Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Don't Let Them Rip You Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 08:02 AM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Let Them Rip You Off

Took car to my local serviceman because of an ongoing performance problem described in
detail under the thread "Faulty Ignition Coil Question".

In short the problem was corrected but the point I am addressing is being ripped off for car
maintenance work. He did a lot of diagnostic checking and general inspection of all the
electrical components and so on and could not isolate the problem based on the error code.
He did suggest I change the plugs and serpentine belt and was candid that I may have to visit
the local Toyota dealer where they had more diagnostic tools and obviously see many cars
like mine. Fortunately the plug change cleared everything up and car is running great.

Get this: 1) New plugs (NKG 7032 fine wire platinum..he said never had any problems with these
even though not top line) , 2) new serpentine belt, labor including all the diagnostic and thorough
under hood inspection...total tab $206 including tax. Car was there overnight and half of next day.
Was expecting a much higher bill...I was very pleased.

I live in Pensacola and this is not exactly a low cost of living area but my main point here is:
Look/ask around and find a knowledgeable, reputable local person. Use him when necessary and
after a few repeat visits he will learn your car which makes each subsequent trip better.

Never have I had a good experience with dealer service. I feel sorry for the poor school teacher
who ends up there for whatever reason and doesn't have a clue.

I know this was "shaggy dog long" to make a point but honest servicemen are out there you
just have to find them.

' 93 SC400 90K mi
Old 08-08-13, 09:39 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say trouble shoot yourself. There is all answers on this forum. You just must be patient and you will find it. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-08-13, 10:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I learnt that the hard way when I first bought an SC I went to have the serpentine belt changed and the guy wanted like $80. Realizing that you don't even have to remove one bolt to remove it I bought the belt and did it myself. that shop really inspired me to do my own maintanence. The plug change is actually much more involved as you have to remove the throttle body and may be worth having someone do it for you.

I wish you had posted on here earlier I would have recommended Iridium over platinum plugs. platinum is what the SC originally came with, but the Iridiums are the same price and much much better plug technology. our engines love them, the part number for a stock sc300 is: BKR5EIX-11
Old 08-08-13, 11:21 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah I learnt that the hard way when I first bought an SC I went to have the serpentine belt changed and the guy wanted like $80. Realizing that you don't even have to remove one bolt to remove it I bought the belt and did it myself. that shop really inspired me to do my own maintanence. The plug change is actually much more involved as you have to remove the throttle body and may be worth having someone do it for you.

I wish you had posted on here earlier I would have recommended Iridium over platinum plugs. platinum is what the SC originally came with, but the Iridiums are the same price and much much better plug technology. our engines love them, the part number for a stock sc300 is: BKR5EIX-11

Ali...

I was aware that the Iridium is far superior but when I priced them online and at local auto
parts stores they were anywhere from 8 to $14 range. He said he has used this style plug for
years with no problems. They were about $4 ea with his markup...the plug would be a little
over $3 if I bought. Where did you price/buy your Iridium plugs??

Thx for comments.
Old 08-08-13, 01:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

oh those are good prices for the platinum I guess it must have gone down. I only use the coppers or the iridiums, but there is nothing wrong with the platinum that is what the car originally came with because they didn't want such a short plug change interval as coppers, not because they spark better than coppers. Iridium came out much later than our car's and are basically the best of both worlds. On an n/a car you should be fine to run those as they are a pain to change out, I would leave them in at this point should be fine for 60k or so I think thats what they are rated.

You can get the iridiums online in packs of 4 sometimes for a discount or even at the parts store, there is another ngk number for them the 4 digit version I forgot what it is. you are right they are double then the plat as the iridiums are about $7 a piece.
On our engines though I feel the $50+ plug change is worth it since its so much work to do the plugs, well on a stock car anyways.
Old 08-08-13, 03:49 PM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
oh those are good prices for the platinum I guess it must have gone down. I only use the coppers or the iridiums, but there is nothing wrong with the platinum that is what the car originally came with because they didn't want such a short plug change interval as coppers, not because they spark better than coppers. Iridium came out much later than our car's and are basically the best of both worlds. On an n/a car you should be fine to run those as they are a pain to change out, I would leave them in at this point should be fine for 60k or so I think thats what they are rated.

You can get the iridiums online in packs of 4 sometimes for a discount or even at the parts store, there is another ngk number for them the 4 digit version I forgot what it is. you are right they are double then the plat as the iridiums are about $7 a piece.
On our engines though I feel the $50+ plug change is worth it since its so much work to do the plugs, well on a stock car anyways.

ALI..

I'm 77. Averaging 4500 mi/yr on my car...90K mi, 20 yrs old. I'll be lucky to be around for the
next necessary plug change... but it is nice to give your car the best it deserves. If I had an
appreciative recipient of this magnificent machine after my demise I would have gone first class.
Old 08-08-13, 05:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well I am glad the problem was sorted so you can enjoy your SC. Its def nice when it turns out to be smaller than originally thought.
Old 08-08-13, 05:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC93
ALI..

I'm 77. Averaging 4500 mi/yr on my car...90K mi, 20 yrs old. I'll be lucky to be around for the
next necessary plug change... but it is nice to give your car the best it deserves. If I had an
appreciative recipient of this magnificent machine after my demise I would have gone first class.
You got taste old timer!
Old 08-08-13, 08:51 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed 100% man. If you let em, some shops will ake you for a costly ride. Glad your sc is back up and running