Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant sensor for electric fans/random overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13 | 09:55 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Default Coolant sensor for electric fans/random overheating

I have Jays SC300, with the built 2JZ. He has dual electric fans, using the HKS management system. He told me that the fans are wired into the system to reduce temperatures after the car has been turned off. I noticed the other night that the fans stayed running for over two hours. I went out to try and start it and of course, it wouldn't. I trickled charged the Optima battery for about four hours. It started right up. I drove it around today and I topped off the coolant, and I could not get it to duplicate.

I also wanted to add, i drove the car from his house to mine, which is about 55 miles on way, and it never ran hot, or the temperature needle never moved. After I let it sit for several hours, me and the wife drove it to dinner. On the way, the temp gauge started to rise to Hot for a second, then back down, then back up and back down. It fluctuated the whole time till I parked the car, and added about a gallon and a half of antifreeze. Once I popped the hood, I then realized a large portion of coolant under the car, and heard something hissing. I then realized the coolant to the turbo, triple ball bearing Comp turbo, that it was busted. This line is ran between the manifold with the oil feed. In other words, both lines are ran through the middle of the manifold. After I added the antifreeze, the temp kept moving till I got it home. It didn't stay at Hot for more than a second, then back and down.

I went to start the car and move it this morning to finish cutting grass, and it took about a quart of antifreeze. I left the cap off till the thermostat opened up, then I closed it off. I drove the car for about 20 miles, in and out of boost, no overheat, no needle rise, no more fluid coming from that line to the turbo. I am now lost.

I never could get it to run even a little hot. When I parked it in the driveway, the fans stayed on after the turbo timer went off. It is set for 30 seconds. The fans kicked on and off twice after the car was stopped and the turbo timer was off.

I understand the purpose of the sensor, but is it bad or is the line to the turbo the cooperate, or the thermostat, or is it the needle playing head games, which I doubt due to the coolant leak. What has got me the lost is why the line is not leaking now?????

Jay did top off the coolant before I left. He also stated the battery has been draining more than normal, plus he has noticed coolant going somewhere. Jay also just put in a new red top Optima Battery. I thought for sure it was the line, cause I could see it really hissing out of it, but now it aint.

I need to get this looked at, before I take the car back to him. I also smell a faint odor of coolant.

Where do I start first, and what do you guys think???
Old 08-06-13 | 09:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

What, 40 views and no reply????
Old 08-06-13 | 08:54 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

get a pressure tester and test the system for leaks. Check the wiring for the fans, maybe a faulty relay?