years.