Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

shaft seal leaking??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 10:19 AM
TLsc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaft seal leaking??

so ever since i've been done with my swap. i came across my shaft seal leaking tranny fluid, so i replace and put a new seal in but now its leaking more than before?? had no clue what's the problem is but could it be my driveshaft that's causing this to happen? help the brother out
Old 08-07-13, 12:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When you say swap, is it a R154 or W58 tranny? What driveshaft did you use? Custom? What seal did you use? Is the driveshaft all the way in? There is some give on how far it will go in to the tranny. I would double check the center bearing mount and possibly loosen it up and slide it up forward a little, then retighten. If you did the R154 swap, try a W58 seal. They are little tighter and will seat a little better. How much boost are you using? Does your tranny have a vent or pop off valve on top? Is it working correctly? Alot of people complain of this. I did at one time and repalced the seal and topped it back off. No more leaks.
Old 08-07-13, 04:20 PM
TLsc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
When you say swap, is it a R154 or W58 tranny? What driveshaft did you use? Custom? What seal did you use? Is the driveshaft all the way in? There is some give on how far it will go in to the tranny. I would double check the center bearing mount and possibly loosen it up and slide it up forward a little, then retighten. If you did the R154 swap, try a W58 seal. They are little tighter and will seat a little better. How much boost are you using? Does your tranny have a vent or pop off valve on top? Is it working correctly? Alot of people complain of this. I did at one time and repalced the seal and topped it back off. No more leaks.
Thanks for theinfo and i am runnijg the r154 tranny. Im just running stock psi for now but if i do run more psi do i need to use a diff seal for that? Not sure if it had a vent or pop off valve on top of the tranny but what does it do? Everything work fine just the seal. I will be sure to get the w58 seal.
Old 08-07-13, 04:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Even if you have the R154 use the W58 seal next time. It works also and is a little tighter. The pop off valves relieves the pressure Instead blowing out the seal. The pressure has to go somewhere, usually the weakest place.