Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ SC300 will not rev past 2000 rpm STILL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 11:57 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one I pulled out of gfs 92 that I replaced with a harness made for an aristo this past week. A/C and everything. I pulled all the wrap apart to redo it so its clean cosmetically for resale. Only reason it came out is because aristo ecus are cheaper than 1j ecus and 1j ecus tend to **** the bed more often than 2j.
Old 10-04-13, 07:36 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vrank
I have one I pulled out of gfs 92 that I replaced with a harness made for an aristo this past week. A/C and everything. I pulled all the wrap apart to redo it so its clean cosmetically for resale. Only reason it came out is because aristo ecus are cheaper than 1j ecus and 1j ecus tend to **** the bed more often than 2j.
Can you PM me?
How easily with that work with a 1J/SC? Aren't the harnesses pretty different?
Old 10-04-13, 09:25 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

I meant to say aristo ecu. I made that harness from basically scratch (leftover wiring i had from doing various swap harnesses over the years) for her sc to utilize the aristo ecu just because the ecu's tend to be easier/cheaper to find. There's actually pictures of me building the harness in my thread mrs1jz headache build. I built it, car had issues, though maybe it was wiring because it was my first time running my own circuitry instead of converting two harnesses. Built the 1j harness, same prob and turned out the idiot I bought the engine from had the t belt off a tooth. Ill pm you my number.
Old 10-04-13, 09:18 PM
Lokz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Star to trigger the crank sensor is behind the timing gear after you remove the crank pulley IIRC that is.
Old 10-07-13, 08:59 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Thanks.

Vrank I will check for your PM

Ive been sick so I have not been able to check this out yet but first thing.
Old 10-10-13, 06:47 PM
emoFTW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this?
Old 10-15-13, 09:54 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Not yet. I was in a bike accident then I had to take my car to Mishimoto for some product stuffs. soon though.
Old 10-23-13, 06:29 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

So the trigger wheel was not loose. Mike drilled a hole and welded it up anyway. He said there was a lot of dirt inside however.

Also he noticed the timing belt tensioner was seized. So he ordered a new one that should be here today. Im not sure if that will have much of a bearing as the belt had good tension.

Still no video. My other car went down and now I'm stuck on my moto. So close to just buying another engine but that engine probably won't work either judging by my luck.
Old 10-23-13, 10:48 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish I was closer, I would come out and try to go through it with you. Don't give up on it man, you will figure it out eventually!
Old 10-23-13, 12:23 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Drilled a hole in what? You just tack it with the tig where its pressed onto the cog. Sounds like you've pretty much isolated everything to the harness.
Old 10-23-13, 12:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

are you sure you don't have a cracked connector on the map sensor or tps. double check the pins are not backing out of the map sensor connector, sometimes the plastic tabs break from someone not removing the pins properly or with age, and the pins will back out a hair when you put the connector on. had it happen with my TPS just the other day had to change the connector, even pushing the pins back in did not seem to remedy it until the brand new connector was on and it clicked on tight onto the sensor.

I have seen the rev limit from a crank sensor with the wiring reversed and it would just bounce around the rpm it couldn't get past. from your video it looks like it cuts out and forces you all the way down to idle, which is more like what the ecu does when it sees too much boost or if there is something wrong with the map signal, or another signal. I would bet it is throwing the appropriate code when it happens. If you get the cel to work, it would likely show a code 31 for a map issue.
I would check the connector and check voltage at the map sensor and make sure that is right.

***edit*** I looked at your original video again. did you ever notice how the speedometer is shooting up when they are revving it, even though the car is standing still. also the odometer goes up a whole kilometer just from revving it. at 48 seconds it reads "67" and then it goes to "68". also you can see him somehow hit 40km/hr revving it. there may be something going on with your speed signal and maybe now it got worse.
The jdm ecu's will do a soft cut exactly like the problem you are describing when you hit speed cut. maybe somehow its falesly telling the ecu you are over the speed limit and it cuts you out. maybe pull the wire to the ecu for the speed input as a test. I have never seen that before so I am just putting it out there looks odd to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQH5H...ature=youtu.be

A new video after the fixed injectors might also shed some more light on whats happening now.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-23-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 12:32 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
are you sure you don't have a cracked connector on the map sensor or tps. double check the pins are not backing out of the map sensor connector.

I have seen the rev limit from a crank sensor with the wiring reversed and it would just bounce around the rpm it couldn't get past. from your video it looks like it cuts out and forces you all the way down to idle, which is more like what the ecu does when it sees too much boost or if there is something wrong with the map signal.
I would check the voltage at the map sensor and make sure that is right.

If you get the cel to work, it would show a code 31 for this.
Good idea. I will check that.
The TPS we changed twice. Changed the entire throttle body so I dont think thats it.
Tried a few map sensors but never checked the plug or connector. Just the wiring.
Old 10-23-13, 01:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I edited my post about the speed issue after you responded, take a look at that as well.
Old 10-23-13, 01:57 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the speed is going up because it is a half cut. The output is likely to be freewheeling a bit due to no driveshaft loading it.
Old 10-24-13, 06:41 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Yeah as stock hatch said that video with the speedo going was the half cut.
The engine went into my red car and ran fine for a year. Everything worked. Speedo, tempsensors, evreything. Its just after the reshell that things went bad.

Quick Reply: 1JZ SC300 will not rev past 2000 rpm STILL!